Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's all about the Game...

• 18-09-2007 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

This post contains spoilers from last night's Raw so if you haven't seen it yet you might want to give this thread a miss. Anyway there was an incident involving HHH on last night's Raw...
    Triple H was placed into a handicap match with the World Tag Team champions Cade and Murdoch where he managed to get a victory. Following that he was attacked by both guys as well as Carlito before London and Kendrick came down to make the save. Now then, following that help he turned on London and Kendrick giving both the pedigree.

Right so, was I the only one who thought this was ridiculously retarded beyond belief? Not only did the superhuman Triple H manage to beat up supposedly the best tag team in WWE, he also beats up the biggest babyface tag team in WWE.

WHAT WAS THE F*CKING POINT?

There was a brilliant opportunity to elevate London and Kendrick in the eyes of the fans. They could have set up a 6 man tag match next week with Carlito, Cade and Murdoch against HHH, London and Kendrick. Instead he buried the babyface tag team to give himself a nice ego stroke. Utter bullsh*t.

It seemed to me like he was trying to be Stone Cold Steve Austin. He even done the shrug the shoulders bit that Austin does.

He buried guys left, right and centre last year with that DX crap and now he's up to his old tricks. He doesn't sell for his opponents and he always finds a way of overcoming impossible odds. Shouldn't he do what most of the other veterans do in the company and try and actually promote the young talent in the company?

I suppose he'll crush everyone in his path before picking up yet another WWE title. Such a selfish wrestler.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

To give Cena his biggest challenge yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

What was the point in having a current face beat up two faces who saved him from heels?

Heel turn for his inevitable match with Cena obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

No idea. Especially when they're short of guys. Same old thing, different year. I could honestly live without seeing Triple H on any wrestling show for the rest of my life. He peaked 7 years ago for me.

Doing something like that benefits nobody. It doesn't make Triple H a bigger star and it cripples the 2 tag teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I don't want to sound like I'm trying to act 'smarkish' as I believe we are all truly smart marks, but this is typical HHH bull****. I hate when I see people who boo Cena, wearing HHH merchandise, and saying 'oh Cena is only champion because he sucks dick...these are the true marks. HHH is very good on the mic and is a solid worked but his self indulged obsessed bull**** pisses me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

I was thinking of doing the same kind of thread. It was stupid. It would have been a nice way of helping out Kendrick and London because surely they will have another title shot soon but Triple H had to do his Stone Cold routine. I'm not sure he will turn heel though, cos he's already beat a semi defenceless man with a sledgehammer when he had his back turned so it's gonna take one amazing display of heel-ness on his part. Or he could just turn on Cena. It looks like he's gonna feud with McMahon though, so I won't expect him vs Cena too soon.

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, does Hunter have creative control or is it a case of no need for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Brow

Didnt see it but didnt like the sounds of it when I read it. I hate when tag teams job out in handicap matches. In fact you can nearly guarantee an 'upset' now when you see a tag team in a handicap match against someone. I was similarly annoyed when Cena and Candice managed to beat Cade/Murdoch/Umaga but this is worse again.

Brow wrote:
    . I hate when tag teams job out in handicap matches. .

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Im in total agreement with the initial poster here, surely a six man the following week would've been a nice little rub for London/Kendrick.

However I AM curious as to exactly how much say HHH has in his week to week actions on raw. I mean did he really simply take it upon himself to bury them? i was always of the opinion that no mater who you're married to, Vince still has the ultimate say in EVERYTHING. And in fairness to HHH he has put people over fairly well in the last two years, in particular cleanly jobbing the main events of the past two Manias.

So while the burying of Londrick was reprehensible and totally unnecesary, i would be hesitant to slate HHH whne none of us know exactly who made the call.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

i still could see a 6 man tag match,wit Londrick thinking can we trust this guy blah blah n den HHH will tell them he is sorry(in his comedic way) and they will be like ok fair enough. then at the end of the match Londrick will TRY!!!!!! get dare revenge but super H will battle back and hit everyone with a sledge hammer.

I might sound like a hypocrite but i still think HHH's promos are pretty funny

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and yet how many here couldnt wait to for Triple H to come back into the ring?

I had a huge rant about him done up this morning, but I deleted, purely because I would be repeating what I have thought and said since before HHH went away for surgery number 6784209.

The days of HHH putting people over are looooong gone - I mean look how he beat up Umaga, Cena sure as hell didnt do that in his matches. Look how he has taken out multiple people with ease, look how his match at Unforgiven went (by all logical sense he should have had the **** kicked out of him).

I personally switch the channel when he is on, I just feel he contributed a lot more before he was "da game" or the king of diamonds or whatever he calls himself now (I personally still giggle remembering him at Wrestlemania on a throne in a loincloth)

HHH has to realise he is no longer the future of wrestling, that was back in 1998. Yes he should be still floating near the title chase, but jesus make him work for it, or become a threat that others have to overcome - make the new challengers mean something, rather then fodder for Cena.

I just have a very bad feeling that we might actually see McMahon vs HHH sooner, rather then later :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i have never got the whole obsession with Triple H, particularly by Smarks in general. We can talk about his relationship with the McMahons till Christmas; but where would he be if he hadn't aligned himself with Nash, Hall and especially Michaels back in the day.

Trips has already won more than enough world titles at this stage of his career, he has never been the best wrestler or the best talker and every time he turns heel he bores me to death with his lengthy promos; to quote Dwayne Johnson, "talking for 30 minutes and saying absolutely nothingggg" :D

i will admit though to enjoying his work in DX and the DX re-run last year, the Raw in Manchester last november was easily one of the best live WWE tv shows I have been to and Triple H was on fire that night.

flahavaj wrote:
    And in fairness to HHH he has put people over fairly well in the last two years,

He won't be on my list of top guys who made new stars.

I remember him doing interviews where he would bash the Ultimate Warrior for beating him in 2 minutes at Wrestlemania saying how unprofessional it was. You can basically accuse him of doing the same in many instances of doing things that benefited nobody.

