Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windsurfing in Achill

Options
  • 18-09-2007 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭

Was in achill this weekend having a camping / surfing / drinking weekend... was really wet saturday nite. The tent is of good quality but there was no stopping the wet coming from the bottom up. The place is a march.

Anyway I saw there was a competition on in windsurfing. They guys looked amazing out there. There was little wind on that particular day. Windsurfing looks amazing. I was out on the surfboards(first time in Achill) before they went out. I really wish I could give it a try. Anyone else see them out there/competing?

I noticed there was lessons availible up there for windsurfing. I'm definately going to give it a try.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

i was in keel til today. Yeah some of those guys looked pretty decent but nothing like what i seen like on the telly!!
    btw., keel was absolutely amazing yesterday and on sunday night. Once the offshore wind died down there were some unbelievable waves. Was in from 11am yesterday til last night, and it was probably the best day of my life. ever.!!

little OT: must warn anyone who's going there to watch for the rip right in the middle. We got into it yesterday and spent a good while getting out. It's ok for anyone who's been in a rip before, but it's a serious recipe for an accident if anyone who doesn't know about rips.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 squeeba

if you think windsurfing is good take a look at kitesurfing! this is from the irish tour in 2005, we've come a long way since!

http://kitesurf.ie/hangtime/Vids/FilmIKSADublin.wmv

and just a vid of world champ aarron hadlow to see what it really looks like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFza91drfyE

the sport is easier than windsurfing although lessons are a must for obvious reasons, you wouldnt try fly an airplane by yourself....

www.lsdkiteboarding.com

if interested ,we do lessons in the north west of ireland (sligo primarily) every day of the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Sniipe wrote:
    Windsurfing looks amazing.

It sure looks amazing all right. I saw some recently, they were all going twice as fast as the kiteboarders. Still, its great there is something for everyone, plenty of water to go around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Spoony2

windsurfing is fun fun fun, its a hard sport to master when you get to a crtain level such as carbe jibes etc but it is one hell of rewarding sport and so so fast.

Recently its been shadowed bye kite surfing but i still think its a hell of lot better.

plus the whipe outs and sheer speedof it just make it all the better.

this company are based in achill http://www.windwise.ie/

Advertisement