Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bark Chippings

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have dug a trench one foot wide between the lawn and the concrete path to stop grass growing onto path and make it easier to cut etc. - in fact it looks better too - it is about 5 or 6 inches deep and about 75 foot long ... I will spray it with weedkiller and put down about 3 inches of bark chippings -but my question is: Do I need to put plastic under the bark .. when I have to spray weedkiller again will it go down through the bark ok?

Also bought mini chippings - did not realise they were so small - but I am stuck with them now. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Despite sounding like the restart of the Battle of the Bulge, I would comment that bark chippings aren't going to keep down every weed and a general tidy-up is required a few times a year to root out the dandelions and grass blades which poke on through. So yes, go with a polythene sheet under your bark and it will prevent the grass from 'coming over the top'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

wont the bark get sucked up into the mower?
    Also I would worry about using a plastic lining, wont that help the bark to rot?

Greebo, The bark chippings have a 'life span' of approx 3 years, as printed on the external packaging anyhow, so it's not a major issue. They will need topping up from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

True, but Id go with a permeable weed barrier anyway, otherwise you kinda hav a plastic bag full of water and bark...Id say it would be fly city pretty soon.

Anyways, I just use my lawn edger every few months and its grand...my handy tip is to water the grass before you edge it..makes it easier.

Ah - OK, good point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭TOm Kelly

OK Got it - the way to go is the permeable which will allow water and weedkillerto seep through.

No problems here with mower sucking up chippings ... I am on the old 'push model' ... I love the rattle out of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, weed barrier cloth. Love those old lawnmowers. Does yours leave the 'lines' on the grass?

Couple of points on tree bark: It stinks for a while after you put it down. The wind can catch the smaller chippings and blow them everywhere. It has a relatively short lifespan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

If you treat the area with a systemic weedkiller like Easyweed/Casoron G, you will not require such a wide band or even require chip bark. This type of herbicide has a number of particular +++ including it kills foliage, root and remains active within 4"/100mm of the surface and prevents any further germination for up to 12 months. Being granular there is no mixing, and is easy to apply, usually between October-April, does not harm any deep rooted established stock like trees/shrubs and best of all can be applied during wet and dry periods.

Perfectly safe for animals/birds etc.

Advertisement