Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Help!!!

Options
  • 18-09-2007 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I'm going to CIT and living in Edenhall. I am having trouble with the broadband there. I checked the speed on myspeed.ie and I got 210kpbs. However when I try to download something I only get speeds of 40kbps and lower. Also it takes an age to watch youtube videos and similar videos from other sites. Can somebody please help and recommened something? Do I have to set up a proxy or something? I also want to use the broadband connection for some online gaming aswell.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

First off, what are the parameters of your current broadband service ?
    Max download = ?
    Max upload = ?
    Contention = ?
    Max total download cap per month = ?

Plus any other stated restrictions on your package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 alanmurphy88

okay i'm kinda useless at this but is their a website or a program that can tell you this information?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

I get it more now.
    You are staying in a student apartment complex here, right ?
    And the broadband, phone, TV etc is part of the deal.
    You just pay them an all-embracing rent, I suppose.

You have to ask the house services (or whatever they call it there) about the standard of internet there.
    My guess would be that the broadband service is shared between all residents at the complex. Given that practically all of you will be actively on the web for most of the evening the most important question you have to ask are -
    1) What is the download rate ? (And be clear between bits and bytes !)
    2) What is the contention ? (That is the maximum number of users sharing that download rate at any one time - the number of pigs eating from the same trough, so to speak)

You can't rely on the guff the house services people tell you always so ask an older IT or electronics student at the complex the same questions.

My guess is that students have a very modest "broad"band service - partly to prevent some individuals doing high capacity stuff (either study-related or just gaming) in the complex and spoiling the basic service to the rest of you.
    It would also act as a push-out factor for older students who want to do more demanding work from their rooms rather than in CIT as well as getting good VoIP, torrents, video streaming, etc, etc. To get these they'd have to move to a private rented flat and pay for their own internet.

So basically ask around the hall.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 abubadabu

Hy,
    my Girlfriend is there in Edenhall, we study "Informatik" and we've seen the Edenhall Internet by oure own bloddy eyes.

1: Almost every port is blocked (expect some like 21, 80, 443, pop3 etc). No Secure Pop3, no FTP. Only way to download from any other port is build your own tunnel.

2: To take the name Broadband for this crap is a joke. We tryed to download a File from about 80MB, witch takes us about 5-6 houres. If you live in Edenhall and wana call somebody out there by skype, forget it too. They will here you but you want here anybody taking a 5 second sentence.

So is this the kind of "Broadband" reality in whole Irland or is this just a loka joke from a guy to take money from poor Students?

Advertisement