Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old faiths and books.

Options
  • 18-09-2007 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

Hey, I was just wondering is there many people here who follow old religous structures from pre-christian europe? I'm aware that many here believe in Celtic and Norse Gods, but is there any who are followers of exclusive a certain pantheon. Norse for example.

If so, my main question is how do you choose your "texts"? In other words the documents that you use in your faith.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

I guess I qualify there. I'm Asatruar, a follower of the Aesir and the Vanir, the Norse Gods and Goddess.

The only two 'core' books that people get recommended are the Prose and Poetic eddas, as they're the oldest books we have in print and widespread distribution. Even at that, they come from a time when christianity had been dominant for about a century, and so they have to be viewed through that perspective.

Although core, they should not be seen in terms of them being bible like. They're there to provide basis and a bit of guidance perhaps, not a set of Thou Shalt's.

Asatru is very much an individual path. While there may be recognised practices that many would perform .. blots and sumbals for example .. there is no one correct and undeviatable way of doing things. Everyone will have their own way, each as valid as any other.

For other books .. the likes of books on runes for example, opinion will be given on different lists as to books thought good and bad, same as pretty much any other subject.

Dunno if that helps any or not, but I'll be happy to expand on stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are many books that deal with the Gods of this land that I work with
    and where possible I have tried to work from souces like the ucc and ucd site which have a big listing and many translations of the books of invasion and of the Táin.

Advertisement