Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childminding Mums

Options
  • 18-09-2007 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi there,

Just wondering does anyone know any mums who are childminding other kids to make some money/keep their sanity!!! Would be really interested in hearing their experiences...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a childminder and have been childminding for the last 7 years. My younger boy was almost 3 years old when I started childminding.

I hadn't planned on becoming a childminder but just started looking after one child part-time for the cousin of another mum I knew. Within a few weeks I took on a baby girl then word spread and I gradually took on more children and then siblings came along.

Some families moved away or the children started playschool then school. At the moment I've lots of part-time children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

deisemum wrote:
    I've lots of part-time children.

OK, I'm sure you knew this was coming, but, what's a part time child?

nipplenuts wrote:
    OK, I'm sure you knew this was coming, but, what's a part time child?

lol occupational hazard losing my sanity, I meant part timers not having them full time. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭SarahMc

Lots of Childminders start like you, they fall into it, they are at home minding their own children, and are asked by a friend/ neighbour to mind a child.

Mostly once you are very clear up front what expectations are, things work out brilliantly.

You are not alone, 37,000 Childminders in Ireland. Do you have any specific questions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are there insurance, liability issues?

• Advertisement

Childminding Ireland have a group insurance scheme that offers cover specific to Childminders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

deisemum wrote:
    Childminding Ireland have a group insurance scheme that offers cover specific to Childminders

Wasn't aware of that, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Be aware that if you have children they may grow up to resent the fact that you minded other children, especially if they're around the same age. There's a lot of politics when dealing with your own children in front of others and vice versa. If things aren't handled tactfully, disaster could ensue.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Kildrought

I may be wrong and in which case I will apologise in advance if I am...but I believe Niamhb is a researcher for RTE and have reported her post on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

I looked after 2 other kids as well as my own for 2 years. The extra money came in useful, but I found it tied me down more than I would have liked. I think if you're going to do it, you need to have enough children minded for the money to be worth the fact that you really will be in a full time job, and unable to simply pop to the shops when you feel like it.

I contacted my insurance providers, and they informed me that if it was just 2 children not your own, then your own insurance would cover it. I never did any further research.

Fox_in_Socks

• Advertisement
Advertisement