Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake lever problem

Options
  • 18-09-2007 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭

I've noticed what seems to be a small problem with my front brake lever. The little metal collar at the top end of the cable which is normally attached right onto the lever seems to have loosened and/or broken off.

See the gap between the metal collar and the brake lever itself highlighted by the red arrow in the attached picture.

I don't think this is affecting my braking power. It seems to affect the return of the brake lever to the original position after braking, as far as I can make out.

Any ideas what is required to get this sorted? I can do some basic maintenance myself, but I was never good with cables to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭banaco73

Hi

you need to take the cable out and regrease if it was mine i would replace the cable somethink is catching somewhere in between the leaver and the break should also think of replacing the cable housing then it will be as good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

agreed, all but the top cables stretch with use - you probably haven't noticed decreasing braking power as this is a gradual problem rather a 'snap'.

Greasing will see it return fully. Very easy to do. Just loosed the cable at the brake with your allen key. Leave it attached to the brake. Slide cable cover off. Spray oil down (grand for short term / frequent repetition) or slightly thicker lube if available (will clog up more with ****e, but better performance IMO). Run cable back through cover.

Hold brakes in preferred relaxed stance, tighten allen key. Make sure brake is making even contact with rim on braking (if you're in the advanced class you want the front of the pad making contact before the rear - but that's adjusted elsewhere).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Wheelworx

You might have a kink somewhere in the cable that is causing it not to return, if you do try to straighten it, otherwise see Uberwolf's post for how to grease a sticky cable.
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jaycummins

why dont you just twist the little metal thin on the leave anticlockwise, moviing it closer to the end of the cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks for the guidance guys, I'll try to grease it up over the weekend. Much appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement