Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vtec

Options
  • 18-09-2007 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Was looking to buy a 96 honda civic coupe in england. It is a SR vtec but I've never heard of an SR vtec before. Does anyone know what this is??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭~~SKYHIGH~~

I could be wrong but a 1.6 sohc vtec with a sunroof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

parkers.co.uk is very good for specs, and google too.

The 1.6i SR is a sohc vtec, around about 125bhp. It's kind of half way between the base model (LS) and the VTI coupe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

I had a 97 one of these very rare sr coupes eons ago, it was a super car, probably one of the best i have had. It was fast (wont go into figures...!) and pretty frugal on the petrol. and of course the invincible honda engine.

bit of a no brainer really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

There a pokey enough car,the coupes my favorite of the civics too,theres also alot of performance upgrades available for them even though there only sohc vtec

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

legs11 wrote:
    I had a 97 one of these very rare sr coupes eons ago, it was a super car, probably one of the best i have had. It was fast (wont go into figures...!) and pretty frugal on the petrol. and of course the invincible honda engine.

bit of a no brainer really.

I like the Civic coupes - they're obviously very reliable too, but I don't think its a no-brainer at all. Its not a fast car, sorry. I'd hang on and get a VTi - its going to cost just about as much if not the same on insurance, and the exact same on tax. And the VTi will be a good deal quicker - will have about 40BHP more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

hmm, 130mph ish not fast enough.... hardly.

unless you want to lose control and wrap it around a lamp post.

the only thing about civics is that the build quality is sh%$*, so if you crash it forget about repairing it and buy a new motor. they buckle like paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭kdevitt

legs11 wrote:

unless you want to lose control and wrap it around a lamp post.

the only thing about civics is that the build quality is sh%$*, so if you crash it forget about repairing it and buy a new motor. they buckle like paper.

As unlikely as it is for the car the actually hit 130mph, given Honda quote the VTi's top speed as 129MPH (and I mean really hit that speed, not just take the speedo as being accurate) it takes an eternity to get there, hence its not a fast car - I've had a heap of Hondas - Civics and CRX's. I did think they were fast at the time, but I've since grown up and they weren't

Agreed on build quality - one of my Civic's was written off by a moped years ago.

If the OP isn't overly concerned about having a quick car then its not a huge issue - although I'd imagine the VTi would be easier to sell given its popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

JHMEG wrote:
    parkers.co.uk is very good for specs, and google too.

The 1.6i SR is a sohc vtec, around about 125bhp. It's kind of half way between the base model (LS) and the VTI coupe.

Close, it's a 120bhp it's the engine i'm running atm.
    legs11 wrote:

It's Ireland you'll never ever hit 130 anywhere.
    Oh and wish me a happy birthday fuggos!

Edit, trust me lads it's fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kdevitt wrote:
    As unlikely as it is for the car the actually hit 130mph, given Honda quote the VTi's top speed as 129MPH

A stock VTI will do slightly over 135mph (albeit slowly), and will hit 60mph in about 7.7sec with an average driver behind the wheel. This is close to best-in-class for a 1.6 litre. The only quicker 1.6 litre cars are the Civic Type-R, some of the Pulsars (Jap version of the Almera), and some Mini Coooper S's (altho these have superchargers so aren't really equal).

As for build quality, well it's excellent, for it's day. But you have to remember it is an 11-year old design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Is that actual speed or what it shows on the spedo?

• Advertisement
Advertisement