In fairness to trips I could see his reluctance to putting people over. He tried to really push Shelton and he's back in the tag team division. And in fairness to him he did really put over Flair, Orton and Batista (who I like when he's a heal) in Evolution. The problem with Hunter is that he's one of those guys everyone loves to hate, so as a face it's not the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I'm blind to it coz I think he's fúcking class!

But I didn't want this to happen either. Not now.
    I guess Paul McMahon will be going for number 11 this year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

He won't be on my list of top guys who made new stars.

I remember him doing interviews where he would bash the Ultimate Warrior for beating him in 2 minutes at Wrestlemania saying how unprofessional it was. You can basically accuse him of doing the same in many instances of doing things that benefited nobody.

No disrespect intended here, but ignorance is bliss I guess.

HHH has been putting people over left right and centre since 1997!

Lets take a list of people he put over shall we?

Rock: At the beginning of 97, Rock was nothing, he couldn't work a lick in the ring and he was a promo murdered. He put Rock over clean for the IC title in a move that the fans absolutely hated. He would spend the best part of 2 years carrying him to great matches.

Shelton Benjamin: As a tag with Haas, i think he's unreal, as a singles guy, he's totally worthless (and so is Haas for that matter), And HHH tried so bloody hard to get him over as a face, and succeeded too... for about 20 seconds.

Benoit: He put Benoit over massively a few mere months after joining the company. The decision was reversed, but that's not the point. That was a big deal for Benoit at that time, and fans saw him in a completely different light. In the six month period from being misused in WCW to hanging at the top in WWE. Benoit, as accomplished as he was at the time, was still a new star in WWE and whereas a lot of people had seen his stuff beforehand, a lot of people hadn't too.

Orton and Batista: HHH had NOTHING to do with either of these guys getting over. No sir!

Kurt Angle: Who really gave a crap about this guy until that triple Threat in 2000? Bearing in mind he was only with the company a year at that point (before Survivor Series 99 he was working dark matches and house shows with Stasiak)

I could keep going.
    VR!

Orton- He sure did get a rub from hanging around Triple H. In saying that he got his legs cut under him by Triple H when he lost the world title less than a month after he got it.

Batista- He made him. Thanks Triple H.

Benoit- Not a whole lot. Now, he did tap for him at WM20 but what followed was Benoits title run being overshadowed with Triple H's feud with HBK.

Kurt Angle- He's talked tirelessly how Triple H tried to basically bury him in 2000 as that angle got going. He talks about in meetings how Triple H kept arguing he was too small. In the end, the angle never really climaxed. Wonder why?

I'd argue the Rock did more for him when jobbing to him at No mercy (think it was that 1) a couple of months later and his match at No Way Out in 2001 (which even though Angle lost made him look like a total bad ass)

The Rock- I think they elevated each other. Again he's another guy whose not known to be a fan of Triple H.

You want to talk about a selfless guy in the business? Look no further than the Rock. The thing about him was he's not as insecure as Triple H. He knew that he was so talented that he could get all the momentum back from a loss the minute he opened his mouth and talked the next night.

Buts thats all subjective. There are counterpoints to what I just posted.

Just go back to my original point in case it gets lost. I said that I wouldn't put Triple H on the top of my list of guys who has made stars. I stand by that.

Now that doesn't mean that in 8 long years at the top he hasn't done good things along the way for people. He has. You listed some there. But he's done some ****ty ****ty things too and I'm just bored of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I mean look how he beat up Umaga, Cena sure as hell didnt do that in his matches.

I'd say that was a cover for Umaga being suspended.

That was a bit over the top on Raw. Beating the tag champs is a bit unreal. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Prufrock wrote:
    I'd say that was a cover for Umaga being suspended.

That was a bit over the top on Raw. Beating the tag champs is a bit unreal. But it's not as bad as people are making it out to be.

Of course it was to cover the suspension - but why did HHH get to crush "the Somoan bulldozer", when Cena couldnt "crush him"?

Someone mentioned him putting over Flair in Evolution - well thats a moot point, cause Flair has and was already over

As for VR!'s list:
    HHH has been putting people over left right and centre since 1997!

Arent you forgetting Mick Foley - who got HHH over then, and since then?

The Rock? As I said before I think its harsh to say the Rock couldnt work in the ring - he actually had more wrestling moves under his belt before he became "The Rock". As for spending the best part of 2 years putting him over - well not really in one on one circumstances. After the IC win in 1997, Rock joined the Nation of Domination, and then became the Corporate Champion. In fact a year after The Rock won that IC title, HHH won it back at Summerslam 1998.

Shelton Benjamin - well personally TWGTT should never have been split up...period!

Benoit: Sir you did not just go there! If you are talking about No Mercy 2000 - Triple H won and thats what most people will remember. They then didnt face each other for 4 more years....somehow that doesnt strike me as getting someone over.

Orton and Batista: Yeah I will give you them...but look how well they did on their first run on their own, away from HHH - not very well, nor memorable :)

Kurt Angle - yeah the triple threat was memorable, cause The Rock went over. And yet the following month HHH beat Angle in a no DQ match! It wasnt til 2001 that Angle actually went over HHH in a singles match.

Sorry but I just dont see HHH as a guy who is helping people get over. Does anyone actually think Carlito will win against HHH on PPV? Or that the tag champs should have smacked him down.

As someone said before, he is trying to be Super-Austin again...again tired old **** being reforumulated. I wonder how long it will take for people to start complaining about HHH being boring. Heh, I dont count myself, cause I've been bitching since he originally left :)

Just go back to my original point in case it gets lost. I said that I wouldn't put Triple H on the top of my list of guys who has made stars. I stand by that.

Now that doesn't mean that in 8 long years at the top he hasn't done good things along the way for people. He has. You listed some there. But he's done some ****ty ****ty things too and I'm just bored of him.

Stand by it all you want Vince, the facts speak for themselves.

I do agree with you that there are times that his bad outweigh the good. In this case though, Carlito, London and Kendrick aren't really going anywhere and aren't likely to do so in the near future. So i really don't see this as the big outrage that everyone else is.

VR!

• Advertisement

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Arent you forgetting Mick Foley - who got HHH over then, and since then?

