Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Coverter - US Appliance

Options
  • 18-09-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a US appliance (Voltage: 120VAC/60Hz, Power Rated: 20W).

Can I simply buy an irish power adapter and use it here or will the thing burn up if I use it over here?

Thanks

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

My advice would be to get a voltage converter. Should probably cost you about €40.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Maplins in Jervis Street will have these for around €40 as fletch suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Kenpo wrote:
    Hi,

I have a US appliance (Voltage: 120VAC/60Hz, Power Rated: 20W).

Can I simply buy an irish power adapter and use it here or will the thing burn up if I use it over here?

Thanks

K
    Maplins does indeed have several power converters - they often have the lower end one (45w) on sale - I think it's usually around €20 when not. Otherwise Peats nearby there should have one.

Since Irish voltage is 230V/50Hz (don't mind the Hz unless it's a clock), you'd be feeding in twice the electric current it wants into it = burn-out!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

I have a similar situation - a digital picture frame. My dau forgot about the voltage diff.

The AC adapter on it says:
    Input: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz,0.15A MAX.
    Output: 5.0V---1.0A
    Does the 240V part mean I can use a simple plug converter and use the one that came with it? I don't want to blow up the adapter or the picture frame. :eek:

I have a serious power converter, but as it is heavy, clunky, unattractive, it isn't really suitable for the sitting room, and it is in use elsewhere for other imports.

Surely there are small adapters similar to mobile phone chargers etc that are suitable for use here that would convert 240 to the designated desired output?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Ban

I have a similar situation - a digital picture frame. My dau forgot about the voltage diff.

The AC adapter on it says:
    Input: AC 100-240V 50-60Hz,0.15A MAX.
    Output: 5.0V---1.0A
    Does the 240V part mean I can use a simple plug converter and use the one that came with it? I don't want to blow up the adapter or the picture frame. :eek:
    Just saw your posting - yes, you'll be fine with a simple plug adapter - As it's well under 1A, you can use a shaver adapter (the 2pin-3pin adapters - cost around €2.50). The 100-240V means that the adapter works out what voltage you're using by itself. Most of the light mobile phone chargers are of this variety.

• Advertisement

byrnefm wrote: »
    Maplins does indeed have several power converters - they often have the lower end one (45w) on sale - I think it's usually around €20 when not. Otherwise Peats nearby there should have one.

Since Irish voltage is 230V/50Hz (don't mind the Hz unless it's a clock), you'd be feeding in twice the electric current it wants into it = burn-out!
    To quote myself ;) I see Maplins has a sale on at the moment for the 100W converters - it says £9.99stg, so it would be about €16 or €17 in the Maplins store in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭VeeEmmy

Thanks very much, Byrnefm! That is excellent.

I'm only just now checking back after a good few days. I appreciate the info!

Ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red Devil

Not sure if it is the correct place to post, but I got a KitchenAid blender from the US and am worried about the frequency when using a transformer.

It is 120v, 6.0 Amp and 60 hz. As we have 60 hz i suspect the cycles will be off. Is there anything I can do?

Advertisement