Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brake Line/Hose on a Micra?

Options
  • 18-09-2007 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

I was hoping some of you guys here can answer this question.

My girlfriends Micra is 1995 in great condition bar 1 thing the brake line/hose has failed its NCT. I went to the test this morning and the guy said I need to get it replaced as its corroded.

Does anyone know would it be better to go get a new car or is it cheap enought to replace? Its her 1st car and I think she wants to hang on to it for another 6 months or so.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Which brake line (front or rear)? It shouldn't be too big a job. Get a few quotes and then decide but if this is all that it failed on then maybe consider keeping it for nother while yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

kbannon wrote:
    Which brake line (front or rear)? It shouldn't be too big a job. Get a few quotes and then decide but if this is all that it failed on then maybe consider keeping it for nother while yet!

Its a rear one.

If its not too big a job then I reckon she will keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

If its corroded then it'll be one of the metal brake pipes, not the rubber flexible ones.

You will not be able to buy one in a dealer or on-line you will need to leave it into any decent mechanic who will remove the old one and make up a new one, or have one made, to suit.

Maximum and hours labour and costs should be no more than €30 for parts. Get both sides done BTW !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thank you. Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Alot of places just sand off the rust, if it's just surface rust, and paint them with "tremclad" type paint... The rust may only be on the surface of the brake line... Quick-fit recommended this to a friend of mine who had a similar problem..

Of course if the rust is deeper the line will have to be replaced...

• Advertisement
Advertisement