Not really. HHH had developed the heat before he started feuding with Foley. He came out of the Marc Mero feud looking like a complete dick, which is exactly what HHH needed because the blueblood snob character was wearing thin.
    The Rock? As I said before I think its harsh to say the Rock couldnt work in the ring - he actually had more wrestling moves under his belt before he became "The Rock". As for spending the best part of 2 years putting him over - well not really in one on one circumstances. After the IC win in 1997, Rock joined the Nation of Domination, and then became the Corporate Champion. In fact a year after The Rock won that IC title, HHH won it back at Summerslam 1998.

Last i checked, Austin won the IC belt from Owen at Summerslam 97! Rock won it from HHH either just before or just after Wrestlemania. Can't quite remember exactly then. You mentioned the Nation, who did they spent most of their time feuding with? And who was with that stable? You guessed it, HHH. Same with the corporation!
    Shelton Benjamin - well personally TWGTT should never have been split up...period!

Proof that the draft lottery isn't always the greatest idea.
    Benoit: Sir you did not just go there! If you are talking about No Mercy 2000 - Triple H won and thats what most people will remember. They then didnt face each other for 4 more years....somehow that doesnt strike me as getting someone over.

I wasn't referring to No Mercy 2000 though. I was referring to RAW where the decision was reversed. And they faced each other several times on RAW and SD. Just because it wasn't PPV doesn't mean it was unimportant. If we were to judge WWE on it's last PPV, we'd be seriously worried.
    Orton and Batista: Yeah I will give you them...but look how well they did on their first run on their own, away from HHH - not very well, nor memorable :)

By that logic, you could say the same for Bret Hart's first singles push in 88, Hogans first WWWF run and John Cena's babyface run in 2002!
    Kurt Angle - yeah the triple threat was memorable, cause The Rock went over. And yet the following month HHH beat Angle in a no DQ match! It wasnt til 2001 that Angle actually went over HHH in a singles match.

Nonetheless, it was still he match that got him over as a main event player! Yeah, Rock can take some of the credit as well. But even after winning KOTR that year, he was still midcarding
    As someone said before, he is trying to be Super-Austin again...again tired old **** being reforumulated. I wonder how long it will take for people to start complaining about HHH being boring. Heh, I dont count myself, cause I've been bitching since he originally left :)

That i will agree with. Although i'm glad he's back just for his funny promos if anything else. :)

VR!

Proof that the draft lottery isn't always the greatest idea.

That we can definitely agree on :)

They sure do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I haven't been a fan of HHH since 99/00. He had some great matches back then, but the only things he's done since then that I've liked have been a couple of feuds with Shawn Michaels and something he did with Austin too. I agree with the points Vince made earlier

I didn't watch Raw, but having the tag champs lose to a single wrestler never makes sense or good business. It was the same thing when Angle bet MNM last year. And having HHH beat up the top face tag team belittles both the division and the wrestlers even more. These are four guys who had the best match at the ppv the night before. Their next match should be built up well by making them look important. I guess making HHH look important comes first though

HHH had an average match with Carlito at the ppv too. The ending was what annoyed me the most: after Carlito threw the powder in HHH's eyes, HHH was still able to react as quick as ever to Carlito's attacks. Maybe if he sold it a bit he could have made Carlito look a little credible, but making opponents look good doesn't seem to have been on his agenda for a good while

Fozzy wrote:
    Maybe if he sold it a bit he could have made Carlito look a little credible, but making opponents look good doesn't seem to have been on his agenda for a good while

Aw come on Foz, am i reading that right? How can it be remotely possible to make Carlito credible with that hair?! He looks like a bad cross between Jimi Hendrix and Mike Patton for christs sake! ;)

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

They do and the fact is he has buried more people than he has put over. Cases in point...

Chris Jericho - Having ended the months long reign of Y2J, he ensured he never got a title rematch and that Jericho would spend years never getting a shot at being in the main event. Don't tell me charisma or wrestling ability held Y2J back. Maybe Big Nose held bitterness over his quad injury? Only he can answer that.

Rob Van Dam - Your favourite wrestler of course. He refused to put him over despite the fact he was one of the most over babyfaces in the company. Instead he dropped the belt to his best friend (who he won it back from a month later) and funnily enough a few months later he'd wrestle his less over, more immobile friend Kevin Nash.

Booker T - After defeating The Rock in a Battle Royale leading up to Wrestlemania 19 and after months of him producing funny skits and developing into a strong babyface, Booker T was buried by Big Nose who decided it would be best for business to pin him CLEAN in the ring. This leads to years of mid-card obscurity for Booker T before he finally gets a chance to become a main event guy.

Randy Orton - You mentioned sarcastically he had nothing to do with getting him over. He didn't really though. He played a big part in burying him ultimately. Foley made Orton. Triple H ensured he got the strap before taking it from him a month later. Orton was made into a transitional champion. Triple H would destroy him at the Royal Rumble and undo most of Foley's efforts.

Scott Steiner - A justifiable burial but a burial nonetheless. ;)

Chris Benoit - A more subtle burial. He had his protegé take the gold from him and ensured Benoit got no rematch. He then entered himself into the title picture and forced Benoit into upper mid-card obscurity.

Spirit Squad - Talented guys who were destroyed by Big Nose's ego.

I also find it farcical to suggest he helped make Kurt Angle. Kurt was getting over through entertaining mic work and solid wrestling skills before he even locked up with Triple H or engaged in the Steph storyline. The Rock was going to make it regardless of Triple H.

He did make Batista but if he had remained on Raw would he have left him alone? I'm not so sure. He did help make Benjamin but hasn't done much for him lately.

Triple H is in my view the most overrated wrestler on the planet. Ten world titles and yet he hasn't had a stellar match in years. The guys he puts over - Orton, Benjamin, Benoit etc. soon return to mid-card status and he has a Hogan-esque determination to "get back" victories as can be seen in his determination to get HHH-Cena II before he had his quad injury. His "funny" promos are crap as he tries to hard, though admittedly the writers give him awful stuff to work with (then again maybe he and Steph love them at home).

If it wasn't for his political stroke he would never have attained the level of success that he has.

