Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Value of NCB/Insurance?

Options
  • 18-09-2007 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Following on from the 'scumbag damaged our car door trying to break into it' thread, can you give me your opinions on what you would do here?

Some knacker bent the drivers door of our 02 Astra back trying to break in, he didn't get in. Main Opel dealer has quoted 1350 for the work to replace the door - they already bent the door more or less back into the frame by hand as a stopgap, there's a lot more noise and breeze there now though :)

Our insurance (with Quinn Direct) is up next Monday, the 24th, and we had received the 1 year NCB cert in the post. Having looked around for quotes for the coming year, we were going to change to Axa for 550 but they now say they will not take over the policy if it has an open claim on it.

We checked with Quinn and they now want 1025 for the next year, it was 698 via online quote before this claim and with the 1 yr NCB.

So we have two options: 1) Get the car repaired with Quinn and use them next year, this will cost 1025 for next year + 190 excess on this claim + 70 replacement car hire as they don't cover that for break ins = 1285

or 2) We can cancel the claim, get the door done in a garage in Leitrim for around 750 (based on what they charged my mother in law for an Astra door last year) and then pay 550 with Axa = 1300, so we would still have the NCB.

I reckon option 2 here but is this a no-brainer or is there something I am overlooking here? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Leon11

Option 2 for me to be honest if the place in Leitrim did a good job on your mother in-laws cardoor.

You'll continue to save money via NCB discount over the next 3-4years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Agree - option 2.
    As said, you'll also save on NCB over the next 4 years as you get to max.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Go for option 2. Aswell as saving your NCB, when you ask for a new quote next year they'll ask have you any claims and then you may get more of a loading.

As a general rule if the claim is ~€1000 it's usually cheaper to pay yourself as the insurance companies will just load it back onto you anyway. Also depending on your policy you'll still have to pay €100 and maybe a lot more due to excess.

Advertisement