Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Exchanging Irish for Uk licence

Options
  • 18-09-2007 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im living in the Uk and will be mving home soon. I've heard it mentioned that its a good idea to change my licence from an Irish one to a UK one. I know it means I wont get any points on the UK licence, but are there any other advantages that will make it worth all the effort?

Also whats the disadvantages besides the cost and hassle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

Theres no point in doing that now because in 2008 you will get points on your UK license if you are caught speeding over here. New System integration. I'm sure alot of people have switched over the years. My friend Amanda done that 5 years ago and she been living here since then.

The only benefit from switching over to a UK license these days would be because they look "cooler" Nice credit card sized license like the Americans have:D

Regards Lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Even if you get the credt card version, u'll need the paper bit to rent cars, etc!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Theres no point in doing that now because in 2008 you will get points on your UK license if you are caught speeding over here. New System integration.

There's no guarantee that it will actually happen as there is still much wrangling over points equivalences. Also if you are stopped by a Garda speed trap then he may decide when shown your licence either not to bother with issuing points or issue points based on your name and current Irish address which may not be the same as your eventual address. Then again he might just make note of your licence number for future use but there's a better chance than with a native licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Also, 10 years down the line when you have to renew the licence because the picture looks nothing like you anymore, you'll have to change it back to an Irish licence or go to the hassle of finding somewhere in the UK to get it sent.

I'm open to correction on the 10 year thing - I think that's what happens but don't know for sure - my licence is valid until 2046 (somehow don't think the paper will last till then though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

R.O.R wrote:
    Also, 10 years down the line when you have to renew the licence because the picture looks nothing like you anymore, you'll have to change it back to an Irish licence or go to the hassle of finding somewhere in the UK to get it sent.

I'm open to correction on the 10 year thing - I think that's what happens but don't know for sure - my licence is valid until 2046 (somehow don't think the paper will last till then though)

Haha their will be a picture of your grave stone in your renewal license when that expires.

I have a ten license like most people, I hope I still look the same in ten years time, better eat my vegetables to keep old man time away...:cool:

• Advertisement

I cant see them carrying over points in the near future they will just talk about it for a few more years. Just as a matter of interest op did you find the irish licence helpful driving in the uk as I have just moved over here. I know they cant issue points to an irish licence so what do they do to people driving on non-uk licences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They create a ghost licence for you and keep your points warm until you get a UK licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

I cant see them carrying over points in the near future they will just talk about it for a few more years. Just as a matter of interest op did you find the irish licence helpful driving in the uk as I have just moved over here. I know they cant issue points to an irish licence so what do they do to people driving on non-uk licences?

Ive been driving on irish plates over here doing lots of mileage for the last load of months and have never been stopped.

May change over the licence. It will probably be years before they sync the points.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

/Mythbusters steps in to clear things up...

Stop worrying -
    Fact 1: anyone with a UK (or any non Irish) license cannot get points.
    Fact 2: Big brother CANNOT save up points and apply them in the future.
    Fact 3:There is a thing called the "constituion" that prohibits laws being applied retrospectively - if the powers that be decide that e.g. driving red cars is illegal - they cannot prosecute anyone who did this before the law was in place..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

stevec wrote:
    Fact 3:There is a thing called the "constituion" that prohibits laws being applied retrospectively
    The law has been in place for some time now. No-one is getting points for offences committed before it came into effect.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

esel wrote:
    The law has been in place for some time now.
    I wasn't aware of that.
    The 2002 and 2004 acts don't seem to have any provision for this - do you have anything to back up what you say?
    Don't take that the wrong way, I'm genuinely interested in finding out. I was of the opinion that this "saving up points to apply to a non-irish license" was just scaremongering that had no legal basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

think ill go ahead and do it, anyone know how i do it though? cant seem to find any information on the net

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

think ill go ahead and do it, anyone know how i do it though? cant seem to find any information on the net
    In the UK the DVLA is always your port of call for such things ...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

Advertisement