Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it true UCD is full of labeled clicks??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

What has really struck me about he place so far is the amount of people
    wearing Abercrombie t-shirts and hoodies.

Is there something here I'm missing or do people just like paying over the top prices for the sake of it? Some one explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

pljudge321 wrote:
    What has really struck me about he place so far is the amount of people
    wearing Abercrombie t-shirts and hoodies.

Is there something here I'm missing or do people just like paying over the top prices for the sake of it? Some one explain.
    Someone always has to bring this up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Get yourselves some ketchup for those chips you have.

Get over it tbh, if you don't like the attitude/accents/whatever that some members of the university possess, ignore it. Get on with your own college experience. Worrying about other people doesn't exactly aid that process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

what is the definition of a jock these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

what is the definition of a jock these days?
    Generally a person wearing Canterbury tracksuit bottoms, it would seem.
    It also seems to be interchangeable with 'D4', although I think that also encompasses anybody with blond highlights, who looks like they might have a vague interest in surfing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

I'm also seeing a lot of "G Star Raw" stuff... the same stuff that 50+ y.o. Geddy Lee was wearing at a Rush concert I went to 3 years ago. Well, fashion does go in cycles... I'm so far behind that I'm now ahead. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

In order to facilitate a more efficient postage system, areas have been broken down in to numbers. As a result, people who recieve post in a certain area of Dublin are looked down upon by people who recieve post in other areas of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm into my third week now and I still haven't made too many friends as such, but its early days yet and once you join societies that you actually have an interest in you're very likely to meet some people youll get on with. The arts lectures are usually massive, so its very daunting to try and talk to the person next to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

I resent that statement. Ive found the vast majority of people to be accomodating, friendly and helpful. Im doing First Year Arts too, which is probably the worst culprit for jocks and their kin.

Look at it realistically, there are roughly 1,500 people doing that course alone, there is bound to be some muppets.

Maybe you are obsessing about these "ledgends" so much you dont notice the nice person sitting beside you :rolleyes:

Thats true. Arts is a huge course & theres a good few eejits there, but you have that in most courses anyway. Most people, me included, find the huge numbers of people in classes intimidating

Are Mature Students a labeled clique? That's right, kiddies: you got Old Farts on campus, and they're getting organised (MatSoc) ... bwahaha... :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ali.c

I did my undergrad in DIT and am finishing up my postgrad in UCD atm. IMHO its not the college that you attend its what you make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

stereoroid wrote:
    Are Mature Students a labeled clique? That's right, kiddies: you got Old Farts on campus, and they're getting organised (MatSoc) ... bwahaha... :o

Ah the Mature Students are totally cliquey. Always sitting together. Thinging they're better than the rest of us just because they're been out in "the real world".

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Ah the Mature Students are totally cliquey. Always sitting together. Thinging they're better than the rest of us just because they're been out in "the real world".

:p
    and when they try and make jokes in the lectures.....[shudder]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Sean_K wrote:
    and when they try and make jokes in the lectures.....[shudder]

At least they answer teachers' questions, though, rather than making us all sit in that awkward 5 minutes of silence that is a product of a stubborn professor trying to make a lecture "participatory".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 daboyfergie

UCD is home to 22,000 people; it therefore accomodates every kind of person. Just because these groups are high profile does not mean that they're all that UCD is about. UCD is a a hive of energy. It is filled with young, intelligent, energetic and attractive people. This can be intimidating for some people but it is such an exciting environment. Anyone unhappy here should take a good look at the outside world of work, traffic jams, nine to five days and boring office chit chat. Maintain a positive attitude towards the students and the place. I have made unbelievable friends, had amazing nights, met really interesting people, laughed alot, matured, experimented, done some pretty crazy stuff, broke the law on occasions, got lucky and generally had a ball since I came here, and I'm from the back **se of nowhere- where old bachelors cycle to the bog and listen to the wireless, and attending the - "oh so cliquey" Quinn school. Thats not to say there haven't been bad times do.I was intimidated too by the D4 types. They are all quite arrogant, but if you overlook this fact then you'll find that they are only human like everyone else and not all bad. D4 girls are extremely hot aswell. A good way of overcoming this arrogance is to remind yourself that Dublin is a relatively tiny city , and that defining your whole existence in this massive world on the postal code of a relatively minnow city is really quite sad. This fact really hit home after doing a bit of travelling. There is something for everyone here and if your not happy just force yourself-if shy, to step out of your comfort zone, talk to people, and enjoy yourself when you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭McGinty

That is such a crap, simplistic statement. Have you attempted to talk with any mature students? I have friends in UCD of all ages, I also happen to be mature as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

generally had a ball since I came here, and I'm from the back **se of nowhere- where old bachelors cycle to the bog and listen to the wireless, and attending the - "oh so cliquey" Quinn school.

