Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom phone line.

Options
  • 18-09-2007 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Right this is the score.

i currently have eircom broadband 2 mbs package. i wanted to upgrade to there 3 mbs home professional package. originally told it will take 2 days to come into effect. however after (4 weeks later) i finally got an answer from tech support telling me that my line couldnt handle any more than 512kbs (what eircom guy said) i was a bit puzzled as i was already on a 2mbs package gettin full whack of it so he didnt have a clue and transferred me to another operator who in turn did serveral line checks with me and told me tat it was not worth gettin the 3 mbs package coz it wouldnt give near enough to 3mbs on the line. he said der was interference somewere along the line. (possibly in the road or garden) just wondering is der anything i can do about this. (e.g. ring eircom and ask for a phone line repair of some sort) just wondering coz im sick of 2 mbs package i have tried every other provider with no success.

any help appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Any possibility of proper English, spelling, captials and punctuation? That way more people will read your post and offer suggestions.

Why are you sick of the 2Mb package?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Even if it was an actual problem with the line and not just because your too far from the exchange for your line to handle 3meg there is no chance Eircom would do anything about it just because your "sick of 2mbs". Spare a thought for the many thousands of people who can't even get basic entry level broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The one thing that eircom can do feck-all about is external interference. That is, *if* external interference is the problem. I take it you've gone through the whole disconnect all equipment and use modem at master socket routine.

The only way around it that I can see is to get Smart Telecom if available in your area. or get Digiweb Metro or Irish Broadband Breeze (both wireless and of generally decent service)

If you get a certain BT business package, you might be able to get better speeds with that.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Unablecorpse

Thanks for the replies lads.

Ye tired that whole plug modem into main socket things no differnce.

I applied for smart telecom about 1 week ago and the girl rang me yesterday
    asking me to cancel my eircom line so she can switch me over to smarts exchange.

At the moment i am a bit apprehensive because i solely want broadband for gaming (host games) as i am on a very top team and it would benefit us.

The thing is if i switch over to smart and go with them but they cant upgrade me to there top package (7mbs) then theres no real point in switching.

So i'm lost what to do. :confused:

Thanks for the replies lads.

Ye tired that whole plug modem into main socket things no differnce.

I applied for smart telecom about 1 week ago and the girl rang me yesterday
    asking me to cancel my eircom line so she can switch me over to smarts exchange.

At the moment i am a bit apprehensive because i solely want broadband for gaming (host games) as i am on a very top team and it would benefit us.

The thing is if i switch over to smart and go with them but they cant upgrade me to there top package (7mbs) then theres no real point in switching.

So i'm lost what to do. :confused:

What are your line stats? They should be on the main page of the Eircom router in the form xx/yy.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

Smart should be very careful about how they go about allowing people to order the top product and should be making sure that the line stats of the potential customer indicate that the line will be capable of the speed.

• Advertisement

Is this what your talking about dub ?

Speed
    2048/256 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation
    60/31 dB

Or this here dub ?

Downstream / Upstream

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 / 256
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 / 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.00 / 31.50
    CRC Errors 43531 /877

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

What game do you play?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats not a great line I am afraid. The 60db number (and the crc errors) indicate that its at best a 2mbit line with adsl2+ which is what Smart offer.

If you live within 2 or max 3 miles of an exchange it may be that ordering a completely new line and hoping its properly wired by eircom is the way to go.

If you live over 3 miles the oul laws of physics are against you.

If you live closer than 2 miles there is something wrong with that line from those stats but getting eircom to fix it requires contacts in eircom, otherwise you are pissing in the wind trying to get that shower to do anything .

Therefore its sometimes easier to order a new line and ditch the old one when its up and running with Smart.

Or this here dub ?

Downstream / Upstream

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 / 256
    SN Margin (dB) 12.00 / 14.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 60.00 / 31.50
    CRC Errors 43531 /877

That's them ok - now have a read of the stuff I posted the links to up above and you will see the problems facing you.

I am with Smart and my stats are only slightly better than you (Attenuation usually 55 - 58 but my SN varies alarmingly I am on a 'remedial' profile which gives me a fairly steady 3Mb)

• Advertisement
Advertisement