Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Newspaper launched?

• 18-09-2007 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭

i heard there is another newspaper in cavan now - cavan voice, is this true

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭celt262

I seen it in the shops yesterday but didn't buy it there are way to many weekly papers in cavan now. If we had one good one it would be better .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭mizz.yelof!!!

1 dont know which of the 2 free newspapers it is, so i will name neither, but one of them i have found has had terrible grammer and spelling mistakes on more than one of their weekly issues.

we do not need 4 papers, 1 good one please!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 partridge2k

one paid-for papers has the worst "grammer" and spelling I've ever seen worse than either of the fresheets and I won't name them either but it's not the voice - you decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭HollowMan

I think the voice is quite decent, followed by the echo

the post is a complete rag i have to say and as for the celt, it's just an institution at this stage

The average age of their staff must be 45 to 50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Like first the Echo (Liverpool Echo), then the Post (Birmingham Post), now the Voice (which is the same as the The Voice for British Afro-Caribbeans :D). I think I'll set up a Cavan version of Manchester Evening news... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Have to say I agree it is getting ridiculous now... It would be great to have just two tabloid papers (Post and maybe the Echo), and two broadsheets (Celt and a decent broadsheet). Just to see them competing against each other more so than anything else.

I agree the Celt is a joke, especially when it comes to the sports pages and its great to see the other papers making them a little uncomfortable at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I find the Celt's layout all over the place, frankly. Its pure random.

And who the fook thought up the personal ads with baby pics of "look who's 40 today!" shyte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I have to say that I actually like the Cavan Post! Although saying that, there is an unreal amount of spelling mistakes in it!!
    The Celt is only good for seeing who was in court!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 joecarolan123@g

witch would you say was the best news paper in cavan.i visit cavan a few times each year .think its a great place .but i cant see what all the fuss is about a new paper.theres more to life than reading

my family are from shercock co cavan,could anybody tell me the best place to reserch my family history?thanks.joe carolan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

speaking of local papers, i recently sent in a letter giving out about all the hype over katy junkie french (and hardly any mention of the poor feckers down the country that od'd on the same ****e)... anyway the "cavan p*ssed" went and printed my full name and address at the end of it even though on the same page they say they wont print anything with anyones name on it!!!

the feckers...ggrrr!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

well there is 1 less paper now with the cavan voice gone now - only bought it once myself. the cavan life is now gone i think as well.

haven't seen the cavan echo lately - is it still on the go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭genericgoon

So back to just the celt again nearly. ¬_¬

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

hope not, hope the celt folds (scuse the pun) and one of the tabloids stays up.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

Cant see how all these papers are staying in business - there is not as many papers in Dublin !!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 agoodud

Its a real shame the Voice is gone. It was by far and away the best paper in Cavan in terms of news and sports. never had any press releases unlike the Celt which has them on the front week in week out. It also never stooped to praising all the local TD's and councillors. In fact the last five or six weeks the Celt copied their stories including one word for word. It broke totally new stories and I for one think its a sad loss. Back to the Celt...Christ

is it becouse there sick of life.sick of the wife sick of the woman trying to control there life .sick of kids that think thay can have owt the want.plz tell me cos im sick of my lot :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

is it becouse there sick of life.sick of the wife sick of the woman trying to control there life .sick of kids that think thay can have owt the want.plz tell me cos im sick of my lot :mad:

Errrrmmmm. What?

Anyway, back to the topic: what Cavan needs is a sleazy tabloid. Who's shagging who? My night of passion with Drumalee star. Who decked who in the Imperial on Saturday night....etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Errrrmmmm. What?

Anyway, back to the topic: what Cavan needs is a sleazy tabloid. Who's shagging who? My night of passion with Drumalee star. Who decked who in the Imperial on Saturday night....etc.
    Will never happen, shame to say it... Not to say it doesn't happen in many's a town, it just happens to people nobody ever heard of. :D

I'd like to see more action in the sports pages to, they are too goody-goody, they never write about players for what they do wrong or something;

Brawl after Drumalee game, Shocking Gowna have fingers pointed at Midfield, Exactly how dodgy is that Shercock goalkeeper?! :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnd27

Since I've moved down here I have to say that the qaulity of papers here is very poor.

I bought the Cavan Post once and it is nothing more than pure sensationalism. It dresses up the most minor of cases in the District Court with large sensationalist headlines, and will qoute any amount of rubbish that comes out of the mouth of that headcase Judge Sean McBride, (whats his story? I've heard some serious rumours about that guy, ie; corruption,etc). Between that, taking photos of people in Pubs, asking people on the street remedial questions, and articles about some mother and daugther relationships, I've seen enough.

I generally stick with the Celt. It's straight up, but there's generally not much in it. One thing all the papers have in common is an endless amount of advertising.

In fairness to regional newspapers everywhere, it's hard to fill their columns with news when there really is'nt any news in comparison to a nationwide paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement