Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying 'non-brand' graphics card

Options
  • 18-09-2007 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

As will be obvious from the post in no time, I'm not very familiar with the newest graphics cards etc.
    However i'm looking for something a bit faster than the bog standard ati x300?550? that my Dell came with.
    Basically, I want to get something that will run newer games etc MOH Airborne, HL2:Episode2, etc.

I've had a look around, and note that Dabs.ie are selling this card for cheap (EUR57).

My question is, has anybody got any advice on buying a non-brand card like this? Am I running into problems before I even install it?

Cheers

Des

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's not a 'non brand' as such, its a cheaper brand like Inno3D or one of those which they sell as Dabs Value. As far as quality goes, it will be fine, don't worry.

The X1650Pro is a quite basic however it is far, far better then the X300 or 550 and that is a good price too.

If you want to play Airborne however the X1650Pro really won't cut it. If you really want to play Airborne, this is the minimum I'd opt for to play the game at reasonable settings. You get what you pay for!

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4N0Q&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=x1950&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

HavoK wrote:
    That's not a 'non brand' as such, its a cheaper brand like Inno3D or one of those which they sell as Dabs Value. As far as quality goes, it will be fine, don't worry.

The X1650Pro is a quite basic however it is far, far better then the X300 or 550 and that is a good price too.

If you want to play Airborne however the X1650Pro really won't cut it. If you really want to play Airborne, this is the minimum I'd opt for to play the game at reasonable settings. You get what you pay for!

http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=4N0Q&SearchType=1&SearchTerms=x1950&PageMode=3&SearchKey=All&SearchMode=All&NavigationKey=0

Uurgh!:(
    Maybe I'll be waiting a month or two to get the game so!

Thanks for the info HavoK, at least you've saved me spending 60 quid on something that won't do the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The X1650Pro would play Airborne, just at lower settings, I was just making the recommendation on the basis that you'd want to run the game at reasonable looking settings, but everyones different...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

HavoK wrote:
    The X1650Pro would play Airborne, just at lower settings, I was just making the recommendation on the basis that you'd want to run the game at reasonable looking settings, but everyones different...:)

No, you're right I guess. There's no point in buying the 1650 if it's only barely able to handle new release games now. I'll have the PC for another year or two without making any more major mods to it, so I might as well spend the extra few bob on a card that will last the distance.
    Just not this month!!!

Advertisement