Fozzy wrote:
    Maybe if he sold it a bit he could have made Carlito look a little credible, but making opponents look good doesn't seem to have been on his agenda for a good while

Aw come on Foz, am i reading that right? How can it be remotely possible to make Carlito credible with that hair?! He looks like a bad cross between Jimi Hendrix and Mike Patton for christs sake! ;)

VR!

Chris Jericho - Having ended the months long reign of Y2J, he ensured he never got a title rematch and that Jericho would spend years never getting a shot at being in the main event. Don't tell me charisma or wrestling ability held Y2J back. Maybe Big Nose held bitterness over his quad injury? Only he can answer that.

I'll give you that, Jericho got the shaft in a bad way. But he wasn't ever gonna be a long term champion judging by the booking anyway. He was booked to win the belt one week before HHH returned! Is HHH to blame for that? Partially, but not fully.
    Rob Van Dam - Your favourite wrestler of course. He refused to put him over despite the fact he was one of the most over babyfaces in the company. Instead he dropped the belt to his best friend (who he won it back from a month later) and funnily enough a few months later he'd wrestle his less over, more immobile friend Kevin Nash.

RVD had no business in a main event program at that period in time, he had enough heat and problems after disrespecting the IC title during several interviews. Enough said!
    Booker T - After defeating The Rock in a Battle Royale leading up to Wrestlemania 19 and after months of him producing funny skits and developing into a strong babyface, Booker T was buried by Big Nose who decided it would be best for business to pin him CLEAN in the ring. This leads to years of mid-card obscurity for Booker T before he finally gets a chance to become a main event guy.

Booker T damn near sucked at that point, he was a midcard joke just coming off the tag team with Goldust after he was fired! Match actually wasn't that bad though after watching it again a couple of weeks ago. But if Booker T won the belt? Where were there to go? RAW didn't have many top quality heels as Rock was leaving, leaving HHH, which will leave you grumbling again.
    Randy Orton - You mentioned sarcastically he had nothing to do with getting him over. He didn't really though. He played a big part in burying him ultimately. Foley made Orton. Triple H ensured he got the strap before taking it from him a month later. Orton was made into a transitional champion. Triple H would destroy him at the Royal Rumble and undo most of Foley's efforts.
    I'll give you that. Backlash 04's hardcore match was one of the best that entire year. But had Orton not been in Evolution, you seriously think that storyline would have played off well? You think that would have worked against Orton, who before Evolution, all he had to his credit was getting injured and RNN skits? Doubtful.
    I KNOW you're just grasping at straws there!
    Chris Benoit - A more subtle burial. He had his protegé take the gold from him and ensured Benoit got no rematch. He then entered himself into the title picture and forced Benoit into upper mid-card obscurity.

Unfair statement. Benoit, like Guerrero - his title reign was badly booked. He was in tag matches for most of his title run! Again, HHH doesn't book, he sits in on the meetings, but the way you're going on, you're making him sound like the Kevin Sullivan of the WWE!
    Oh call a spade a spade here dude. Johnny and Kenny were the only two talented guys there! Nicky, Mikey and Bitch sucked the meat missile. And Shawn played a part in that burial. Down to OVW they went after stinking the place up for months, and justifiably so!
    I also find it farcical to suggest he helped make Kurt Angle. Kurt was getting over through entertaining mic work and solid wrestling skills before he even locked up with Triple H or engaged in the Steph storyline.

He wasn't over enough to be a legit main eventer though before that triple threat. If he was (judging by your past logic), he'd have been main eventing those times and would have had the strap by then (Granted he ended up getting not much later)
    He did make Batista but if he had remained on Raw would he have left him alone? I'm not so sure. He did help make Benjamin but hasn't done much for him lately.

Benjamin is a **** singles guy, that's why. And HHH did his best with him.
    Triple H is in my view the most overrated wrestler on the planet. Ten world titles and yet he hasn't had a stellar match in years.

How many years, again his stuff with Flair 3 years ago springs to mind. Bearing in mind he spent most of this month on the shelf. I guess you'll say Flair carried him ;)
    If it wasn't for his political stroke he would never have attained the level of success that he has.

I love that statement so much. The fact that he had world title runs and IC title runs due to hard work long before he even started boning Steph McMahon had nothing to do with that at all, no sir! :)

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

They do and the fact is he has buried more people than he has put over. Cases in point...

I also find it farcical to suggest he helped make Kurt Angle. Kurt was getting over through entertaining mic work and solid wrestling skills before he even locked up with Triple H or engaged in the Steph storyline. The Rock was going to make it regardless of Triple H.

Triple H is in my view the most overrated wrestler on the planet. Ten world titles and yet he hasn't had a stellar match in years. The guys he puts over - Orton, Benjamin, Benoit etc. soon return to mid-card status and he has a Hogan-esque determination to "get back" victories as can be seen in his determination to get HHH-Cena II before he had his quad injury. His "funny" promos are crap as he tries to hard, though admittedly the writers give him awful stuff to work with (then again maybe he and Steph love them at home).

Didnt Benoit get a rematch the night after Summerslam?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Ph3n0m wrote:
    Of course it was to cover the suspension - but why did HHH get to crush "the Somoan bulldozer", when Cena couldnt "crush him"?

Cena is busy with Orton at the moment. HHH was free. I suppose the creative team thought it was the only way to make it believable. Better than Jeff Hardy putting the "bulldozer" on the shelf.

Nobody can say he doesn't work hard. As Foley said when you get to the top a certain amount of coasting is acceptable but HHH has a good work ethic. Worth 10 world titles? Maybe not. But he does the best he can with what he has available to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

He looks like a bad cross between Jimi Hendrix and Mike Patton for christs sake! ;)

VR!

Like a mix of Hendrix and Patton could go wrong, in musical brilliance at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Kid Nothing

Prufrock wrote:
    Cena is busy with Orton at the moment. HHH was free. I suppose the creative team thought it was the only way to make it believable. Better than Jeff Hardy putting the "bulldozer" on the shelf.

Nobody can say he doesn't work hard. As Foley said when you get to the top a certain amount of coasting is acceptable but HHH has a good work ethic. Worth 10 world titles? Maybe not. But he does the best he can with what he has available to him.

Was watching a Jeff Hardy from around 2005 there last night and he was saying how pissed he was that his fued with HHH in 2004 (i think), when he won the IC belt for a week, was cut short after 2 really good matches. Surely with the amount of injuries it could have been a perfect time to allow Jeff Hardy to make that step up now!!

RVD had no business in a main event program at that period in time, he had enough heat and problems after disrespecting the IC title during several interviews. Enough said!

Well I can't agree with that especially considering right now Orton is in a main event program and we all know what he's been up to.
    Booker T damn near sucked at that point, he was a midcard joke just coming off the tag team with Goldust after he was fired! Match actually wasn't that bad though after watching it again a couple of weeks ago. But if Booker T won the belt? Where were there to go? RAW didn't have many top quality heels as Rock was leaving, leaving HHH, which will leave you grumbling again.

They could have went with Jericho who you acknowledged should have been utilised a lot better. I don't think Booker T sucked at that point at all. He'd been around the main event area for a while and was accepted as a genuine contender and top babyface by the fans. All he needed was the rub from a big star but Triple H wouldn't give it.
    I'll give you that. Backlash 04's hardcore match was one of the best that entire year. But had Orton not been in Evolution, you seriously think that storyline would have played off well? You think that would have worked against Orton, who before Evolution, all he had to his credit was getting injured and RNN skits? Doubtful.

I don't think Orton being in Evolution made much of a difference. He pinned Foley with Evolution at WM20 but it was the Backlash match that really made him a star as they were chanting his name the following night on Raw. I think Foley deserves full credit for that.
    I KNOW you're just grasping at straws there!

Steiner did suck and deserved his burial but it is amusing that Triple H didn't even attempt to try and put him over considering the hype surrounding his debut. At least he made somewhat of an effort with Goldberg...though he had pinned him first at Summerslam. So selfless that man!
    Unfair statement. Benoit, like Guerrero - his title reign was badly booked. He was in tag matches for most of his title run! Again, HHH doesn't book, he sits in on the meetings, but the way you're going on, you're making him sound like the Kevin Sullivan of the WWE!

I don't think it's unfair. If you recall Bad Blood, Triple H vs HBK headlined in a Hell in the Cell match (which Triple H won) while Benoit took on Kane for the title in the match preceding it. And look at what happened the year later at WM21 following Benoit's victory over Triple H at WM20. Benoit was put in the MITB match while Triple H headlined AGAIN at Wrestlemania.
    Oh call a spade a spade here dude. Johnny and Kenny were the only two talented guys there! Nicky, Mikey and Bitch sucked the meat missile. And Shawn played a part in that burial. Down to OVW they went after stinking the place up for months, and justifiably so!

I agree Johnny and Kenny were the talented ones but why no effort to elevate them? Why demote all of them? Every match vs D-X was a squash.
    He wasn't over enough to be a legit main eventer though before that triple threat. If he was (judging by your past logic), he'd have been main eventing those times and would have had the strap by then (Granted he ended up getting not much later)

He was King of the Ring in 2000 so they obviously did feel he was over enough to be a legit main eventer. He had won the European and IC title. If he had sucked they wouldn't have pushed him so hard. I really don't think Triple H deserves any credit whatsoever for what happened with Angle.
    Benjamin is a **** singles guy, that's why. And HHH did his best with him.

Well he gave Benjamin flukey roll-up wins and I can't agree he's a **** singles guy. He had one of the best ever Raw matches with Shawn Michaels and was very good around 2005.
    How many years, again his stuff with Flair 3 years ago springs to mind. Bearing in mind he spent most of this month on the shelf. I guess you'll say Flair carried him ;)

He's poor working as a babyface in my opinion. I haven't been blown away by anything he's done since his Benoit feud in 2004.
    I love that statement so much. The fact that he had world title runs and IC title runs due to hard work long before he even started boning Steph McMahon had nothing to do with that at all, no sir! :)

As I said originally, If it wasn't for his political stroke he would never have attained the level of success that he has. He has deserved World Title reigns but ten of them? I think not.
    Didnt Benoit get a rematch the night after Summerslam?

He did but this was the night of the Evolution turn on Orton and the whole match was simply a set-up for that. That was another joke. Evolution came down and caused a DQ when Benoit was supposedly about to make Orton tap and beat the sh*t out of Benoit. They then turned on orton. As for Benoit...well he was forgotten about despite the fact his title rematch ended up being disrupted. This of course led to Triple H chasing Orton's title which he ended up winning.

Well I can't agree with that especially considering right now Orton is in a main event program and we all know what he's been up to.

Understandable comparison. But WWE weren't as desperate for main eventers in 2002 as they are now.
    They could have went with Jericho who you acknowledged should have been utilised a lot better. I don't think Booker T sucked at that point at all. He'd been around the main event area for a while and was accepted as a genuine contender and top babyface by the fans. All he needed was the rub from a big star but Triple H wouldn't give it.

Neither would Undertaker or Kurt Angle. Why lay all the blame on HHH? And if you call 1 month, the main event area for a while, then i can understand your disappointment. To me, Booker wouldn't become main event material until 2006, and even then, i questioned how long it would last. And I completely agree with Jericho, but bad booking, AGAIN is not exactly the fault of HHH.
    I don't think Orton being in Evolution made much of a difference. He pinned Foley with Evolution at WM20 but it was the Backlash match that really made him a star as they were chanting his name the following night on Raw. I think Foley deserves full credit for that.

He gets partial from me, as that match wouldn't have been as much of a big deal had it happened four months earlier. Some things just work better with certain elements added to the equation. You're a wrestling fan, you already know this.
    Steiner did suck and deserved his burial but it is amusing that Triple H didn't even attempt to try and put him over considering the hype surrounding his debut. At least he made somewhat of an effort with Goldberg...though he had pinned him first at Summerslam. So selfless that man!

You're really grasping at straws with Goldberg. Why should HHH have put him over when he was gonna be gone in a year? If memory serves me well, he'd only signed a one year contract, once he dropped the strap back, it was obvious that he wasn't going to re-sign!
    I don't think it's unfair. If you recall Bad Blood, Triple H vs HBK headlined in a Hell in the Cell match (which Triple H won) while Benoit took on Kane for the title in the match preceding it. And look at what happened the year later at WM21 following Benoit's victory over Triple H at WM20. Benoit was put in the MITB match while Triple H headlined AGAIN at Wrestlemania.

