Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So , What Do You Want ?

Options
  • 18-09-2007 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Just reading through the "what games are you looking forward to " and even more so the " quakewars demo " thread and I was thinking that some are mixing up personal opinions and personal tastes with facts .

I personally don't particularly like the quake wars demo , it is neither waht I thought it would be nor what I was looking for , but at the same time I can see that it is a very good and well made game that will appeal to a lot of people .

This got me thinking about just what I was looking for in a game , if the developers came to me and said " enough of the bitchin and moaning , what exactly are you looking for so we can have you social welfare cheque " .

So if you are looking to move on from what you were playing , what are you looking for ?

Seen as how I am asking the question I better give my answer .

The game I preferred most ( notice how I didn't say best game ) was a mod called Heat of Battle for Call of Duty . It was WWII based with the weapons used back then . The game was domination based as in you capture and hold the flags marked around the map until you have them all .
    One of the things I liked most about it was the maps , they were open plan unlike say the likes of Day of Defeat which can be very linear with the usual compliment of choke points . With some of the maps there were loads of ways to go about it . Probably the best thing about the game was the smaller community based around it something that no matter how hard you try you will struggle to find these days .

So thats what I am looking for , A domination based WWII FFS with open plan maps semi realistic in the Call of Duty way .( with a limit on bunny hopping :D )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Khalim

A graphics update to UFO: Enemy Unknown.

That is all. And maybe to Jagged Alliance 2 as well.

Won't ever happen but I can always dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Khalim wrote:

Jagged Alliance 3 is in the works. It stalled for a while, but they started work on it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAUWAvqjnYw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEGxb1JYdFc

(not sure how old those videos are, but it looks good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm happy enough leaving all this to the pros tbh, I'd much rather let Valve, Retro, Crytek etc loose on their current projects and look forward to seeing what kind of results they turn up.
    A good 3d castlevania game would be nice though, in an ideal world Konami would just give up on it and hand it over to Retro to develop:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have to agree with Tman about castlevania. I gave up on Curse of Darkness because of how dull it got. They should just give up on the levelling up and RPG elements that just unbalance the game, turn it into something closer to Devil May Cry or Ninja Gaiden and add in an open world with Metroid like abilities gathering.

I'd also like to see GTA take a lot of ideas from similar games that were better than GTA in many areas such as the micro management in Scarface and the decent AI and combat in Gun etc. None of this auto aiming nonsense and dim witted AI enemies. GTA was always held back by it's archaic engine, hopefully the new engine will give it a new lease of life.

I'd love to see a retro studies original IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I'd love to see a retro studies original IP.
    You read my mind
    Now that they've finished the MP trilogy, I guess that could happen...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Khalim wrote:

true that! QFT!

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I want Thief 4.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'd like a proper update to Elite, perhaps one to Tau Ceti as well.
    A proper version of Road Rash would be great, every one of the games in the series outside of the MD ones and the one on the 3DO, also translated to PSone, have sucked, loved that game, really need to play more, loved the sensation of racing down a Pacific coastal highway, beating 7 bells out of everyone else!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This could quickly turn into a what retro-game do you want to see modernised thread :)

So to add in my own ... I'd love to see an update to tie-fighter. I don't think any other game has ever captured me in the same way. The story, and plot twists, that played out seamlessly both in cutscenes and mid-mission, the feeling that you were in the midst of epic space battles that really were affecting the whole galaxy, and of course, the epic space battles themselves. Pure gaming goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 34,960 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Remember the Final Fantasy VII tech demo? Well a remake of Chrono Trigger with that engine. :D

Or just a plain old FF VII remake with that engine. I'm pretty easy.

Someone to complete the original isometric Fallout 3 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Khalim wrote:

/me drools.

Awesome idea, assuming EA or something doesnt pick it up :p

A remake or a game with a new Intellectual property, that follows the game system of Dark Omen. That game owned me.

A new Deus Ex sequel thats good, preferably with a world wide co-operative effort to destroy all known copies of Deus Ex 2.

Elite the MMO (and no, not EVE :p)

Starcraft 2 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Isn't Deus Ex 3 in production??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ok well to get specific then, heres what i'd actually go to a games developer with.

1. A fully sandbox game where nothing in the environment is created without it being cabable of interaction. Completely non linear, meaning there is no real end objective, but a series of objectives that you may or may not complete and will affect the storyline and ending

2. Made in 4D (i.e. the environment is effected by time, if you enter a room and see a bowl of fruit, if you come back a week later, the fruit will have gone rotten), rain forms puddles on the ground, the weather changes, the seasons change, etc. Playing a game that exhibits the same season as when you are playing would be nice also.

