Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scaredy cat - need tips

Options
  • 19-09-2007 3:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

One of my cats is scared of my dogs even though they don't bother him. He is also bottom of the heap among my four cats. As a result he hates to be in the house.

Every year at this time I have a major struggle to try to get him to come in out of the cold at night. He quickly learns to avoid me and even if I can get him in he is stressed out and escapes asap.

I've provided him with a kennel and theres a shed but he doesn't use them. I have no idea where he is sheltering on cold nights. I really worry when the nights are freezing. He is about five years old now and it's even more difficult this year. He stratched me badly the last time I tried to bring him indoors although he is usually a gentle cat. Any ideas?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Why not leave him him out? He's an animal.

My cat sometimes stays out overnight. My main concern is that se'll come back in the dead of night and wake me up to get back in. Now that I have earplugs I don't even worry about that anymore.

I doubt the dog thing will change. Don't sweat it, at least the dog's onside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Probably found a nice quiet spot somewhere to sleep, or someones house.;)

But I can only say one thing, cat flap. Stick a cat flap on your back door and the cat will know that he has a escape route from the dogs and other cats. He defo should feel better inside and although he still might avoid the house during the day he should, in time, come inside when things in the house have quieted down and get a warm kip.

Did you provide a bed for the cat in your shed? The cat won't use the dog kennel if its left at ground level, try raising it, cats do love their elevated positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

The fact your cat is afraid of dogs isnt going to change now, especially if its 5 yrs old by now- something must have happened him earlier, possibly when he was a kitten. Cats have an innate sense of fear when it comes to dogs anyways.
    The fact he seems bottom of the pecking order in your home is probably because he is, he seems to be a bit nervous overall by your account. This is just his personality and nothing to worry about. Cats are very dominant animals and one will always try and dominate all the rest.
    You needn't worry about your cat staying out all night, although its cold in the winter the cat will most definitely have found somewhere nice and warm to shelter- cats are alot cleverer than we give them credit for- they like their comfort ! If you want to get a cat flap there are new ones- you get a collar for your cat and it has a signal on it that only opens the flap when this signal is transmitted to the door. They're great.
    If it stresses your cat so much so that he scratches you when he wouldnt normally, then that should be signal enough that he doesnt want to come in and you should respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭moneyblues

The idea of raising up the dog kennel is a good one -thanks I'll try it.

There is already a catflap which the other pets use but he won't. I know there's little sense in worrying about him as he is healthy and well fed - I guess I'm just projecting my own abhorence of being cold onto this cat. :D On the other hand when people say to me (as some do on occasion) that dogs are well able to sleep outside because they have fur coats I generally reply "how would you fancy sleeping in the shed wearing a fur coat in January"!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 HunterS

Plus cats prefer higher temperatures than humans, which makes that january sleep in the shed with a fur coat that bit more uncomfortable. although I had a cat sleep in a modified rabbit hutch for 2 years and he seems happy enough, untill he learned of central heating. But a blanket in a dog house is better than under a bush somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement