Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On:Line Betting Paddy Power changing the prices after the event has taken place!

Options
  • 18-09-2007 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Heard a discussion on the radio today where a disgruntled punter was explaining how PP amended an error on the website, after the event was over: the event was the last Irish Rugby game and it offered, as far as I recall, the same price for either a fwd or back scoring the first try: I think it was 15:? where as one of them should have been 11:? cant remember as I dont understand this stuff: [ the effect was that once there was a try the punter won]

Anyway this punter discovers the error and places a bet of 3000 at 15:? and he won 1300 euro, went to the pub, bought loads of gargle for his mates at PP's expense, comes home to find that the money was gone from his account as they had discovered the mistake:eek:

It seems, after some discussions, they eventually voided all his bets on the game so he neither won or lost.

PP claimed on the radio that it was the same as a bank: if the bank makes an error in your favour and discover it, they can reverse it.

As far as I know that is not the case, it can only be done with the account holders consent: so read the small print.

His attitude on the radio was: fcuk the punter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

ircoha wrote:
    Heard a discussion on the radio today where a disgruntled punter was explaining how PP amended an error on the website, after the event was over: the event was the last Irish Rugby game and it offered, as far as I recall, the same price for either a fwd or back scoring the first try: I think it was 15:? where as one of them should have been 11:? cant remember as I dont understand this stuff: [ the effect was that once there was a try the punter won]

Anyway this punter discovers the error and places a bet of 3000 at 15:? and he won 1300 euro, went to the pub, bought loads of gargle for his mates at PP's expense, comes home to find that the money was gone from his account as they had discovered the mistake:eek:

It seems, after some discussions, they eventually voided all his bets on the game so he neither won or lost.

PP claimed on the radio that it was the same as a bank: if the bank makes an error in your favour and discover it, they can reverse it.

As far as I know that is not the case, it can only be done with the account holders consent: so read the small print.

I believe Paddy P are withing their rights, although that doesnt sound like them. They always favour the customer, and much more so than other companies.

Sometimes you would see situations occur where prices are displayed in the bookies/on the net etc. incorrectly. If the person places the bet Paddy Power are withing their rights to not pay out on what was displayed, but on the actual real odds.

Are you sure as well that Paddy P just voided the bet and gave the person back the money. Surely if it was a winner, they would still have to pay it out at the correct odds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭Bernard Hopkins

Had boyle sports take back a few hundred quid they had paid out too much,....... only, they docked it out of my account like 5 months later.
    they didnt notify me or anything,I just logged in one day and the account balance had been adjusted.
    but i didnt complain too much, as the they then just paid me out the correct amount, (it was an accumlator). incurring a loss of a fair bit o cash.

Such is life,....
    had victor c's do it one time, they paid out on a formula one bet (points finish),... i didnt even notice they paid out to be honest and then i got an email to say they were adjusting it,...so I said fine , neigh bother.

On the plus side , I thought I lost a bet on corners one time, and 3 days later i get an email from Ladbrokes, to say I had in fact won !! I got paid handsomely !! nice surprise,... they could have kept their mouth shut as i didnt complain or anything.

Boyles , I do like as a bookie.
    Only one time i had a bet on a snooker fixture in the china open,.... years ago where Ding Junhui was just a kid and priced 7/4 against some mid ranking player,....... lumped a "k" down and could trade it off . some time later i got an email to say they meant to offer 4/7 ,...but 4/7 wasnt Dings correct price, it was like 4/5 (i think) on boyles at the time they emailed me.

I didnt complain much to be honest, but I still believe their compilers priced relatively Unknown Ding Junghui wrongly.... and baulked at the 1k bet.
    They can quote their own rules which say they may reverse "BLATENT" errors,... but a small qualifer was priced wrong early, and I dont know how blatent an error it was !!!! 7/4 to 4/5 ??? they voided my bet.. and i reluctantly agreed. Ding went on to win the qualifier, Grrrrrrrr

Still, I usually say good things about Boyles, Nice prices, Bonus, and customer care is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

ircoha wrote:

I've been on the receiving end of this type of thing recently. Not with Paddys but a UK bookie called Bet1128. A few months back I backed Hamilton to win in a grand prix. Overnight, Alonso (who had qualified first) was found to have broken race rules and put back a place. Race went ahead and Hamilton won. Sweet.

When I went to check my winnings I saw that the bet had been voided five hours before the race started. Normally, bookies would contact you to let you know that a bet had been voided prior to the event starting but I had heard nothing from them.

Emailed them and they replied that they were in the rights to void the bet as it was an "authorised change" in starting positions. When I asked them if they had therefore voided all bets on the race they would not respond.

Thing is, that bookies don't do themselves any favours by voiding bets as inevitably it ends up with punters giving out and coming on forums like this complaining.

Bookies can only rely on offers and prices so much in order to keep repeat business. Being shady when it comes to winning bets is not exactly a good way to keep customers happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dwaincasey

Hi,

I am the punter that was on the Joe duffy show and was also in the evening herald to highlight this practise that Paddy Power implement.

I think it is a disgrace that they would not honour the bet that i made with them at 15/8 odds.
    I just think the public need to be aware that Paddy Power have done this and will do it again.
    I was lucky to have my bets voided in the end as they say they were in their rights to not have even done this for me. I think because of the media attention they agreed to void my bets altogether.

Dwain Casey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 asti_mivec

Hi folks,

I also happened to overhear this discussion on the radio and from what I heard there was not a whole lot wrong with what happened to be perfectly honest. As far as I recall it was a case of human error where a the prices were entered incorrectly for both sides and reversed by mistake. So the price for a back to score the first try was mistakenly put at 15/8 (I think) instead of fairly long odds on (4/11) which is a blatant mistake to anybody with a notion of sports and the slightest idea about betting. If a shop displays an incorrect price on an item by mistake they will still charge you the correct price, I don't find this disgraceful at all. I used to fleece boyles for all they were worth when they had wrong prices like this up and I always checked to see if bets were void afterwards, as I knew I was chancing my arm. Some were voided and some slipped through the net, that's life I reckon. Fair play on getting your money in the end though dwain. :)

• Advertisement

I had a case with PaddyPowers, and I was outraged.

here's the scenario.

I bet on John Higgins vs Styephen lee , to finish under 14.5 frames.
    It was from a coupon , where all the "over/unders" were 5/6 vs 5/6
    except the higgind came which had completed the first session,
    the price had adjusted for under to 4/7 and over 5/4

so one would presume they had taken that first session into account, as they prices were adjusted........ the next day the same price was still there to be taken , right up untill the match re-started. I had 400 € on under 14.5 frames and it was like 5-2 to higgins or so......

Paddy powers waited untill the result was known and then decided to pay out @ 1/33 !!!!!!!!!

yes thats right 1/33 !!!!!!! they altered my (online) slip after the result was known !!

They could have adjusted it to 4/11 , which would have been about right.

Paddy powers absolutely RINSED ME OUT, .... cheating outfit , who make their name off calculated publicity stunts.
    I was furious and complained , where the guy mre or less told me to take a jump.

they told me that they would close my account but refused to give me back my money on other outstanding bets.

I promised them i would catch PP himself on newstalk, and they opffered me a measly free 20€ bet !!!! un-fuknen-believable .........

I never complain much about anything, but PP stuffed me up good and proper and i hope they choke on their ill-gotten money they confiscated from my account.

I know staff there and they dont think much of the treatment by PP's...

PP is good under the camera/microphone, but when it comes to paying out, then its a totally different story, with a policy of ruthless behaviour towards customers queries.

P.S . - if any body from paddypowers want to come on here and challange my story , I would welcome it !!

in fact they may have been covered under their "blatent" rule.
    but define blatent for me please , cause i dont see the definition under the terms and conditions.

I told them they should have paid out @ 1/100 as they would have saved another 4€.

I also questioned them whether they would have paid out @ 5/4 for over or would they have paid out @ a higher price, no response.

Thats some way to treat a customer who has placed 10's of thousands thru their firm over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

asti_mivec wrote:
    Hi folks,

I also happened to overhear this discussion on the radio and from what I heard there was not a whole lot wrong with what happened to be perfectly honest. As far as I recall it was a case of human error where a the prices were entered incorrectly for both sides and reversed by mistake. So the price for a back to score the first try was mistakenly put at 15/8 (I think) instead of fairly long odds on (4/11) which is a blatant mistake to anybody with a notion of sports and the slightest idea about betting. If a shop displays an incorrect price on an item by mistake they will still charge you the correct price, I don't find this disgraceful at all. I used to fleece boyles for all they were worth when they had wrong prices like this up and I always checked to see if bets were void afterwards, as I knew I was chancing my arm. Some were voided and some slipped through the net, that's life I reckon. Fair play on getting your money in the end though dwain. :)
    which is a blatant mistake to anybody with a notion of sports and the slightest idea about betting.

Clearly I fall into this group of retarded individuals, for which I am grateful.

What I do have a notion/slighest idea about is that the 'human error' was established AFTER the money was paid out which allows them create any values they like for the 'corrected' price.

If it was a bricks and mortar betting shop and they paid out in cash it is tough titty: the same for a shop if they sell at wrong price and discover the error afterwards.

Dwaine as betting is a licenced activity I would file a complaint with whoever gives out the licence: I cant help as I have no notion/slighest idea.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

ircoha wrote:
    Clearly I fall into this group of retarded individuals, for which I am grateful.

What I do have a notion/slighest idea about is that the 'human error' was established AFTER the money was paid out which allows them create any values they like for the 'corrected' price.

If it was a bricks and mortar betting shop and they paid out in cash it is tough titty: the same for a shop if they sell at wrong price and discover the error afterwards.

Dwaine as betting is a licenced activity I would file a complaint with whoever gives out the licence: I cant help as I have no notion/slighest idea.....

You have to remember as well though the people who calculate the odds, and those who enter the odds for display on the website are just employees of Paddy Power. Obviously they made a mistake and this could effect their jobs if it costs Paddy Power a lot of money.

Also your statement that 'If it was a bricks and mortar betting shop and they paid out in cash it is tough titty' is incorrect.
    A mate of mine was paid out 400 quid when he should have got 40 or something along those lines. He of course took the cash and legged it out of the place. Unfortunetly they were able to find out who he was and were able to get in contact with him, at which point he returned the money. At the end of the day it would have come down to the ordinary joe soap behind the counter who would get the blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Ginger83

My partner works for another company and every 3/6 mths they review all online accounts and anyone making money off them has their account automatically closed and given some bull**** excuse. Mate of mine is on his third account now, his own closed, the wife's and now is on the son's name.

I'm sure this is a common thing. I went to withdraw 500 quid for the first time from an account of mine, had relevent id, etc and I stood waiting 40mins while the cashier has to ring HQ 4 TIMES to confirm it. What a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Ginger83 wrote:
    My partner works for another company and every 3/6 mths they review all online accounts and anyone making money off them has their account automatically closed and given some bull**** excuse.

I don't think the object of a business is to lose money tbh.

And i doubt its everybody who is winning who is closed down.

• Advertisement

They review active accounts every other day,.... a person could do a lot of damage in 3 months !!!!!!!! you would be very lucky not to get noticed in 3 months.

generally, they will categorize their punters into classes , and tighten the limits of people who are winning,.... but they simultaniously lengthen the limits of "mug" class punters !! business has no scruples i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

They review active accounts every other day,.... a person could do a lot of damage in 3 months !!!!!!!! you would be very lucky not to get noticed in 3 months.

Most of the time you hear of accounts being closed down, but id say it is not about the amount of money, it is the type of bets being placed. There are some people who could be consistently winning for three months straight, but these people are not just reading the form book, there is something extra in their selections.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A friend friend of mine in PPs told me that they often tolerate losing accounts, if the information that that punters bets is giving them allows them to make money from other customers.
    e.g., if a punter has one big bet every 3 weeks on an APOB newcomer and has a high strike rate, then his account may not be closed as his bets are giving the bookie an inside track on which of OBriens newcomers are really fancied, and which aren't.

Advertisement