Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it true UCD is full of labeled clicks??

• 18-09-2007 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

according to my friends there, they dont recogment UDC clamining theyve made barely any friends because of clicks in the year. everyone seems to stick with theyre own crowd?!?!?!
    especially for an arts degree????
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Where do you hear this? Join a society maybe...yes degrees like arts can be slightly alienating as opposed to your engineerings, medicines, etc. but thats because you are in very big classes for so few hours. Take up a sport, join Dramsoc or just start chatting to people next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Roxy*

i heard that its bacically full of 'ledgends' who are just anoying and intimadating jocks..
    i deal with them now, in school, but next year i really want to be in a more mature enviroment, im not saying i cant interact, its just some are so attention seeking and can cause people to be more group like..:(
    i was thinking maby U.L or UCG.? does anyone have an opinion on where is the better place for an arts degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea there'd be a lot of people from big Dublin schools going into UCD along with all their friends so naturally there are a lot of cliques
    Roxy* wrote:
    does anyone have an opinion on where is the better place for an arts degree?
    Best place for an Arts degree is probably trinity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Roxy* wrote:
    i heard that its bacically full of 'ledgends' who are just anoying and intimadating jocks..
    i deal with them now, in school, but next year i really want to be in a more mature enviroment, im not saying i cant interact, its just some are so attention seeking and can cause people to be more group like..:(
    i was thinking maby U.L or UCG.? does anyone have an opinion on where is the better place for an arts degree?

Yeah, there are a lot of jocks in there, who think they're great, but their not all like that. I've just started, and sure with the amount of people of doing Arts there, its hard not to find someone who shares at least some of the same interests as yourself(although finding that person may be the tough bit). Personally I only knew a few people going in there, not through school though, but its easy to make friends. Everyone is in the same boat as yourself, so its easy enough to make friends. If you can start a conversation, your sorted. Starting college is exciting and all that, but can be difficult enough with the size of it, but dont let that discourage you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 LAUNWU

Roxy* wrote:

UCD is packed full of that depressive ****e. No matter what anyone says on this forum, as vast majority of people at UCD have no personality, only a six pack and the ability to catch a ball. Its ****.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

LAUNWU wrote:
    UCD is packed full of that depressive ****e. No matter what anyone says on this forum, as vast majority of people at UCD have no personality, only a six pack and the ability to catch a ball. Its ****.

I promise that the first time you go to a UCD board beers that theory will be completly turned on its head :) Theres no doubt that there are cliques in UCD but there are many many really lovely genuine people out there as well it might just take a while to find them :)

panda100 wrote:
    I promise that the first time you go to a UCD board beers that theory will be completly turned on its head :) Theres no doubt that there are cliques in UCD but there are many many really lovely genuine people out there as well it might just take a while to find them :)

+1. Theres 22,000 for gods sake, your bound to get talking to people who you'll like, doesnt have to be one of these boards beers(that I'm only now aware of!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rafadagaffer

LAUNWU wrote:

I resent that statement. Ive found the vast majority of people to be accomodating, friendly and helpful. Im doing First Year Arts too, which is probably the worst culprit for jocks and their kin.

Look at it realistically, there are roughly 1,500 people doing that course alone, there is bound to be some muppets.

Maybe you are obsessing about these "ledgends" so much you dont notice the nice person sitting beside you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

*yawn*

same thread every year.

When I started in ucd I knew one other person and I absolutly hated the place because all I could see were seas of skanky looking blonds and rugger bugger blokes with stupid haircuts. However it took only the smallest amount of effort (namely joining a random selection of societies and showing up to their first event until I found one I clicked with and also talking to people i was sitting next to in lectures) for me to find totally awsome people who made my undergrad years the best years of my life (many of whom I now miss desperatly now that we've finished our BAs they've done mad things like get proper jobs or leave the country).

to put it briefly, there are bazzillions of people in ucd, especially in arts. Lots of them will, in your opinion, not be worth the time of day, however if you make the effort you will meet people in ucd who you'll want to stay friends with for the rest of your life.

Also asking what the best place to do an arts degree is is a totally ridiculous question since it depends entirely on what subjects you want to take your arts degree in and what angle you wish to approach those subjects from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭Dermot2468

panda100 wrote:

UCD boards beers? when? sounds like fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

you people should start learning the fine art of attention seeking. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Rafadagaffer

The canoeing club came in to promote themselves yesterday. One of them canoed down the steps of theatre L :eek: .

I should go into lectures every day like that!

The canoeing club came in to promote themselves yesterday. One of them canoed down the steps of theatre L :eek: .

I should go into lectures every day like that!

That was hilarious. And for those not there, yes, he did smash into the lectureres podium:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I forgot to mention that there's nothing wrong with cliques. My group of friends who all hung out at the wall and smoked together for 3+ years (and still do) are according to most people a clique, doesn't mean we're not naice to people and it doesn't mean that we don't accept new people (even people who don't smoke) into our little chain smoking gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I think I fine tuned the Art of Attention Seeking in February 2005. I defy anybody to one up me !!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

I forgot to mention that there's nothing wrong with cliques. My group of friends who all hung out at the wall and smoked together for 3+ years (and still do) are according to most people a clique, doesn't mean we're not naice to people and it doesn't mean that we don't accept new people (even people who don't smoke) into our little chain smoking gang.

