Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Keys for existing window locks ???

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

handleLock-Wedgeless-copy.jpg

Hi Folks,

I have about 15 window locks like the above fitted on my [standard white PVC] windows throughout the house. Some have locks and some don't [50/50] in no particular pattern :confused:

- The main problem I have is that I don't have a single key, never thought of it when moving into the house.........

Anyway I want to shuffle things a bit so that all of the upstairs windows have a lock and key to avoid the risk of adventurous children accidentally falling.

So the question is how do I go about sourcing these ? Any pointers would be appreciated & I know I could ring around, but I have a feeling that they'll just try and flog me new locks and keys etc. for the easy life [may be req'd anyhow for all I know.....?]

Thanks !

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Raise

Try you local key cutter or locksmith I also did see some window lock keys on ebay (you just had to specify what you need)

http://cgi.ebay.ie/PVC-WINDOW-LOCK-KEYS-ALREADY-CUT-MORE-AVAILABLE_W0QQitemZ160156251017QQihZ006QQcategoryZ98855QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also be carful when putting locks on upstairs windows as its a fire risk and could block your exit out of the house.

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

garyh3 wrote:
    .....Also be careful when putting locks on upstairs windows as its a fire risk and could block your exit out of the house.....Garyh3

Hi Gary - thanks very much for the reply.

Yeah I suppose its not exactly ideal to be locking windows like that when the fire hazard aspect is considered.

Can anyone recommend a solution/product that might be a bit better ? - Kids kept safe and secure inside and Adults can open the windows as required/in an emergency without having to search [in a blind panic] for a hidden/lost key ?

- I know that some window handles have a push button as a child deterrent - but I think a step up from this may be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I remember seeing a 'key-box' which was just a small plastic box which could be attached to the wall and could contain the key.
    So you could lock the window as normal and prevent any accidents, but keep the box in an accessible place at the top of the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Advertisement