Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAID but not RAID

Options
  • 18-09-2007 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

Folks, I have an ASUS A8N-SLi board and I'm currently using all my SATA slots. This is, there are four empty RAID slots on my motherboard begging to be used. The only thing is I really don't want to use RAID so I was wondering is it possible to use them for a normal single SATA setup and just lob in some new drives there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Yes that is possible provided the third party controller has an "IDE mode" so basically it is not running in RAID mode (most do).

Normally you would go to Asus site to get the driver for the controller but Asus see fit to not host the driver for the Silicon Image 3114 chip so you have to go to SI's site to get it, grab the driver called BASE at the top of the list that is for regular HD's.

You may also need to enable the controller in the bios but do not enable RAID mode leave it in IDE mode.

Are you certain it's an A8N-SLI as that model does not come with 8 SATA ports but the Premium version does.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It's the Deluxe version, 4 SATA and 4 RAID. I was reading the FAQ on the Asus site and it said to use the nVidia controller rather than the Silicon Image one. Good idea/Bad idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

For the primary HD it's best to use the NVIDIA one as the Silicon image one is attached via the PCI bus.

But if you just want to add drives for storage then it makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

AFAIK any raid controller will support a 'JBOD' mode. This is exactly what you're looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Sorry for resurrecting this but the new drive is finally sitting beside so it's time to do this mother...

So basically it's get the BASE driver, install it, reboot hand hop into BIOS, enable the controller but leave it in IDE mode, shut down, install hard drive, reboot into windows, done?

Or the above installation and stuff but just put the controller in JBOD if it's available?

• Advertisement
Advertisement