Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestling Mags

• 18-09-2007 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

What do people buy? And how do you rate them? Im not talking about online mags now, but ones from the shelves.

I used buyt he WWE mags a few years ago, but grew out of them as they are done in character. Maybe the Diva ones here and there now though!

Normally these days I buy Fighting Spirit or Powerslam, though I find the latter rubbish. Fighting Spirit seems to be very informed and also takes a good look at the British scene every month. It also delves into MMA quite nicely without devoting too much pages to it at the same time.

Powerslam on the other hand seems to be a cut and paste from the interweb, where you will almost certainly learn nothing new in any issue if you are a regulr on any gossip sites or forums. It is a handy read for a bus/plane journey, but you will almost always leave it behind as there is nothing ever worth reading again. There is also a column by some twat Stately Wayne manor which is about the most smarkish column every put to paper.

One certain thing with the above two though is there is a decent spread in what they cover even going over Japanese news as well. Powerslam almost entirely ignores the UK scene which is a major minus of it.

I see The Wrestling Observer from time to time as well, but I believe that is just WWE and TNA news, which frankly I could not care less about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

gimmick wrote:
    I see The Wrestling Observer from time to time as well, but I believe that is just WWE and TNA news, which frankly I could not care less about.

It has sections on Mexico, Ring of Honor, Japan, independent wrestling and all of the major MMA company's each week. Obviously two thirds of the feature stories are about WWE, TNA and UFC but you regularly see articles on others too.

I've been on other boards where people criticise him for including topics unrelated to TNA, WWE and UFC!

Pro-wrestling Illustrated was just bought out by Oscar de la Hoya's company last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think I meant PWI, not the Observer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

SWM is a twat though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

krudler wrote:
    SWM is a twat though
    In fairness he is a complete randy orton(arsehole)

oops i dont knowhow that happened but i managed to post in the wrong topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

I've bought PS every month for the last 5 years. It points are well argued and thought-out, and has absolute gems of interviews every other issue. On the negative side, I've hated SWM for years, its BritWres coverage has slumped in recent times, while I have always thought the mag should be longer and go into greater depth on certain issues. Overall though, I still enjoy reading it and really is the only wrestling mag worth reading these days IMO, and I've followed 'em all-

WWE Mag (Too Kayfabed...Too much WWE!),

PWI/Inside Wrestling/The Wrestler (Usually out of date by the time it hits our shelves, painfully kayfabed in parts),

POW/Total Wrestling (Weren't bad actually but went of business)

FSM (Interesting in parts but overall can be quite unprofessional with a multitude of Types-Os and uninteresting UFC/MMA articles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I tend not to bother with off the shelf mags, really everything I need or want to know I can find just as easily online. Let me weigh i behind those criticising, Powerslam it really is an awful publication in every way. Those horrible reviews where they try to appear all cool and hypercritical are just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Where can I buy good wrestling mags? There is none in the wrestling shop in town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Where can I buy good wrestling mags? There is none in the wrestling shop in town.

Easons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I've never bought a wrestling magazine, but I've had a look at a few over the years. Fighting Spirit seems to be a pretty good read, the best I've seen anyway

• Advertisement
Advertisement