Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weihrauch HW 90

Options
  • 18-09-2007 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭

Does anyone here own or have experience with the Weihrauch HW 90 air rifle? I was thinking of getting one as a gift for my old man who is renewing his Northern Ireland FAC at the moment. I've looked at a couple of other guns (Browning Vectis and some BSAs) but wasn't overly impressed with the quality of those in general. I've been told that the HW90 will be 26 ft lbs which is excellent but on the other hand I've heard that the gas spring sometimes needs refilling. Is this correct? The best price I've been quoted in NI is circa €520 but there is a wide upper variation. How does the price sound? (In England they seem to be cheaper but the guns are under half the power). Are there any dealers in Dublin/wicklow area who supply them?

THanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I had one of those for a while el tel .
    26ft lbs sounds a bit strong to me i think mine was about 19 or so .
    Excellent air rifle all the same works real well with the flat vermin pell.
    In my back yard i have 44yrds from house to ditch and i could get inch groups no prob.
    Try john lambert in camolin i sent a friend of mine to him to buy two for his pest control company and he is delighted with them.
    Ill pm johns number to ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Thanks Foxhunter, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

the HW 80 is another nice one in FAC, some don't like the recoil on the HW90 but i've never fired one.Tunned they would run about 18-22 Ft/lb higher and the recol would be way to harsh. you'll get 20 years out of a good spring so don't be put off. the best rifles at FAC levels are the PCP's though no recoil and much higher levels 26FT/Lb +
    take a look on www.airgunBBS.com
    Bryan

Thanks BryanL - loads of info on that site, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi el tel. You have a pm.

• Advertisement

Major thread resurection time! Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd re visit this one!

Further to my query below, I bought a HW90 a couple of years ago but haven't really used it as much as I should. It weighs a tonne and is super powerful but I'm just rubbish using it with open sights.

So, time to get a scope. Only thing is I've heard that these things much scopes and I will need a 'Dampa mount'. I phoned the oiginal dealer and he can't shed any light on dampa mounts and says I need a one-piece mount.

Can anyone clear this up for me, and perhaps suggest whee I can get the necessay mount and recommend a good scope?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

el tel wrote: »
    Major thread resurection time! Instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd re visit this one!

Further to my query below, I bought a HW90 a couple of years ago but haven't really used it as much as I should. It weighs a tonne and is super powerful but I'm just rubbish using it with open sights.

So, time to get a scope. Only thing is I've heard that these things much scopes and I will need a 'Dampa mount'. I phoned the oiginal dealer and he can't shed any light on dampa mounts and says I need a one-piece mount.

Can anyone clear this up for me, and perhaps suggest whee I can get the necessay mount and recommend a good scope?

Thanks.

A guy i know has Picatinny rails that can be used.

Is there much felt recoil of your air rifle?
    I have been told some air rifles are harder on scopes that reg rifles.

I'm not an air rifle person so unsure.

Sparks Fires Air Rifle and RRPC AFAIK

andyone has a BSA scope for sale on the for sale thread small money might do you if it is suited to your rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I gave up on scopes with my Gamo .22 I went through 3 scopes in about a year. TBH I don't know if it was me as it was my first gun at the time, but there is a good kick out it for what it is. At the time I was putting a lot of pellets through it most weeks, but it seemed to be very hard on scopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Odysseus wrote: »
    I gave up on scopes with my Gamo .22 I went through 3 scopes in about a year. TBH I don't know if it was me as it was my first gun at the time, but there is a good kick out it for what it is. At the time I was putting a lot of pellets through it most weeks, but it seemed to be very hard on scopes.
    Conventional riflescopes (even VERY expensive ones) aren't able for the 'double-recoil' generated by piston type airguns, and will usually fail in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Well Docter scopes are shock proof as i would have thought are a few other top range scopes.

Never heard of double recoil on air guns before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

fodda wrote: »
    Well Docter scopes are shock proof as i would have thought are a few other top range scopes.

Never heard of double recoil on air guns before.

THIS explains 'double recoil' -

http://www.theoben.co.uk/files/ac_scope.pdf

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    THIS explains 'double recoil' -

http://www.theoben.co.uk/files/ac_scope.pdf

tac

you didn't happend to download the pdf? The link/domain seems to be dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

you didn't happend to download the pdf? The link/domain seems to be dead.

Worked perfectly for me when I tried it twenty seconds ago.

Try just opening the webpage - www.theoben.co.uk

Here is the text from the Theoben homepage - prices around eu55 or so, depending on the scope ring diameter and so on..

Dampa Mount

HOW DOES IT WORK?
    Theoben® have adopted a unique approach to the problem of unwanted scope movement or indeed scope damage, by using a combination of rubber mounting, coupled with precision guideways to keep your scope perfectly zeroed. It is generally accepted that the 2-way recoil produced from a spring piston air rifle will produce extremely high G-forces that act on the rifle scope. In the past, the cures attempted have met with only modest success. Larger mounts, recoil arresting blocks, etc. The main element of Theoben's® total success is that the scope is allowed to float just at the moment when recoil happens, then with some clever design the scope recovers completely back to its original position. The important thing is that it has not been subjected to a shock wave that all other scope mount systems transmit. 1" and 30mm tube scope.

Terry Doe won the 1993 British Spring Gun Championship with a Dampa Mount. Quote from Terry; "From now on when I use a recoiling rifle, I'll always use a Dampa Mount"

Clip-on Dampa Mount, suitable for 1 inch scopes, and now also avaiable in a 30mm to fit most rifles. The side clamp on this mount can be reversed and so cover a very wide range of dove tail groove sizes. Fits up to 50mm* object lens scopes. *May not fit all parallax correcting 50mm scopes.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Rovi wrote: »
    Conventional riflescopes (even VERY expensive ones) aren't able for the 'double-recoil' generated by piston type airguns, and will usually fail in short order.

The cross hairs moveed with the first one I end up with a X rather than a + then it just kept going out of zero, the other two just went kept going out of zero and I eventually end up with the dial at the last click on them.

buy a REAL rifle, and use a cheap scope. Problem solved :D:D:D

Thanks tac, appears to be woking now as you say! Much appreciated.

Thanks tac, appears to be woking now as you say! Much appreciated.

For a second i thought you meant me, Too many Tac's on here :D:D

2nd thread resurrection!

Have my HW90, got a Hawke scope last week and took the gun out for its 3rd outing in 3 years of ownership! After 4 shots the gun wouldn't fire anymore - there doesn't appear to be enough pressure in the ram ( I noticed it was way to easy to cock - before it was extremely hard to do so) and the gun emits an asthmatic 'pfffft' noise insufficient to move the pellet from the breech.

Right, I'm guessing it needs pumped up. Could this be the case?
    Anyone ever done this before on a gas ram?

All advice welcome!

Advertisement