Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tinting

Options
  • 18-09-2007 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Just bought a roll of window tint for my new motor. going to try and put it on myself. Have a friend who has done it before but just wondering how hard to get it off it is if anything goes wrong. anyone any experience at doing this themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Never tried it myself but know a few lads that did, it can go horribly wrong at times.
    just take it easy doin it and dont rush it whatever you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Theres a few threads in the motors section on it,ive done my own before.

Once your patient with it you'l be ok,its just getting the nack of it really and then your away in a hack,in saying that i still cant do a rear window with a curv there poxy!

Another thing is the film sold in motor factors ect tends not to be of great quality,it does the trick but ive found it to have like a bluey colour off it even though it would be stated as limo/medium/light black tint

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Right, ill just hijack this thread instead of starting my own. Just bought a few rolls of this for myself, anyone got any tips on how to put it on? I will be taking my time putting it on but anyone care to shed any light on how to put it on perfectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've never done it myself - but I have seen them go horribly wrong too. I've seen so many that have been done DIY while the window was closed leaving a thin line of untinted glass at the top of the window. I would imagine the best possible route with any drop glasses would be to remove the window glasses.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Spray the window and the tint with water, then you can move it around easily and it won't stick to the window immediately, giving you time to smooth out the air bubbles. If you're not sure, just get a professional to do it. These things always cost less letting someone who knows what they're doing do the job, unless you know what you're doing. When it's on, just cut around the edge with a stanley blade, be careful if you're doing the rear window that you don't cut any of the contacts for the heated window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

two things;

if you can, take the window out completely (side windows anyway) and do it on a table, makes it alot easier.

For windows that dont come out (mainly small quarter windows) cut a template of the window size out of cardboard, then cut the paper tint about one inch larger than the template.

and use lots of water, people told me to use soapy water, but i found it easier with just plain water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ta2kev

Do all your cutting and shaping off the outside of the glass. With drop glass, don't tint right to the edge of the glass, as it will start to peel off. Make sure the glass is spotlessly clean, and use soapy water to get position right. I've seen guys come in to me with DIY jobs and we've to peel it all off and start again. My advise is, 1. don't use the tint you get in Motor Factors, it's rubbish quality 2. Save yourself a lot of hardship and get a professional to do it.
    If your car is any way half decent, a bad tint job will take away from it completely.

Advertisement