3. AI!!! BETTER AI!!! I understand AI is only a "buzzword" as humans actually haven't created real AI yet, but come on, make people use cover, have some realism also (not like splinter cell where i can sit beside a wall in the shade and a person walking by that wall doesn't see me)

4. Constantly downloadable content. I'd be more likely to buy a game if a new part of the story was released every month. Even if it only contained an hour and a half of gameplay it would be worth the investment. Episodic gaming is the way forward imo. Have the main game released then (like HL2) release episodes. This will extend the life of the game engine and make game development more economically viable.

5. More hot chicks :D Action movies always end with the main character getting some tail off the hot female lead? Why can't action games have this :rolleyes: jk But seriously, I think more character relationship building would be nice, maybe have voice recognition built in, and have the characters react to what you say and how you say it. HL2 was good in this regard, but it was irritating that freeman was a mute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

L31mr0d wrote:
    Ok well to get specific then, heres what i'd actually go to a games developer with.

1. A fully sandbox game where nothing in the environment is created without it being cabable of interaction. Completely non linear, meaning there is no real end objective, but a series of objectives that you may or may not complete and will affect the storyline and ending

2. Made in 4D (i.e. the environment is effected by time, if you enter a room and see a bowl of fruit, if you come back a week later, the fruit will have gone rotten), rain forms puddles on the ground, the weather changes, the seasons change, etc. Playing a game that exhibits the same season as when you are playing would be nice also.

3. AI!!! BETTER AI!!! I understand AI is only a "buzzword" as humans actually haven't created real AI yet, but come on, make people use cover, have some realism also (not like splinter cell where i can sit beside a wall in the shade and a person walking by that wall doesn't see me)

4. Constantly downloadable content. I'd be more likely to buy a game if a new part of the story was released every month. Even if it only contained an hour and a half of gameplay it would be worth the investment. Episodic gaming is the way forward imo. Have the main game released then (like HL2) release episodes. This will extend the life of the game engine and make game development more economically viable.

5. More hot chicks :D Action movies always end with the main character getting some tail off the hot female lead? Why can't action games have this :rolleyes: jk But seriously, I think more character relationship building would be nice, maybe have voice recognition built in, and have the characters react to what you say and how you say it. HL2 was good in this regard, but it was irritating that freeman was a mute.

I heard a thing called "real life" ticks all those boxes...

In all seriousness though, I think there's a lot to be said for deep character development in games. Slap that onto a GTA like game and you're flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I want Resident evil 5 this year as opposed to the 31st December 3759, or whatever "future date" they've got it penciled in for :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Jet Set Willy: Source

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I could very easily list a bunch of C64 games I'd love to see dragged kicking and screaming onto the current gen machines, but I won't. Creatures 3

I want Ultima Underworld 3.
    I want a new 2D Mario game with the size and scope of SMW.
    And I want Phantom Hourglass now, not in 12 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

L31mr0d wrote:
    4D

you should work for Sony...

i have many ideas for games, and read many books on game design. the issue designers have generally is not the lack of ideas, or even the buying market (you have to cater to cool)... but the systems themselves. it's all well and good saying on paper you want everything to be a physics object that you can interact with and make it look better then god intended life to be, but then you have system budgets to contend with.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Manpuncher vs. Boxhead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

I'd like to see Bioware do a game set in the modern day rather than a fantasy setting. With the sort of story, character development and dialogue choice Bioware are known for, but with proper realistic moral choices and shades of grey as opposed to the typical dark/light choices of 'give this character a fluffy bunny' vs 'shoot this character in the face'. I want to have to choose between saving a childs life or letting the bad guy get away to kill again in future.

For action sequences, I think it'd play much like GTA (you don't necessarily have to be a criminal, stealing cars if necessary could be another choice you just have to make for the greater good) with car chases, and with on foot sequences focussing on good use of cover and positioning, rather than twitch aiming. I wouldn't mind it having an auto-lock on system, as long as it worked well. There'd be lots of gadgets and negotiations and stealth options and other ways of getting by combat sections - I don't think the game should necessarily revolve around the fighting, it should be there to flesh out the greater story.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, like bioware do Shenmu, with a bit of Yakuza and a dash of Splinter Cell.

I'll buy it, once it has some raving rabbids invading the scene, however serious, with machetes, and you get to fight them off with a toilet plunger gun!

Now we're getting somewhere, a proper FPS in the Rayman/Rabbid world, with plenty of novelty weapons, like the range seen in Worms, that'd be sweet!

Also a proper sim style Mechwarrior game, I loved Mechwarrior 2 and 3 but the recent updates set in the Battletech universe are way too arcadey.
    Seeing as we are wishing, if they could also make it somehow compatible with my Steel Battallion controller that'd be just, super!

Advertisement