Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roadworks Road-Rage

• 18-09-2007 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

:mad: People keep totally ignoring the traffic lights on the N56 roadworks. It's drivin me nuts and I swear one of these days I'm gonna drive on when my light is green and block the whole road!! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

I mean why do they do it, I feel such a fool sitting waiting to move when the light's green and there's still a dozen or so cars comin towards me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I've been caught there as well. A couple of years ago when Lifford Bridge was one lane, the same thing kept happening only on a larger scale. I did what you suggested when the light went green one day. :D Oh Jaysus did I cause a lot of hassle.:D
    Anyway, jumping the lights eventually got so bad that the Gardai were on one side and the PSNI on the other for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Roadworks road rage, existed long before the combustion engine,or horse's and traps, which is why the Roman's started building proper roads.

However it remains a human problem, that still manifests itself on the best superhighways ;) . So much for human nature: Eh.

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Those lights were not set correctly for a while
    Even if the light was green on your side it was red by the time you got through
    So not all to do with drivers breaking the lights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

When Dreenan Bridge was closed again at the end of August I thought it was just designed to maximize disruption in time for the re-opening of the schools. But the council were only toying with us. When we thought that was the worst they could throw at us, this week, every street, and I mean EVERY street, in Ballybofey and Stranorlar has been dug up simultaneously.

You have been warned....

Dreenan Bridge?

Yep, Ballybofey and Stranorlar are disasters at the moment. The new bridge seems to have a bit done to it at this time ever year. Why the f**k can't they do it once and do it right?

• Advertisement

Cheers Smashey, Dreenan bridge I meant to say. Still can't get used to calling it anything other than the Iron Bridge:o

Just came through Twin Towns now and road works seem to be gone again, for now at least.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

What's the story with the damn bypass?

Will it ever come to life? If not, maybe sort out the crap road between the town and Barnesmore Gap. Perhaps even a slow lane up McGrory's brae!

byte wrote:
    What's the story with the damn bypass?

Will it ever come to life? If not, maybe sort out the crap road between the town and Barnesmore Gap. Perhaps even a slow lane up McGrory's brae!
    That would be the by-pass that was supposed to be completed before the new Lifford - Letterkenny road which in turn was supposed to be completed in 2007.:D
    McGrory's brae is a slow lane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Its back to the old tune of the money becoming available at the wrong time of the year and then the work being badly completed due to bad weather.

As for the BY Pass. Had local speculators not cranked up the market and priced the thing beyond belief they'd have had some chance of starting. The law should be changed to thwart this type of thing and compulsory selling orders tightened up.

The Dreenan bridge itself I believe was an example of how expensive locals made the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Listen lads. This is going off topic. We are discussing road rage here and not the reasons why roads/bridges are not built or the cost.

Can we get this back on topic please and of course I would be delighted to see a new thread about the by-pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

hi-fi wrote:
    :mad: People keep totally ignoring the traffic lights on the N56 roadworks. It's drivin me nuts and I swear one of these days I'm gonna drive on when my light is green and block the whole road!! GRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr

I mean why do they do it, I feel such a fool sitting waiting to move when the light's green and there's still a dozen or so cars comin towards me.

pardon my ignorance, but is this the road that goes between Creeslough and Letterkenny? NEar to Milford? I'm a dub going out with a Donegal woman :o I saw about six cars at a time breaking the red at the bit I'm talking about.

tbh wrote:
    pardon my ignorance, but is this the road that goes between Creeslough and Letterkenny? NEar to Milford? I'm a dub going out with a Donegal woman :o I saw about six cars at a time breaking the red at the bit I'm talking about.
    The Creeslough - Letterkenny road is the N56 but Milford is slightly off in a different direction > Letterkenny > Ramelton > Milford

Im surprised that there was only 6 cars breaking the red light ;)

Edit: You can of course go off from the N56 to Milford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

muffler wrote:
    The Creeslough - Letterkenny road is the N56 but Milford is slightly off in a different direction > Letterkenny > Ramelton > Milford

Im surprised that there was only 6 cars breaking the red light ;)

Edit: You can of course go off from the N56 to Milford

yeah - it's the place I was thinking about alright. It's a bit of a pain at the mo, but I was wondering what the advantage to building the road there would be? I'm hardly a regular, and maybe it's busy during the week, but I've never been held up on that road really... Mind you, I know how her family would react if I started commenting on how they spend the money up there ;)

Its a thorny issue alright - The N56. I think works started maybe about 10 years ago and its still ongoing. The roadworks all get done at this time of year - never in Spring or Summer. Its something to the with the allocation the Council get from the DOE and the dont spend it till near the end of the year.

As regards to how the money is spent, well thats an even thornier issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

yeah it an archaic system they have, they get money allocated each year for work needed, but if they dont use it it wont be allocated again next year.
    but they dont spend it at the start of the year in case there is an emergence (???) that requires that money.
    So towards the end of the year they panic that they haven't spend the money (which they wont get again) and start all they road works together, just in time for all the retailer to complain that it will affect their xmas shopping trade.

Thats my reasoning behind it, i welcome corrections.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

OceanFM has a article about how the N56 isn't completed because the County Council doesn't have enough engineers:

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/donegalnews.php?articleid=000001907

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 hi-fi

They've nearly finished now-no more traffic lights for me:) BUT.....There's no right turn for our exit on to this new road, so if we want to go into Letterkenny we've to drive one and a half Km on a wee back road to get on to the N56!

bettlebrox wrote: »
    OceanFM has a article about how the N56 isn't completed because the County Council doesn't have enough engineers:

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/donegalnews.php?articleid=000001907

It's not easy to find Engineers of the standard employed by Donegal Co Council. Fortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

it drives me up the wall

• Advertisement
Advertisement