I don't see why the mode of transport of bachelors in your native place should make you less likely to enjoy UCD?

As for cliques, I always found that a short skirt in the early lectures before the weather gets cold is a great ice-breaker.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

The cliques are just a bunch of friends from 7 or 8 schools from Dublin of which I went to 1. Although it's fair to say I move in a gang and tend to see the same people everyday I've been friends with them for 7 ( and in some cases 12) years. It's alot easier just chilling with your good friends then venturing to make new ones. In that sense being in a clique is a big downside, as in a way it's harder to meet new people because you already come in with a big group of friends and there's less of an incentive to put yourself out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ThousandLeaves

Yeah, there are groups from a few schools that more or less come out in the same groups as they go in, but they arn't exactly exclusive cliques, you can talk to them if you want.

The D4 thing is only going to be a problem if you insist on judging based on appearance or let the mannerisms and (often quite wierd) attitude get to you. Some of the nicest people I've met have been quintisential D4 tools, you just have to accept them as such and move past it.

In arts you have to work. Join a couple of societies, go to some stuff and talk to people. Talk to people in tutorials, lectures, everywhere, just talk (uncomfortable, but it gets easier). If you throw yourself into it in 1st year chances are you'll get along fine, most people are in the same boat at that stage. I (for various reasons) diddn't, which led to a couple of difficult years before I started to get the hang of it. It can feel like an unfreindly place if you start to look at it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

I was at a party recently where this girl I had only just met after hearing where I live started ranting at me like a harpy that she hates D4 people. I just calmly listened to her and said nothing. I didn't bother to tell her that that is not strictly my postcode, that we do not own the house that we live in, nor did I bother to show her my bank account details. Anyway she just moved here from Sligo so what would she know about "class wars" in Dublin. I suspect she knows as much about it as your friend.

If girls want to wear ugg boots and fake tan and boys rugby shirts who gives a **** they aren't card carrying flag wavers it's not a serious statement it's the way young people in general (YES even outside D4 (shock horror!) dress. Build a bridge and get over it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

I love the fact that non-dubliners don't relise that all quintissential D4ers live in D6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Is that a fact Bubs? Quite a few of them don't have a postcode, as such, and actually live in Co. Dublin. Yes, it's accurate to say that many live in D6, but I'm sure if you turned D14 or D18 upside down and shook them a bit, you'd find a few lurking there too. That's just the tip of the iceberg. If you're going to be pedantic, at least do it properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

McGinty wrote:
    That is such a crap, simplistic statement. Have you attempted to talk with any mature students? I have friends in UCD of all ages, I also happen to be mature as well.
    Turn your sarcasm filter off, and notice the :p - it widely means "Just Kidding!"

McGinty wrote:
    No, it's true - today, in a lab, I found myself lecturing the others about the limits of linearity of a spring, how it couldn't be relied on near zero, because I have some experience with that. Help, I'm getting old!

Oh, and I live in D4. Set your Phasers to Shun! :o

McGinty wrote:

Seriously dude...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

McGinty wrote:
    Always nice to see someone on boards who has yet to be introduced to Mr. Irony...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

im having problems settling in because of this too, if ya find an easy way of making new friends in ucd let me know ;) ive joined lots of societies but im always mad tired after being in from 9-6 with a short break

im having problems settling in because of this too, if ya find an easy way of making new friends in ucd let me know ;) ive joined lots of societies but im always mad tired after being in from 9-6 with a short break

You have to push through that tiredness. Becoming addicted to coffee is just another part of being a student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Mushy wrote:
    That was hilarious. And for those not there, yes, he did smash into the lectureres podium:D
    was that during a history lecture? it looked really sore. ha.

• Advertisement

If you don't make friends easily or quickly, why is that a problem? This is real life, not Bebo or Facebook; no-one's keeping score on how many "friends" you collect. :cool:

Advertisement