Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight Laptop Problem

• 18-09-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, recently I got a laptop, and all is well, has wireless internet connection. But heres where the problem lies. The only site(s) I can go on are UCD and UCD related ones. Is there any way that I can change something so as to be able to check other sites? One of the (kinda) purposes for the internet was so I wouldnt have to wait for a computer(SUAS) ones. I've seen other people floating about bebo and such during lectures, thats the worst bit about it.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It's all ok, you just need to set your proxies.

If you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Options, Connections, LAN Settings and click the 'Automatically Detect Settings' box. Then you're good to go.

For firefox go to Preferences, Advanced, Connection and select Automatically Detect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I think the web proxy is proxy.ucd.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,461 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok, cheers lads, I'll remember that for tomorrow when I have wireless connection available. Although I think someone put the ucd proxy on, I'm not sure, gave my laptop to her, she went to her room, and then came back:O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭bryanw

Or you could just go to the IT centre in Daedalus building and get them to do it for you...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭stereoroid

Sean_K wrote:
    I think the web proxy is proxy.ucd.ie

If you do a manual setup, you also need to enter the Port number for proxy.ucd.ie: 8484

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

You are best using the automatic detection, if not try proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac as the auto configuration script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Mushy wrote:
    I'm not sure, gave my laptop to her, she went to her room, and then came back :O

She gave your laptop AIDS. This is clearly your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Red Alert wrote:
    It's all ok, you just need to set your proxies.

If you're using Internet Explorer, go to Tools, Options, Connections, LAN Settings and click the 'Automatically Detect Settings' box. Then you're good to go.

For firefox go to Preferences, Advanced, Connection and select Automatically Detect.

I'm on a mac and firefox won't work so I have to use safari.. this is after following all te directions on the sheet correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Brady

I'm on a mac and firefox won't work so I have to use safari.. this is after following all te directions on the sheet correctly

yea... settings are:

http://proxy.ucd.ie/proxy.pac

(that will enable you to go to any website)

With the MAC you need to go to system preferences then network, then select Airport then select using pac file instead of manual proxy.. then put in the same address as above.

You will then have to manually set firefox, by going to tools > options > advanced > network > settings .... then put in the address above.. as well as automaticially detect settings

:)

Advertisement