Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split my BB connection

Options
  • 18-09-2007 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just looking for some advice my own technological knowledge is quite limited.
    I have Eircom BB connection. Up until now I have it connected to a wireless modem that transmits around the house to my lapop. I still have the original modem that Eircomm supplied and I have this connected to my XBOX 360 for online gaming.

At the moment I am swapping the input cable (purple) from one modem to another when I want to use either of them.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it possible to use both at the same time. My wife would like to use the internet while I am on the 360. The internet connection is only used for basic browsing so nothing too heavy.

2. What do I need to buy in order to use both at the sam time (some sort of splitter and an extra cable I presume)

Thanks for any advice,

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

muletide wrote:
    Hi,

Just looking for some advice my own technological knowledge is quite limited.
    I have Eircom BB connection. Up until now I have it connected to a wireless modem that transmits around the house to my lapop. I still have the original modem that Eircomm supplied and I have this connected to my XBOX 360 for online gaming.

At the moment I am swapping the input cable (purple) from one modem to another when I want to use either of them.

What I want to know is:

1. Is it possible to use both at the same time. My wife would like to use the internet while I am on the 360. The internet connection is only used for basic browsing so nothing too heavy.

2. What do I need to buy in order to use both at the sam time (some sort of splitter and an extra cable I presume)

Thanks for any advice,

You cant use two modems on the same phone line at the same time.

I am no expert on the xbox but I presume this is the gadget that you need to connect your xbox wirelessly to wireless router and your wife and yourself can live happily ever after:)

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/hardware/x/xbox360wirelessnetadapter/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks for that Dub 45,

But I am looking to run the two modems (wireless and the eircom one) of the one line as opposed to running the two devices of the one wireless modem. I am sure there is a cable or a splitter I can get. Any one know ?

muletide wrote:
    Thanks for that Dub 45,

But I am looking to run the two modems (wireless and the eircom one) of the one line as opposed to running the two devices of the one wireless modem. I am sure there is a cable or a splitter I can get. Any one know ?

Can't be done simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Whoa. whoa, whoa boy. Let's simplify this thing. If I understand you, you just want to run more than one device [computer, XBow etc] on the one internet connection at the same time.

Just get one of these or these or something similar, depending on how many devices you want connected to the internet.

Connect your router/modem to one port of the switch [the cable that is currently connecting your router to computer, have it connect the router to switch]. Then plug in the rest of your devices to the switch. Be it computer, XBox, Wireless Access Point etc. There shouldn't even be any configuration needed once each device is set to DHCP. I'd advise using a Static internal IP for any wireless access point.]

Sorted.

*EDIT* Re read your OP. How many LAN ports does your eircom and wireless router have each? If it's just one, then you still might need a switch. You can disable DHCP server, NAT, Firewall etc on the wireless router and just use it as a wireless access point. If either of these routers has more than one LAN port, then you can then just plug one router into the other and aother devices into the other LAN ports.

Post the model codes of both routers and we can look into it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Muletide, can you give us the make/model of both the Eircom modem and the wireless one?

Surely the wireless is a router that you should be able to have connected to the Eircom modem which should be able to perform both the wireless and wired access.

But if we have the make & model of both devices then we can confirm

• Advertisement

In recommending the wireless add on for the xbox I assumed that you wanted to be in different rooms when using the laptop and the xbox given that you plug in the modems as you want them noq and they are presumably in seperate rooms.

AFAIK the standard Eircom wireless modem has several ethernet slots. So as it stands you dont need to add anything if you can operate in the same room or else use the XBox in the same room as the Eircom wireless router (connecting by cable) and use the laptop wirelessly anywhere in the house thats covered - that way you dont need to add anything..........?

Thanks for all the replies folks, I appreciate the advice.

I will get exact model numbers for ye when I get home.

Just to clarify.

I have a wireless modem(NetGear) which transmits to the laptop.

I have a normal netopia modem (came from EIRCOM) which I leave permanently attached to the XBOX. When I want to switch from the laptop to the XBOX I pull the input wire out of the wireless modem and drag it across two rooms to put it into the netopia modem for the XBOX. and vice versa.

I would like to maintain the wirelessness (is that a word) of the laptop as my wife likes to use it in the living room. And at the same time I would like to be able to use the XBOX in another room.

I dont really want to spend €60 on a wireless connector for the xbox, but if that is the only solution would I be able to run two devices off the wireless modem at the same time.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭leex

You could get a new modem/router to replace the Netopia. New one should have upto 4 ethernet ports. Linksys, Netgear etc do them.

e.g. http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500000801&langId=-1&searchTerms=6753894+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Get a new Wirless Router/Modem to replace the two of them.

Get a new Wirless Router/Modem to replace the two of them.

The wireless modem I have is only three months old and I think it has a number of ports.

But then I would have to buy a wireless adaptor to fit into the xbox and thats another 60€ I would prefer not to spend.

Thanks anyway Demon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

muletide wrote:
    would I be able to run two devices off the wireless modem at the same time.

Yes

Advertisement