Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roleplaying Gamers at DIT.

Options
  • 18-09-2007 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭

Before you shout at me for being a huge nerd, I'd just like to admit it point blank, yes :D

I love RPGs, but I was surprised when I got to DIT to find no society similar to Trinitys GamesSoc, for RPGers such as myself, I was considering trying to gun for setting one up, but as a first year I'm not sure that's viable or a good idea, so I just want to find some people.

There are a lot of books in The 3rd Place I want to buy and play, but I have nobody to play them with, for example, the Cyberpunk RPG, which is very good and I've played it before, I'd love to buy it, but see no point since I don't know anyone in Dublin. There's also the Battletech RPG and the Call Of Cthulhu RPG, just to mention a few.

Of course, if a society were to be setup we'd probably be able to get funding from the college to buy a ton of books, but that's long term thinking, right now I just want to find some RPGers in DIT.

So, is anyone out there? If some 2nd/3rd/4th year wants to try and set up a society if there's interest I wouldn't mind putting in a ton of work, just contact me.

I go to Kevin Street by the way.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Gtfo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭randomcountdown

Binomate wrote:
    Gtfo.
    XD

Expected reply.

I don't mean LARPing >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

So, is anyone out there? If some 2nd/3rd/4th year wants to try and set up a society if there's interest I wouldn't mind putting in a ton of work, just contact me.

Setting up and running a soc is easy. just pop into the socs office downstairs in aungier st and they will tell ya all you need to know. socs training is on in october this year...its always great craic.

tbh all you need for a soc is someone dedicated enough to do the time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I've never actually played an RPG but i have always wanted to. Got some D&D rulebook when i was younger but had no-one to play with. Then got some vampire the masquerade rulebooks, the whole thing of which i find fascinating,i read some novels and such, but still no-one to play with. Was reading about call of cthulu recently and saw the silent movie, looks interesting.

If there was a society i dont know if i would actually go to it but i might.

LOTP wrote:
    Setting up and running a soc is easy. just pop into the socs office downstairs in aungier st and they will tell ya all you need to know. socs training is on in october this year...its always great craic.

tbh all you need for a soc is someone dedicated enough to do the time

It's really not a 1st year job though is it? I mean, not only is there the fact that as a 1st year you don't want to be tied up in all the work, but also you don't have the contacts and/or respect to really run something when you've only been there a couple months.

Plus, if there's no demand for it there's hardly a point trying to set up a society for it. I mean, I'm game for it but I just feel I'd be being a bit of a pretentious twat.

To Spunge:
    RPGs are dead easy to get into, they're not total ruleswhore games like most tabletop games, so there's very little you need to know, especially if you're DM/GM is good. DnD IMO is a terrible game system because it's based way too heavily around rules, to the extent where the DM ends up having arguments with players about what can/can't be done.
    I myself am a big fan of simple d10 systems like World Of Darkness (Same system as Vampire), and simple systems like GURPS.
    Seriously, if we get a group going, not even a society, just pop round for the first session and I'm sure you'd see if you like it or not.

• Advertisement

biggest myth is college surrounds how to run a soc. its fairly easy. no real contacts needed. tbh, with a new soc, anyone is going to have to take time to learn the ropes of how a particular soc runs. and you will never have as much free time as you will in 1st year(depending on your course). as for interest...set up a stall at clubs and socs week...see who is interested and take it from there.

the biggest shame in college isnt socs failing, its people not even trying in the first place.

Also, i ran a very successful soc in my first year, so i know what im talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Go for it and set it up. The student population is huge, I'm sure you'll find enough people to start the society. You might want to branch into other colleges though rather then having it as a Kevin St. soc, though I'm sure that wouldn't really hinder people if they wanted to take part.

An idea might be to ask the Gamersoc in TCD for a hand, maybe do some intervarsity games etc. They're only up the road and if memory serves me then they're quite strong and seem to be decent chaps (though the live action stuff in Freshers week is a bit... funny)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

LARPing >_>

TWO DAMAGE TWO DAMAGE

the thing about college is there's thousands of students, so chances are you share an interest with a few of them. your best bet is to just give it a go and try to get a soc going. if you find interest being very low then at least you tried

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Irishtrekkie

god randomcountdown your just a pretentious twat , lol nah its o.k. i know him . sure it give it a shot , i say you could get some of our class into it , if like everything else we do there is drinking as part of it. so yea 15 people would not be too hard i think ( i challenge you to get a girl to join )
    oh and does it have to be rpg ?
    how about an tactical strategy board wargame ? like risk or starfleet battle (think about it , it would be like advance wars but bigger !).
    anyway yea i guess i would put my name down , if you started up an rpg soc.

and i agree with what Frankiestylee sayed , i heared the gamersoc up in Trinity is quite good . so intervarsity stuff would be on.

I can I broaden this bad boy up a tad and suggest you set up a gamersoc? The TCD society that does so well takes in all those Magic card games etc, rpgs, warhammer things etc... AND... they play games on these new fandangled "computer consoles".
    Might be an idea. It'll definity give the society more scope and allow ye to do fundraising things like Red Alert tournaments etc. plus if people ask your memembers about the society it's much easier to go "yeah we play some rpgs, some ps2" ... nice escape loike :D

• Advertisement

Yeah GamesSoc would be what I'd be aiming at but personally, while I've played Warhammer, Babylon 5, Battletech, Warmachine, etc, I'm not really interested in actual collecting and painting of models just the games themselves, and I'm more of an RPG person.

As for setting up a stall/whatever, does the soc need to be confirmed before we set up a stall? IE: Do we have to have our 15 members, our budget, blah blah blah, all sorted out?

I need to put up posters or something. I'll print some out in the library or something.

I also know a few lads in Trinity and I think they're in GamesSoc so I'll talk to the TCD GamesSoc for advice. I'll print out some posters with a phone number/email or something to see if I can round up some interest, I could go put them up in Aungier ST and Kevin ST.

As I said I don't want to come off like I'm trying to look important by running a soc and that's what I'm afraid of, I just want to try and meet some like minded people and hopefully get money from the college for all those expensive RPG books ;)

NOTE: FrankieStyle: I'm a huge PC Gamer so you'd have no issues from me there about including that aspect, but wouldn't the NetSoc get a big angry we might be stealing their thunder? They do Quake comps and stuff.

So to conclude what we're looking at now is setting up a GamesSoc right? Including RPGs, tabletop games, and the occasional console/PC competition if the NetSoc don't mind (No point having two identical socs and I'd rather help the NetSoc lads run a comp if that's their domain than try and steal their thunder).

**** netsoc.

heh heh... wait, they'll probably hunt me down. I'm pretty sure computer games are strictly netsoc's domain, sure they do it for the craic, but they're don't have exclusive rights on computer games.

Now if there was a gaming soc and you came along with gamersoc... that'd be differant, but I'm pretty sure Netsoc's brief will be more along the lines of computer related stuff rather then game related, so don't worry.

Don't feel bad about wanting to set up a society in 1st year, it's a great idea, and if you pull it off you'll have four years to enjoy it.
    I just hope if you get the numbers that it's successful. I found DIT a tad lacking in facilities for societies.

Yeah I'm just surprised one isn't already in existence.
    Well, the soc HQ type place is in Aungier ST right? I'll nip down there tomorrow and see what I can find out, I'll do up some posters and print them out and tack them up on all the notice boards, any other ideas?

you need 15 signatures, but the budget and the rest depends on how many members you sign up.

plus there is no rule saying two socs can run computer games comps

also, dont waste your own paper or ink or money on posters, the socs place will do them up for ya

LOTP wrote:
    you need 15 signatures, but the budget and the rest depends on how many members you sign up.

plus there is no rule saying two socs can run computer games comps

also, dont waste your own paper or ink or money on posters, the socs place will do them up for ya

Ah thanks, that's saved me a couple bob.
    So, do I need the budget and everything like that all done before the stall is given the go ahead? Also when's the deadline for that, any idea?

Thanks for the help btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gaming doesn't need that much tbh mostly space and tables and chairs.
    The soc will need posters and fliers but you will be surprised how easy it can be done, I set up the rpg/gamersoc when I was in college in dundalk.

If you get a big enough budget you can look at sorting discounts for the other conventions that run.

I would suggest asking on the igaming@yahoogroups.com list for help if you need ideas.

Good luck.

Thaedydal wrote:
    Gaming doesn't need that much tbh mostly space and tables and chairs.
    The soc will need posters and fliers but you will be surprised how easy it can be done, I set up the rpg/gamersoc when I was in college in dundalk.

If you get a big enough budget you can look at sorting discounts for the other conventions that run.

I would suggest asking on the igaming@yahoogroups.com list for help if you need ideas.

Good luck.

Yeah, I've had a bit of a hand in a gaming club in Kilkenny (90% Warhammer, 10% RPGS, and we also ran several Halo 2 Xbox lans), but that was a long time ago and I wasn't in charge of it or anything.
    The main thing you need for tabletop gaming (especially warhammer) is terrain, hopefully we could get some Art/Modelling students interested.
    An Xbox style lan requires nothing more than a router/hub/switch, cables, 4 tables, and 4 chairs per Xbox, and some TVs, from my experience. I have a switch at home (Actually I have 2, one's a 16 port but it needs some repairing) in Kilkenny, so that's simple. Could also do something akin to NetSoc for PC gaming related stuff.

But that's beside the point, my main goal would be RPG gaming, tabletop gaming and TCGs, RPG gaming needs nothing but a table some dice some books and a bunch of comfy chairs, TCGs needs a table and two chairs per two people, and tabletop games need tables, no chairs, and the rulebooks.

I'll design the posters tonight and get them printed tomorrow hopefully.

I didn't find the actual space available to societies to be great. I can't remember the exact details but I was trying to set up a society a year ago and I was a bit disappointed. I hope it goes well for ya but I think you're going to have to be quite creative about coming up with solutions for your logistical problems

I didn't find the actual space available to societies to be great. I can't remember the exact details but I was trying to set up a society a year ago and I was a bit disappointed. I hope it goes well for ya but I think you're going to have to be quite creative about coming up with solutions for your logistical problems

I expect this fully. I suspect it will be a case of being nice to the right people to try and get a room.

GameSoc is currently scheduled to have a stand on Monday and I THINK Tuesday in Kevin ST and Aungier ST.
    If all goes to plan, it'll be a fun stand to stop by, if you're interested in joining or not, and we have a couple of offers with the Xbox Live Center to offer our members, which will hopefully be the first of many with other groups.

• Advertisement

I wanna fire magic missile!

You can't, there's nothing to attack here. :D

Pop by the stand at Kevin ST or Aungier St on Monday and Tuesday, Aungier ST I won't be at though I may be pegging it back and forth to help out, but I''ll spend most of my time at Kevin ST, Aungier ST is run by the Aungier ST console guys, so don't expect to see much magic missile there.

Our current plan for the Kevin ST stand (fingers crossed) is:

Playable Wii, 4 Wiimotes, Wii Sports and Mario Strikers.
    Playable MAME Arcade machine with 2 xbox360 controllers.
    Playable demonstration of Settlers Of Catan (Board game/Strategy game)

Flyers and posters and stuff.

Membership is 3 euro. If you become a member you can stay and play the Wii and MAME machine for as long as you want ;) (Unless we get too many members desperate to play who crowd the booth! :D)

Our current plan for events is to host an event at LEAST once every 2 weeks guaranteed, with other things inbetween depending on what's going on and availability of rooms and venues etc etc. We ARE going to Gamecon but because of the short notice we can't sort out possible discounts or a bus to the venue for our members, so it's really a case of "We're going, come if you want, it'll cost ya the same though".
    The week after Gamecon, we are hoping to have a trip/night out to the Xbox Center for our members, followed by a trip down to Fibbers to get to know each other better the traditional way. BEER! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 zerobeen?

Ok, so I actually missed the start of this week due to timetable far away from Aungier street issues. This is a society I really want to join. Any chance of a late registration?

Fibbers? Oh my. When gaming meets rawk... with buckfast :)

Sounds like a really good setup, well done sir.

Advertisement