Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X1950 Pro

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It is better than the 8600gts and will work with a 400 watt power supply.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Is DirectX 10 very important?

I'm planning on upgrading the crap 7300LE card in my Dimension E520, and from what I can gather, I'm limited to between the 8600GTS and X1950PRO, due to poor PSU and lack of space for the bigger cards.

So, like Spunge, I'm deliberating between both, as 8600GTS has DX10 compatibility, but some replies in here say the x1950 is better.

I'm running Vista Business if that makes a difference, and I'm upgrading primarily for PES2008.

Advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.I dont know what PES 2008 is running off of, but I would be very doubtfull off an 8600gts running any gmes in DX10 anyway so you may as well get the x1950pro as it is a better performer in DX9

byte

OK. Been looking through Dell forums, and some suggest the GF 7950GT. Seems to be slightly better than the X1950Pro (both are better than the 8600GTS).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

The thing is Nvidia have stopped driver optimisation for the 7950gt so if the x1950 pro has not already surpassed it , it may do in the future. Also you cannot buy 7950gt's in the chop anymore as far as i am aware.

• Advertisement
    byte

The thing is Nvidia have stopped driver optimisation for the 7950gt so if the x1950 pro has not already surpassed it , it may do in the future. Also you cannot buy 7950gt's in the chop anymore as far as i am aware.
    Aye, I can't find it in any online shops. I've bidded for one on eBay. But if I lose that auction, I'll just get the X1950Pro.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Are any of the cards mentioned here quiet?
    I currently have an ATI X1300 in my E520 and I'd like to upgrade it to something with a bit more umph but don't want something that sounds like a jet engine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You can get passively cooled 8600GT's and X1950Pro's. So not just quiet, completely soundless. :)

You can get an X1950GT on hardwareversand.de for 100 euro too, almost as good as an X1950Pro and you're saving 20 quid.

The 8600GTS is getting better though and is particularly strong at newer games so it'd be worth thinking about as well if you found for for particularly cheap.

Advertisement