Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot Water Cylinder query

Options
  • 18-09-2007 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

Does anyone know how thermally efficient pre-insulated hot water cylinders are? I have my HWC in the attic, i.e. above the insulated body of the house, the pipes leading down into the house are lagged but I was wondering if putting an extra lagging jacket on the HWC would improve the thermal efficiency, it get's cold up there!

Any advice appreciated.

Paulb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I don't have any data on that, but the insulation is known to be pretty good.
    Saying that, if your attic is drafty or if the cylinder is outside the insulation envelope (i.e. sitting above the insulation on the ceiling) you are going to have somewhat higher losses than you would if the tank was in a hotpress.

Consideration could be given to creating a draft-proof enclosure around the tank and piping and lagging it, or by additionally lagging the tank and associated piping with a rockwool with a single foil/plastic layer on the exterior. This would reduce the losses from any drafts somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Yep, the pre-insulated tanks are excellent. Fitted one recently and the hot press is no longer the hot any more (if you know what I mean)

Advertisement