You smokers were lovely. Some great memories there, And it gave me a chance to endulge my favourite. Ornathology !!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

I have been lucky in that I have made some great friends in UCD, I am a mature student but the people I know are all ages, I think if you are open, warm and friendly people respond to that, even the 'I am so full of myself' types, there are all sorts of types in UCD but I think you have to go out there and grab it. If you wait for someone to befriend you, it may not occur. Also the societies are a great way of making friends, also if you get involved with a society you will make even more friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

Ah alas, the lovely wall. I quit smoking so don't hang around it anymore, but I can vouch everyone I met there was fun, cool and great to talk with with. I miss the wall, but alas the lungs can't hack it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

mate youre gonna get those D4 jocks most places you go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Roxy*

im from d4 myself, i just hate they way theyre so obsessed with themselves, and have no personality..
    and ye i guess your right, im probably just parranoide..
    thanks guys :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

is it true UCD is full of labeled clicks??

is it true UCD students cannot spell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Roxy* wrote:

As an arts student, I think your mates are exaggerating just a little. There are 'jocks' in arts, as there are in pretty much every course (oh yes, I heard there even in Nursing!!), but in Arts you'll find all kinds of people. I wouldn't say any of these 'clicks' would make up a majority, so don't worry I'm sure you'll have no problem fitting in.
    Roxy* wrote:
    ...but next year i really want to be in a more mature enviroment...

I wouldn't class all jocks as immature?! I'd almost class that is an immature comment.... but to the point, as long as you talk to people and try to get involved you'll have no trouble.
    Roxy* wrote:
    im from d4 myself, i just hate they way theyre so obsessed with themselves, and have no personality..
    and ye i guess your right, im probably just parranoide..

That is pretty harsh!! How can you say they have no personality just because they're labelled a 'jock'? I think you may need to get out more before you begin to class yourself as mature.

Oh, and just as a by the way, if the OP is doing her leaving cert. this year, you really should plan on brushing up on your basic spelling ability; at its current level, it could deter you from getting into Arts. Then the jocks would really laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

First off, just to make an academic point, there isn't such a thing as a best arts degree. No university in Ireland could have the faculty to be the best at teaching everything. That aside...

I say this to everyone who even mentions the idea of cliques or isolation in UCD: Societies!

The clubs & socs are the solution to this problem. You will find people who share your interests, enjoy the same things you do, and get to know a wider circle of people outside your course.

Plus, turning to random individuals in your lectures and introducing yourself, chiming in on conversations etc. can't hurt. I got chatting to a 3rd Med student today that way myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Maybe I have tunnel vision or something but it wasn't until about two years into my course when i started noticing people giving out about D4 heads that I actually registered those tendencies among the student populace myself. And then I did start to notice that there were a few rugby-shirted/overly fake-tanned types around, but even then it didn't impact on my experience of UCD in the slightest. It's perfectly possible for someone to look like Ross O'Carroll Kelly and be an utterly lovely and intelligent person, just as it's perfectly possible for someone to be an.. um, I don't know, a something else type and be a raging asshole.

In short I think the point I'm trying to make is (a) don't judge a book by its cover and (b) assuming a place is full of people you won't get on with tends to be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Good old lung cancer department. I hardly even need to use my phone anymore, just pop by there and I'm bound to see a few people I know straight off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Right, I didn't read all of the responses so far but from my own point of view and what I've witnessed with my own friends who are in Arts is that they don't meet new people because their course if full of people just like them who expect to make loads and loads of new friends without making any effort. This isn't shcool anymore. You aren't holed up with the same people ro 6 ror 7 hours every day, you're not playing sports with your entire class on a weekly basis. It is for this reason that you have to make a conscious decision to talk to new people.

EDIT: I forgot the most important thing: you'll need these people to get notes from at exam time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think you'll find UCD a lot more enjoyable if you don't just lump people into certain 'cliques' because of the way they dress, act or who you see them hanging around with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

If you're closed minded UCD can be the way you currently think it is.

If you actually take the time to scratch below the surface you'll find a place that is completely different to that.

I came here knowing no one. I joined societies and got to know people that I otherwise would never have gotten to know. I joined boards and now have some great friends that otherwise I'd have never met.

I got involved in the SU last year (love them or hate them they're their and they're big) and to be honest I've loved my time involved. I've got to know so many people that way and got involved in some of the most random things anywhere.

I've had concussion, serious hangovers, general craziness and some of the best times of college career simply because I failed to buy into the clique type idea that some people have coming here.

I'm in a small class and after 3 years together I can safely say they're like a second family, they can tell you anything that anyone did the night before in Coppers and never fail to help someone in need.

So basically if you choose to think of UCD as a small minded clique type place where no one wants to get to know anyone else and stays with the same friends that they've had since secondary school fine. But if you actually want to get to know the real UCD then give it a go and open your eyes a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

I must say I disagree with all the negative press RE: UCD. I guess it's a subjective thing. I'm only coming into my 3rd week now, and have met loads of great new friends from all walks of life. And I honestly haven't come across anyone I genuinely didn't get on with. The only hard part is remembering peoples names :D

And as people have said.. get involved! Don't be close-minded.. Join in peoples conversations, join socieities etc.. Personally I'm running for Class Rep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭lizzyvera

I don't know how your friends didn't make any friends. If you are in any way normal and friendly it's easy to make friends in UCD, especially in 1st year.
    I don't think science is cliquey at all, I know there are groups of friends but generally I know everyone who hangs about the building by now.

I'd be so bored if I only knew school people now, I have a MUCH wider and more varied social circle now.

Advertisement