Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

roaming profiles

• 19-09-2007 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

how would i set up roaming profiles at home?

what os's do i need and how complicated is it?

I have 2 pcs and 2 laptops, it'd be so cool if all your stuff was on what ever pc you logged on too, and be great if i had to rebuid one of them, to just format, reinstall, then logon and its like i never left

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Urgh.

You can do it with XP Pro & Home afaik. However the second part of your post isn't quite so simple. If you rebuild a machine, you'd still need to reinstall all of your apps, set up all of your users, and reconfigure the roaming profiles again.

Setting up an active directory domain would (almost) allow you the automation you're looking for. You just rebuild the machine, log in as Admin, add it to the domain and then every setting is applied, every configured application is installed and you can log in as any user on the domain, using their roaming profile. Of course a domain requires Win2k Server or Win2k3 Server.

You can also mimic this behaviour to a degree with a Lunix server and Samba, but you won't have active directory. So you can get roaming profiles and users who can log on anywhere, but you don't get to set group policy or install apps.

I think in order for this work, you will need a server of some sort at a minimum. This holds the "master copy" of the profile, which is synced every time the user logs on or off a machine. Theoretically you could designate one of the PCs to hold the master copy, but then the PC needs to be switched on in order to copy/sync the profiles.

Advertisement