HBK has quite a few wins over HHH, just not all of them are on PPV. I love how people (in general, no knock on you dude, past all that sh*t now) see PPV as the be all and end all. HBK and HHH's best match since Summerslam 02 was on RAW at the end of 03! Benoit was relegated to midcard status at Mania 23 again, is hardly the fault of HHH not putting him over, he'd switched brands since, I don't see you blaming the likes of Undertaker or Krystal Marshall for not putting him over! C'mon man, i know you're sick of HHH, but you can't blame him for everything! As hard as you are trying!
    I agree Johnny and Kenny were the talented ones but why no effort to elevate them? Why demote all of them? Every match vs D-X was a squash.

I don't understand why Johnny was sent back at all. But the big box being sent back to OVW via OPS had me laughing for about five minutes. I thought it was great!
    He was King of the Ring in 2000 so they obviously did feel he was over enough to be a legit main eventer. He had won the European and IC title. If he had sucked they wouldn't have pushed him so hard. I really don't think Triple H deserves any credit whatsoever for what happened with Angle.
    I never said Angle sucked, I just said that they didn't feel he was a main eventer. I stand by that because he wasn't in any main events for 2 months since his KOTR win! I personally think he was pinned for that win to give that monikor some credibility back after Billy Gunn's farce of a run. That's probably just me though. If Angle had been thrown into a main event program, or even built into one. But no, he was thrown into a silly program with Undertaker involving Motor Scooters! Now if that's you're idea of top quality main event programming. Then run out and get the best of RAW and SD from 2007! ;)
    Well he gave Benjamin flukey roll-up wins and I can't agree he's a **** singles guy. He had one of the best ever Raw matches with Shawn Michaels and was very good around 2005.

Just never got the guy. I think WGTT were broken up far too early, after barely getting a year together, and both guys were shafted. I'm obviously not the only one who feels that way. Once Benjy got into singles, he was just a victim to a load of black jokes.
    He's poor working as a babyface in my opinion. I haven't been blown away by anything he's done since his Benoit feud in 2004.
    I found him quite funny as a babyface. Although his 2002 run was god awful, but having to work with Hasbeen Hogan and Crippletaker isn't gonna give anyone a ***** classic!
    As I said originally, If it wasn't for his political stroke he would never have attained the level of success that he has. He has deserved World Title reigns but ten of them? I think not.

Not everyone gets what they deserve or deserves what they get in wrestling, something i figured you'd either know, if not at least agree with. There are Hogan, Undertaker and JBL title reigns that i could easily point out that were undeserved. Sadly, at the end of the day that is a matter of opinion.

Tell ya one thing though, if boards ever comes with a podcast for Pro Wrestling, i'd love to go on one with you cos i think we'd have a blast on it. No matter how much we agree or disagree on. And i mean that. :)

VR!

Understandable comparison. But WWE weren't as desperate for main eventers in 2002 as they are now.

That's true but I believe Van Dam had earned his chance. I actually think they were a year too late with him as he had been insanely over in 2001.
    Neither would Undertaker or Kurt Angle. Why lay all the blame on HHH? And if you call 1 month, the main event area for a while, then i can understand your disappointment. To me, Booker wouldn't become main event material until 2006, and even then, i questioned how long it would last. And I completely agree with Jericho, but bad booking, AGAIN is not exactly the fault of HHH.

Well Taker and Booker weren't in the position to give Booker the rub but Triple H was. Angle gave Booker a rub when he was on SD in that very dumb Sharmell angle and I'm sure Taker would have put him over if asked considering the utter dross he's put over in the past. I just think it was a big missed opportunity with Booker in that period.
    He gets partial from me, as that match wouldn't have been as much of a big deal had it happened four months earlier. Some things just work better with certain elements added to the equation. You're a wrestling fan, you already know this.

From what I've read Triple H wanted an Orton program around WM20 but acknowledged Orton wasn't ready yet. Foley was very selfless and put Orton over huge. I really don't think the Evolution aspect helped Orton much other than maybe giving a bit more strength to his promos. To me though it was that Backlash match that put Orton on the map.
    You're really grasping at straws with Goldberg. Why should HHH have put him over when he was gonna be gone in a year? If memory serves me well, he'd only signed a one year contract, once he dropped the strap back, it was obvious that he wasn't going to re-sign!

I don't think it's grasping at straws when he dropped the belt to Goldberg the following month at Unforgiven and then lost to him at Survivor Series. The big match though was the Summerslam Elimination Chamber match and I find it sad that after Rock and Jericho had put over Goldberg (and after HBK had put him over in the chamber match) that HHH put a stop to his momentum.
    HBK has quite a few wins over HHH, just not all of them are on PPV. I love how people (in general, no knock on you dude, past all that sh*t now) see PPV as the be all and end all.

You're right that PPVs might not be the be all and end all but the television matches don't seem to matter to Triple H. Often he'll allow himself to be pinned by his PPV opponent on the Raw before the PPV. He did that with Booker.
    HBK and HHH's best match since Summerslam 02 was on RAW at the end of 03! Benoit was relegated to midcard status at Mania 23 again, is hardly the fault of HHH not putting him over, he'd switched brands since, I don't see you blaming the likes of Undertaker or Krystal Marshall for not putting him over! C'mon man, i know you're sick of HHH, but you can't blame him for everything! As hard as you are trying!

Does Undertaker sit in on writer's meetings though? Does Krystal bonk anyone in the McMahon family (maybe Vince but I doubt it :D ). You can't tell me that Batista's dominant spell on SD was nothing to do with Triple H's influence. I remember Kurt Angle saying not long ago that Triple H only put over Benoit because he knew Benoit had not got a charisma to rival himself. He also alleged this was a factor in why Triple H would not put him over when Angle was drafted to Raw. Angle can talk some sh*t but in this instance I believe he is correct.
    I don't understand why Johnny was sent back at all. But the big box being sent back to OVW via OPS had me laughing for about five minutes. I thought it was great!

It was one of them better skits admittedly but I do think it was a waste of talent.
    I never said Angle sucked, I just said that they didn't feel he was a main eventer. I stand by that because he wasn't in any main events for 2 months since his KOTR win! I personally think he was pinned for that win to give that monikor some credibility back after Billy Gunn's farce of a run. That's probably just me though. If Angle had been thrown into a main event program, or even built into one. But no, he was thrown into a silly program with Undertaker involving Motor Scooters! Now if that's you're idea of top quality main event programming. Then run out and get the best of RAW and SD from 2007! ;)

I felt he was given KOTR because he could bring a great humour to the role. Has to be said he looked hilarious in that crown! I really don't see how Triple H helped elevate him. I would say the storyline involving Triple H and Steph had more of an influence but only because it allowed Kurt to be funny.
    Just never got the guy. I think WGTT were broken up far too early, after barely getting a year together, and both guys were shafted. I'm obviously not the only one who feels that way. Once Benjy got into singles, he was just a victim to a load of black jokes.

I actually enjoyed his long IC title reign as a singles guy and felt he had great potential. His mic skills suck balls though and that's probably going to keep him in mid-card for the forseeable future.
    I found him quite funny as a babyface. Although his 2002 run was god awful, but having to work with Hasbeen Hogan and Crippletaker isn't gonna give anyone a ***** classic!

Agree with you there. Mainly it's the way he wrestes as a babyface which I think hurts him.
    Not everyone gets what they deserve or deserves what they get in wrestling, something i figured you'd either know, if not at least agree with. There are Hogan, Undertaker and JBL title reigns that i could easily point out that were undeserved. Sadly, at the end of the day that is a matter of opinion.

Yes you're right on that but it's the number of titles which he's won that bothers me. I'm convinced he's on a quest to break Flair's record of title wins and I'd really hate to see that happen.
    Tell ya one thing though, if boards ever comes with a podcast for Pro Wrestling, i'd love to go on one with you cos i think we'd have a blast on it. No matter how much we agree or disagree on. And i mean that. :)

VR!

Yeah likewise. Just as long as kentonbomb's not allowed on. :cool:

• Advertisement

That's true but I believe Van Dam had earned his chance. I actually think they were a year too late with him as he had been insanely over in 2001.

I hear what you're saying, but that would have been an even bigger mistake, regardless of my feelings on RVD. But look at Lesnar one year later. Big guy, big muscles, great wrestler, given too much too soon. Walked out of a huge deal, then spent most of his time afterwards crying in court over a clause he knew he signed himself into. RVD would have screwed himself over if he was pushed that quickly after his debut.
    Well Taker and Booker weren't in the position to give Booker the rub but Triple H was. Angle gave Booker a rub when he was on SD in that very dumb Sharmell angle and I'm sure Taker would have put him over if asked considering the utter dross he's put over in the past. I just think it was a big missed opportunity with Booker in that period.

Taker was I believe, he's one of the oldest people out of the current roster at the time. Getting a win over him would elevate him in a big way. It was a missed opportunity for Booker, and i'm all on for guys on the rise, it's something new to check out. But it was way too soon for Booker to be a big player, especially to win the title after being a midcard joke and one half of a comedy team? It just didn't make a sh*tload of booking sense!
    From what I've read Triple H wanted an Orton program around WM20 but acknowledged Orton wasn't ready yet. Foley was very selfless and put Orton over huge. I really don't think the Evolution aspect helped Orton much other than maybe giving a bit more strength to his promos. To me though it was that Backlash match that put Orton on the map.

Key words there - Triple H acknowledged! Now if he was as selfish as you make him out to be, he wouldn't bother, put him in the main event at Mania, and bury him! I like Foley, Foley will put most people over, without question. He got a lot of heat after that match (Mania XX), specifically from Austin from what i remember from his ROH shoot in 2004. I still don't know if Orton would have grown as a character without being part of Evolution, and without being from HHH and Flair. Something we'll never truly know I guess.
    I don't think it's grasping at straws when he dropped the belt to Goldberg the following month at Unforgiven and then lost to him at Survivor Series. The big match though was the Summerslam Elimination Chamber match and I find it sad that after Rock and Jericho had put over Goldberg (and after HBK had put him over in the chamber match) that HHH put a stop to his momentum.

Well Rock was leaving, it made sense for him to put Goldberg over. Jericho was stuck in limbo so it was the highest profile match he was gonna go over. Summerslam's elimination chamber match was a letdown, more for Flair's interference. But again, HHH doesn't book the matches either so blaming him isn't reiterating your point.

You're right that PPVs might not be the be all and end all but the television matches don't seem to matter to Triple H. Often he'll allow himself to be pinned by his PPV opponent on the Raw before the PPV. He did that with Booker.

Well we are talking about the same guy who had to job to Warrior and eat pig muck on PPV. That sort of sh*t can be pretty tough to live down ;)
    Does Undertaker sit in on writer's meetings though? Does Krystal bonk anyone in the McMahon family (maybe Vince but I doubt it :D ). You can't tell me that Batista's dominant spell on SD was nothing to do with Triple H's influence. I remember Kurt Angle saying not long ago that Triple H only put over Benoit because he knew Benoit had not got a charisma to rival himself. He also alleged this was a factor in why Triple H would not put him over when Angle was drafted to Raw. Angle can talk some sh*t but in this instance I believe he is correct.

According to Shawns book, Hunter sat in on meetings dating back to about 96, didn't stop him from putting Rock over. As for Angle, i take what he says (especially after he left WWE, bitter and jaded) with a pinch of salt, and i'm sure you can understand why.
    I felt he was given KOTR because he could bring a great humour to the role. Has to be said he looked hilarious in that crown! I really don't see how Triple H helped elevate him. I would say the storyline involving Triple H and Steph had more of an influence but only because it allowed Kurt to be funny.

Both HHH and Angle were funny during that storyline, especially when Foley tried to tag them together. The priceless look on HHH's face, as well as Angles when HHH begged him not to "team him up with this olympic twerp!" HHH did have a hand in getting him up to main event level. Not sole responsibility, but he definitely had a hand in it, i feel.
    I actually enjoyed his long IC title reign as a singles guy and felt he had great potential. His mic skills suck balls though and that's probably going to keep him in mid-card for the forseeable future.

Unless he can bring back Mama Benjamin to keep us entertained!
    Yes you're right on that but it's the number of titles which he's won that bothers me. I'm convinced he's on a quest to break Flair's record of title wins and I'd really hate to see that happen.

It's gonna happen, and Flair will give him his blessing as well. As far as i'm concerned, he can be pushed all he wants, as long as we don't suffer overexposure like we did in 2003!
    Yeah likewise. Just as long as kentonbomb's not allowed on. :cool:

Hah burn!
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Some good points there lads! But I have to side with Triple H on this one. I don't care what anyone says, he does work hard. He may not have had stellar matches in the last 2 years or so. But his feud with Flair almost 2 years ago was great IMO.
    I can't deny that he does bury people (his signature match should be buried alive, lol). But to be honest, if it wasn't for Triple H, I would have stopped watching wrestling about 3/4 years ago. If I had of gotten out of wrestling, a few years ago, I would have missed so much, including Edge's ascension to main event status, so I feel a debt of gratitude to Triple H, so be warned, I'll defend him to the last.
    Also, he is the one wrestler that genuinly makes me feel emotion anymore in wrestling. When he is a heel, as much as I want to cheer for him, he makes me hate him.

P.S. Where is kentonbomb these days?

Minto wrote:

School started again two weeks ago, Kentonbomb's last spree of posts was about two weeks ago...

... coincidence? ;)
    VR!

Minto wrote:

Oh, I asked him to PM me when his ban was up in case I forgot. He didn't and I did

Fozzy wrote:
    Oh, I asked him to PM me when his ban was up in case I forgot. He didn't and I did

Dude, that's the funniest sh*t i have read here in weeks! :)
    VR!

• Advertisement

There's a relevant article here that I'd pretty much competely agree with: http://www.wrestlingobserver.com/wo/news/headlines/default.asp?aID=20771

I think Mr Nice Guy wrote that article!
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

great piece of journalism there; my favourite part which i agree 100% with:
    But let me tell you something, Hunter. You can win as
    many World Titles as you want, you can main event as
    many Wrestlemania’s as you want, and you can line up
    the entire WWE roster and give every single one of
    them the Pedigree right in the middle of the ring.
    You will never be better than Ric Flair, and you will
    never be a bigger star than Austin, Hogan, or The
    Rock. And that is a wrestling history that you can’t
    ignore, and you can’t rewrite, as hard as you might
    try.

Good piece of writing.

I think Mr Nice Guy wrote that article!
    VR!

Nah that Dan chap clearly reads this forum!

First, did any of ye see this in the help desk forum?
    http://http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055138160&referrerid=59211

I've just watched the segment with Triple H 'burying' all these guys. I really don't think it was as bad as a lot of people are saying. Beating Cade and Murdoch was to be expected, thats how these matches are supposed to be booked, nobody complained this much when Cena and CANDICE beat Cade/Murdoch and Umaga! And if it was Austin and he had stunned the Hooliganz, people would be like, "Thats Stone Cold for ya!". I think that this whole thing boils down to is that people hate Triple H cos he is in the position everyone of us wants to be in! Don't deny it! He is a member of the biggest wrestling family in the world, has a job for life, is living his dream and is married to Steph.

Minto wrote:
    Beating Cade and Murdoch was to be expected, thats how these matches are supposed to be booked.

Explain that one to me. I would LOVE tag team wrestling to mean something again. But when you do things like they did on Monday, you piss on it. He's basically buried the division and did the same last year too.

Explain that one to me. I would LOVE tag team wrestling to mean something again. But when you do things like they did on Monday, you piss on it. He's basically buried the division and did the same last year too.

Look at any other time a person has been booked against a heel tag and had lost! I can't give specifics, but I can't remember the last time the tag team won the handicap match. Also, if the entire division is only two teams, like it is at the moment, there isn't much more damage that can be done!

Minto wrote:
    Look at any other time a person has been booked against a heel tag and had lost! I can't give specifics, but I can't remember the last time the tag team won the handicap match. Also, if the entire division is only two teams, like it is at the moment, there isn't much more damage that can be done!

Whatever damage could be done, he did it.

You cited the Cena/Canidce handicap earlier. That does nobody any favorus either but even the finishes were night and day. The Cena/Candice one had Jeff Hardy with a steel chair interfering. This was just Triple H winning with a spine buster.

No one gets anything from a match and angle like this.

Minto wrote:
    I've just watched the segment with Triple H 'burying' all these guys. I really don't think it was as bad as a lot of people are saying. Beating Cade and Murdoch was to be expected, thats how these matches are supposed to be booked, nobody complained this much when Cena and CANDICE beat Cade/Murdoch and Umaga! And if it was Austin and he had stunned the Hooliganz, people would be like, "Thats Stone Cold for ya!". I think that this whole thing boils down to is that people hate Triple H cos he is in the position everyone of us wants to be in! Don't deny it! He is a member of the biggest wrestling family in the world, has a job for life, is living his dream and is married to Steph.

Hold on, beating the tag team champions of the world is to be expected? Was beating them with a spinebuster also to be expected. I can recall years ago on SD a handicap tables match between The Rock and The Dudleyz and guess what - Rock lost! Why? Because it made sense.

And you're right people would have been like, "That's Stone Cold for ya!" because that's his thing. He's Austin. DTA. It's not Triple H's thing. Why didn't he turn on Cena last year when he was doing his D-X thing and doing 6-man matches with Cena? I mean, he had been in a rivalry with Cena. Because he couldn't get away with burying the top guy in the company but he can get away with it when two promsiing mid-card guys are involved.

What it boils down to is that we have a guy who has a track record of putting himself before other guys who need his help and a guy who has been in world title matches at Wrestlemania for five straight years from WM18-WM22 with four of them being the main event of the show. (Only a quad injury broke the streak at WM23)

Now you can like the guy fair enough and obviously some people enjoy his dominant spells, but equally there are those of us who are sick and tired of seeing him dominate and give very little back. His place in history is secure. Why does he need to pull these sorts of stunts? What benefit do they bring besides stroking his ego? What was the point? I just don't get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement