Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

don't tell mom you're an atheist

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Brilliant!

NOTHING for Christmas! NOW do you believe in God??!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Poor kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

To be fair, I can almost understand the mother's reaction. To her (I speculate), the existence of God is something of a given. When her son says, "I don't believe in God", she's not going to think, "OK, I accept that you have logically come to a different conclusion than me", because there is no way - in her mind - to logically reach that conclusion. She probably thinks her son's actions are simply a form of rebellion intended to offend her and to offend God. It's analogous to saying "I don't believe you, as my parents, have any right to authority over me". There might well be a philosophical argument to support the position, but no one's going to accept it because the opposite view is so entrenched as the norm.

This, I think, is the religion's strongest defence against logic and reason. So, basically, I agree with Zillah - poor kid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Whatever the kid believes or doesn't believe in thats no way to parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Geeze,what bitch.

Well thats what you get for over doing yet another thing in the states.

Lol,any of you watch this one either,SOme one poking fun at the typical American Christian

http://www.glumbert.com/media/atheistdelusion

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If only he had told her it was a pagan holiday.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

pfft, pagan holiday? every day will be a religious holiday when the atheist revolution is complete!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Seloth wrote:
    Man, I'd smack that stupid SOB is he talked to me "it says so in a book written so it must be true". Oh, and I'd tell him that the "deluded one" is the one hearing voices...:D The comments are great.

the_syco wrote:
    Man, I'd smack that stupid SOB is he talked to me "it says so in a book written so it must be true". Oh, and I'd tell him that the "deluded one" is the one hearing voices...:D The comments are great.

Its satire dude...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Zillah wrote:
    Its satire dude...
    Even the diagrams they use are to highlight the circular reasoning!

• Advertisement

Yeah I thought that was a beautiful touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭irish_boy90

lol funny second vid, since when did god write the bible himself?

Advertisement