Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Foreign Licence Question

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

I have a full Canadian drivers licence and I'm aware that I can't transfer it directly to an Irish one, but is there any consideration given to the fact that I'm a fully licenced driver during the process of getting an Irish licence? It seems odd that I would be treated as a beginner even though I do have the driving experience...

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Nope.

My sis has a full US licence and had to go through the whole testing thing here....and FAILED her test.

You can drive for up to 12 months on your Canadian licence tho so that gives you plenty of time to apply and get tested here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Helios, are you completely certain you cannot exchange your full Canadian licence for a full Irish? I stand open to correction here, but i have a feeling that nearly all ex-Commonwealth countries can just swap like for like.
    US licence holders must go thru the test loop i know, but it maybe worth a double check

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

OP, Check out this website.

www.citizensinformation.ie

Information
    It is possible to exchange a driving licence issued by an EU or EEA Member State for a full Irish driving licence. Ireland has agreements with all EU/EEA States and recognises full driving licences issued by competent authorities. A full list of these states is outlined below.

Holders of driving licences from other countries
    Ireland also has agreements with certain other countries/States which means that if you are coming to Ireland to take up residence you can exchange your driving licence for a full Irish driving licence and you will not need to do a driving test. A full list of these countries and States is also outlined below.

If you are not from any of the following countries/States but you do hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you can drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit. (A temporary visit is regarded as a period not exceeding 12 months). If you will be resident in Ireland for more than 12 months (and again, are not from any of the following countries/States) , you will need to go through the full driving licencing procedures (see 'How to apply). Since 1 January 2003, you are required to carry your driving licence with you at all times when motoring in Ireland.

Licences from EU/EEA States are recognised, licences from these countries/States are also recognised:

Australia
    Gibraltar
    Isle of Man
    Japan
    Jersey
    South Africa
    South Korea
    Switzerland
    Rules
    If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from Canada, the United States or New Zealand), and you hold a national driving licence or an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

An 'international driving permit' means a valid and property completed international driving permit issued to a visitor under the Convention of 1949 by a competent authority of the State in which you normally reside.

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months and you are not from one of the listed recognised countries/States, you can apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You must first you must complete a driver theory test, apply for a provisional driving licence and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with a full driving licence for use in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Good info there carpediem, i stand corrected :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Dang... well this should get interesting... They'll treat me like a pizza-faced teenager... brilliant...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭carpediem

I know what you are going through Helios; I moved back to Ireland from the US and had a full US driving license for ten years and still had to take a driving test (actually I failed twice before getting a full Irish license) - It is humiliating, frustrating, time-consuming and costly to say the least.

Wishing you all the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

It might be worth finding out if you can exchange a Canadian for a UK, then UK for Irish.

A bit of a rigmarole but it might get you there in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭helios

Hagar wrote:
    It might be worth finding out if you can exchange a Canadian for a UK, then UK for Irish.

A bit of a rigmarole but it might get you there in the end.

Same in the UK... After 12 months, sit a theory test and do a drivers test... :( Does anyone know a certified driving instructor that wants to make a few quid??? :)

Advertisement