Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts/Media Studies

• 18-09-2007 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

Okay, I have a question...
    I'm hoping to do something media related (tv, radio) next year...hopefully in Maynooth...I know that I won't get the 445 (give or take some) for Media Studies, but if I do Arts, does that mean I will be any way eligible for it?!
    A confused 6th year!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

As far as I know, no you cannot.

People who are doing the Media Studies degree can pick subjects from Arts, two I think, but people doing normal Arts cannot choose to do Media Studies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭peachesxcream

Holsten wrote:
    As far as I know, no you cannot.

People who are doing the Media Studies degree can pick subjects from Arts, two I think, but people doing normal Arts cannot choose to do Media Studies.
    Aaah okay...thanks :)
    But like the year after is it possible to apply? I'm just really confused about all of this, Im really sorry! :( :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭coxy14

Actually if you get a place on the arts course in maynooth you can do media studies! If you talk to the media studies department about it they will put you on a waiting list for the course. Then should anyone who started media decide that it's not for them and drop out the vacant places will be filled by the people on the list. It's a big gamble though as there's often a lot of people looking to get into the course and only 2 or 3 people drop out during the first few weeks. Maybe you could consider the multimedia course in maynooth, it's more technology based and seems to be kind of sciencey (yes that is a proper word!) but last years points were 360 and you still learn about camera techniques and editing etc.
    My advice, don't write yourself off yet you've got a whole year to work for want you want:)

coxy14 wrote:
    Actually if you get a place on the arts course in maynooth you can do media studies! If you talk to the media studies department about it they will put you on a waiting list for the course. Then should anyone who started media decide that it's not for them and drop out the vacant places will be filled by the people on the list. It's a big gamble though as there's often a lot of people looking to get into the course and only 2 or 3 people drop out during the first few weeks. Maybe you could consider the multimedia course in maynooth, it's more technology based and seems to be kind of sciencey (yes that is a proper word!) but last years points were 360 and you still learn about camera techniques and editing etc.
    My advice, don't write yourself off yet you've got a whole year to work for want you want:)
    Oh, thanks a million! :) I was looking at the media studies course, but it doesn't really seem as intersting, but I was definitely considering arts! Once again, thanks a mil :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tyranis

hey!! im a first year media student in maynooth!! you can get into the course throught arts on the waiting list as mentioned but if you dont get that and you really want to do the course if you do well in first year arts and you talk to the media department you can sometimes get into the media course the year after...i know its longer but if its what you really want to do then its worth it i suppose!! you should also look at the courses in ballyfermot theyre really good!! the multimedia course here is good too but very computers and maths based! depends on what your into and what you want to do!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Tula

Come and do Multimedia its a blast! :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Hope you realise the course in Maynooth is very much theory based, and you don´t come out an expert in anything, just with a basic (and I mean basic) knowledge in radio/tv production and radio/video editing. I finsihed this year and NEVER heard one person in my class say a good thing about the course. Oh, except that it´s seemingly impossible to fail anything. So if you want to get drunk, not study or attend lectures and still pass. GO for it!
    Also you can do all the practical side of the course in one year as a postgrad if you finish arts.

If you want technical and theory course you´d be better off doing multimedia. Media is for those who just want to talk about things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 broadwaybaby

You probably won't get in through arts . The course is quite good and much better than anything being offered by an IT because you will have a level 8 degree and if you pick a good second subject e.g History , Economics , English you will have more areas open to you such as tv researcher , journalist etc..

Im so confused...:(
    Shnould I put both on my CAO? I'm dying to do Media Studies but know for a fact I'll be short of points! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭qwertyface

theres absolutely NO reason whatsoever to not put it down! It won't do any harm if you don't get it, and if you get the points and it's not there then imagine how bad you'd feel! You never know how you're gonna do (i got about 70 points more than I expected!!) I know a girl who thought she wouldn't get the points for her course, took it off her cao, then got more than enough!! Serves her right really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 broadwaybaby

If you want it that bad. Study , study , study and get the points.

Advertisement