Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my first build

Options
  • 18-09-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Ive been assemblimg my first build today and come across a problem trying to boot the system.
    Everything seems to be connected and I can get as far as putting the os dosk in but as soon as it says on the screen that the system is inspecting the hardware configuration, it switches itself off!Any ideas what I should be doing/checking for?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

More details needed OS, hardware etc.

Generic suggestions;
    * Update motherboards bios
    * Clear CMOS after bios flash
    * Disable SPD & manually set RAM timings in bios
    * Remove any components bar the minimum to get it to boot e.g any PCI devices, extra HD's etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banes05

trying to install XP on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard,OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 ram and a e6850 cpu

Ive removed any unneeded extras and I'm still having the same thing,it'll stay on for no more than 30 seconds before it switches itself off:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Does it do this only during the OS install? Is it a CPU heat issue? What's it like out of the case with just mobo, CPU, 1 RAM, gfx card?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

1. make sure the speaker is connected. then count the number of beeps before it switches itself off, then check manufacturer forums for the number of beeps.

2. set bios to default values then

3. disconnect all hardware, except video, leave 1 stick of memory and try to boot it then. if you get to the message "no system drive detected" then everything's ok, then try to connect the hardware one by one, see what's causing the problem

once the faulty piece is identified there could be a couple of things: psu do not give sufficient power, or the proc cooler is not connected, or the memory is faulty, or something else entirely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Banes05

Thanks for the help guys, just got it sorted, took it all apart and started again, looks like the cooler for the processor wasn't connected up correct. anyway, thanks for taking the time to help:o

• Advertisement
Advertisement