Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Windshield replacement

Options
  • 18-09-2007 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully it should be a simple enough answer - I'm getting my windshield replaced through my insurance policy as there's a little stone chip pretty much in front of the driver's eyes and want the car as pristine as possible as it's on sale.

My insurance company use either Autoglass or Allied Irish Windshields.

Is there anything in particular I have to look out for or ask when getting this done? Can anyone recommend either company?

thanks,

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Both are good. They may be able to repair the chip depending on it's size. They should also bill the insurance company directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Make sure the new windscreen is exactly the same as the old one. Check tint colour by looking through the screen at a white A4 sheet. Check whether you have either the climate comfort screen or top tint. If so, make sure the new screen does too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

crosstownk wrote:
    Both are good. They may be able to repair the chip depending on it's size. They should also bill the insurance company directly.

Thanks for that - I confirmed that they both bill Allianz direct, so that's sorted. It's not that big a chip actually, so may be repairable.

Edit: thanks Anan1, wouldn't have thought of checking the tint.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

They generally won't do a repair if it's directly within your field of view. Also, if it's been there for a while unprotected, all sorts of grime and crap get into it making it unrepairable anyway.

Alun wrote:
    They generally won't do a repair if it's directly within your field of view. Also, if it's been there for a while unprotected, all sorts of grime and crap get into it making it unrepairable anyway.

It's not there too long, but a replacement is just as good for me anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I got a windscreen replaced with Allied Irish Windshields. No complaints, they came out to where I work and changed it in about 20 minutes. Good job.

Tony Danza wrote:
    I got a windscreen replaced with Allied Irish Windshields. No complaints, they came out to where I work and changed it in about 20 minutes. Good job.

Went with them as well, and exactly the same story - would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

Allied Irish's outfit in Crumlin replaced the screen in my S80 a couple of weeks ago. They replaced it with a Pilkington screen that was a perfect match, right down to the tinted top edge and blacked out parts. It even had the Volvo SIPS markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AutoGlass didn't log my call when I raised it. Resulted in me being without a car a further day. Not very good to deal with - UK based company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Autoglass are a good company. I used to use them all the time in the car rental game - very good bunch of guys!

please be advised that your insurance co will not pay the VAT on a windscreen supply and fit...........so you will get a bill from them or a bill from the windscreen installer for the VAT. So, its not free.

There's no such thing as a free lunch!

• Advertisement

Autoglass are a good company. I used to use them all the time in the car rental game - very good bunch of guys!

please be advised that your insurance co will not pay the VAT on a windscreen supply and fit...........so you will get a bill from them or a bill from the windscreen installer for the VAT. So, its not free.

I didn't pay any sort of excess, and have not received a bill yet.

eoin_s wrote: »

Watch out for the postman!:D

They didn't log my call or order the glass - so how can they be a "good bunch of guys".
    When I initially raised the call - via Axa, the English guy who answered from Autoglass said reluctantly that he would "have to walk to the other side of the building to raise the Irish call". Not very nice to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

eoin_s wrote: »

In my experience, the insurance company always paid the whole bill so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

sesswhat wrote: »
    In my experience, the insurance company always paid the whole bill so I wouldn't worry about it. :)

Ditto; I've had windscreens replaced under insurance more than once & never paid a penny for it.

bubby wrote: »
    They didn't log my call or order the glass - so how can they be a "good bunch of guys".
    When I initially raised the call - via Axa, the English guy who answered from Autoglass said reluctantly that he would "have to walk to the other side of the building to raise the Irish call". Not very nice to deal with.

I'm sorry to see you have had a poor experience with this company but all i'm saying is that i used them hundreds of times...........all to good success. But then again,I was a valued trade customer. Thats all.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Ditto; I've had windscreens replaced under insurance more than once & never paid a penny for it.

The irony of this post......never paid a penny???
    Of course you did, in your premium when you have glass cover! As i say - having worked in the trade for years- i'm acutely aware of the in's and out's of it -

Nothing is free anymore..............Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

If he hasn't had a bill off them since September I'd say he's in the clear.

Niceirishfella, have you personal experience of being partly billed for glass replacement or is it a chinese whisper you came accross? One mate worked in Autoglass for many years and several work(ed) in insurance companies and this is the first time I've ever heard of somebody with glass cover being charged a cent.

milltown wrote: »
    If he hasn't had a bill off them since September I'd say he's in the clear.

Niceirishfella, have you personal experience of being partly billed for glass replacement or is it a chinese whisper you came accross? One mate worked in Autoglass for many years and several work(ed) in insurance companies and this is the first time I've ever heard of somebody with glass cover being charged a cent.

Yep.......look, I just speakitdatruth here. I have been charge twice by a windscreen replacement company for the vat.........after a glass install.I'd dont mind because my insurer gives me such a sweet deal every year, the lst vat charge was a mere €21. The truth is we all pay it in "stealth" in our premiums weather we know it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What's the story with getting your windscreen replaced when its got stuff like rain sensors and the like in/mounted on it? I haven't broken mine (yet!) but I'm curious as to whether this makes the job more complicated.

• Advertisement

They also damaged the car removing the old windscreen - scratched from the lip of the window right to the lights! Some slip of the thump with the tool they used.

Probably thought they'd get away with it. Its not on .....
    Shoddy workmanship ..

You tend to notice these things more nicefella when your paying for the car out of your hard earned cash. :rolleyes:

@Stephen, don't think its an issue, if your model car is not an import it shouldn't take them that long to source the parts. I queried that too.
    I'm sorry to see you have had a poor experience with this company but all i'm saying is that i used them hundreds of times...........all to good success. But then again,I was a valued trade customer. Thats all.

Advertisement