Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oblivion (split from PS3 RPG thread)

Options
  • 18-09-2007 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Oblivion: Possibly the best RPG ever made. 100+ hours of gameplay and you can do whatever you want in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Oblivion is one of the most awful games I've ever played.

Folksoul has been well received in Japan, and it is soon to be released as Folklore over in Ireland. You'll have to stomach some extremely ropey 'oirish' accents though.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Oblivion is one of the most awful games I've ever played.

Wow. You must have only ever played three or four games then.

As for RPGs, your best best is to pick up some of the PS2's better games - Dragon Quest, Rogue Galaxy, FFXII, Shin Megami Tensai and wait for the likes of FFXIII or Eternal Sonata. Folklore is pretty average by all accounts.

Wow. You must have only ever played three or four games then.

Nope, my tastes just aren't attuned to bland, uninspiring, clichéed, under-designed games. But that's an argument for a whole different thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Nope, my tastes just aren't attuned to bland, uninspiring, clichéed, under-designed games. But that's an argument for a whole different thread!

Cliched games??? What was cliched about Oblivion? You were given a massive free roaming world and left to do whatever you wanted to. The combat system was one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG, and the only real limit to your enjoyment was how well you could use your imagination.

Cliched games??? What was cliched about Oblivion? You were given a massive free roaming world and left to do whatever you wanted to. The combat system was one of the best I've ever seen in an RPG, and the only real limit to your enjoyment was how well you could use your imagination.

What wasn't clichéed about Oblivion? It was the most humdrum, run-of-the-mill fantasy setting that could have been lifted from any one of hundreds of similarly creatively bankrupt books or games. The game is technically impressive, but the massive free-roaming world is wasted when it's setting is so unimaginative and its population so banal.

The real limit to your enjoyment isn't how well you could use your imagination - it's how well you can cope with the fact that the developers didnt use their imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

I thought I was the only person who thought that!

For me, the best thing about Oblivion, is the use of it's engine for Fallout 3.

(Albeit by the same developers)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really hate the boring Tolkien lite settings of western RPGs like seen in Elder Scrolls games and Gothic and the like. The warcraft one is the only one that interested me because it injected it with some humour and had decent games wrapped around it. Say all you want about Japanese RPGs being linear, at least they create imaginative and interesting universes for their games.

Advertisement