Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savoury party food anyone???

• 18-09-2007 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi

Can anyone help me?

Having friends over for some food & drinks and am wondering if anyone has an easy recipes for savoury bites.... something different than chicken wings & spring rolls ...

Sorry im fussy!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

A nice homemade quiche perhaps - it can even be made and cut up in advance and then just heat it up. I was at a function last week and they had small vol au vents, filled with a cream cheese and ham filling, so they were easy to eat as finger food. I'm not sure where you'd get the smaller pastry cases and it would be a lot of work to make them yourself. I can't think of anything else at the moment........but if I think of anything else I'll get back to you.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

A plate of chopped veg and some dip?

A good quick dip is to take a tub of garlic and herb cream cheese, add some extra garlic and chives, mix with some cream (or milk) till smooth and dip like and add lots of black pepper, a bit of salt and a squeeze of lemon all to taste.

Maybe try making your own hummous?

The old reliable smoked salmon on brown bread?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

As tSubh says, can't go wrong with some hummus and some veg, crisps etc.

You could also do a range of selfmade mini-pizza slices. You could prepare them in the morning, leave them in the fridge, and bang them in the oven that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Devils on horseback- Dates wrapped in bacon with a cocktail stick and crisped in the oven = yum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Have you tried the soft rice paper rolls. Served cold with cooked filling and dipping sauces - can be made well in advance.

Other idea is a large anti pasti arrangement. Cold meat platter, olives, artichokes, anchovies, seafood salad, tricolori salad, bread sticks, ciabatta or focaccia, calamari, lamb cutlets, sardines, grilled prawns, grilled vegetable salad (peppers, courgettes, aubergine with garlic and basil), roasted pepper salad (with garlic, basil, anchovy, capers), chicken thighs with lemon & oregano, bruschetta with mushrooms, bruschetta with tomato, garlic & basil, arancini (if you are feeling adventurous), cheeses and lots or good red italian wine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Deviled Eggs. I had these at a party once and they were fantastic. They're basically halfed hard boiled eggs with the yolk scoped out and then mixed with spices and stuff and then piped back on the egg whites. No idea what goes in it except cayenne pepper, mayo, maybe paprika. Can probably google the recipe if you wanna try it.

Actually, i think the ones I had were flavoured with curry powder. Just did a quick google, lots of ways to make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

make your own sushi rolls, so easy,you'll wonder why you haven't been doing it for years!!! And people will be really impressed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

chicken and roast veg screwers?? I was at a party on Saturday and they were served.. Not something I'd seen served at a party before but very tasty and easy to eat I thought.. ie no cutlery needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I find quiche goes down very well. I always make my own but you can buy mini quiches. Cocktail sausages are popular, and maybe even a few sausage rolls. A few salady things would compliment these things well, like coleslaw and potato salad.
    Cheese & crackers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I agree that quiche always goes down well. I use a bun tin to make mini ones, they're great hot or even cold. Some other suggestions would be puff pastry slices topped with roast vegetables and feta cheese or tomato sauce and mozarella (basically anything else you like), stuffed flat mushrooms, garlic mushrooms, bruchetta. You could have brown bread/sliced baguette/crackers/ryvita etc topped with prawns, smoked salmon, cheese, cream cheese, parma ham, cherry tomatoes...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

Sorry, double post

Advertisement