Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

if it was your cash what would u buy?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,
    I getting back into PC gaming in particular i love flight sims.I've got about 1500.00 to 2000.00 to spend.I did order an xps system from dell (756mb g/card etc) looked really nice but unfortunately due to a complete lack in manners & customer services on dells part i've now canceled this order.I've been out of the PC gaming bubble for awhile now & i haven't a clue what system to get.I was thinking of buying from the UK (wired2fire.com) are those companies any good? are their system worth the cash?
    If it was your cash what kind of gaming pc would you go for?
    Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Really it all depends on two things GPU and LCD monitor size.

The bigger the monitor with greater resolution requires more powerful GPU's if you wish to run games at the native resolution of the display.

If your looking for something high end here is a suggestion with the Komplett Intel Gamer system click customize expert options;

Processors - change to Core 2 Duo E6750

Graphics Card change to XFX GeForce 8800GTX 570M

Monitors - change to LG 22" L226WTQ-SF

And that should do it, you can pretty much run anything with max details and AA at the max res of the LCD display.

That said an 8800GTX is probably overkill for your needs so either an 8800GTS 640 or 2900XT should do the job just as well for flight sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Robbie IRE wrote:
    Hi,
    I getting back into PC gaming in particular i love flight sims.I've got about 1500.00 to 2000.00 to spend.I did order an xps system from dell (756mb g/card etc) looked really nice but unfortunately due to a complete lack in manners & customer services on dells part i've now canceled this order.I've been out of the PC gaming bubble for awhile now & i haven't a clue what system to get.I was thinking of buying from the UK (wired2fire.com) are those companies any good? are their system worth the cash?
    If it was your cash what kind of gaming pc would you go for?
    Thank you in advance!

i'd echo what 8T8 said but add a warning that MS made FSX "too" good so even really good graphics and processor combinations won't play the game at any kind of reasonable framerate. you'll still be faced with a 20-30fps prospect. their idea was to make it last longer then the last version...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

Thx for your help guys!
    Right it's time to buy & hide the credit card bill from my girlfriend!I'm getting the following .I like AMD ,is it worth changing to intel.I think it has everything i'll need!Let me know if i should change anything b4 i buy @ €1822.00......My heart is beating fast .I can't wait for this baby to be delivered!

Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control,
    PC box
    SoftThinks Installation software,
    Gigabyte Triton, GZ-XX1CA-SNS Silver
    AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI,
    MSI K9N NEO-F V2, nForce 520, Socket-AM2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Socket AM2
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4,
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 570M 756MB XXX GDDR3
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA2
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S182D, 18x,
    LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-H44NRBB, 18x,
    Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng 32bit
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110,
    LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680x1050,
    JBL Creature II Speakers + Subwoofer
    D-Link DWL-G510 PCI 54Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

Robbie IRE wrote:
    Thx for your help guys!
    Right it's time to buy & hide the credit card bill from my girlfriend!I'm getting the following .I like AMD ,is it worth changing to intel.I think it has everything i'll need!Let me know if i should change anything b4 i buy @ €1822.00......My heart is beating fast .I can't wait for this baby to be delivered!

Norman IC, 1 year license Virus Control,
    PC box
    SoftThinks Installation software,
    Gigabyte Triton, GZ-XX1CA-SNS Silver
    AXP Powersupply ATX 630W Retail SLI,
    MSI K9N NEO-F V2, nForce 520, Socket-AM2
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.3GHz Socket AM2
    Corsair TWIN2X 6400C4 DDR2, 2048MB CL4,
    XFX GeForce 8800GTX 570M 756MB XXX GDDR3
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 500GB SATA2
    Samsung DVD±RW burner, SH-S182D, 18x,
    LG DVD±RW burner, GSA-H44NRBB, 18x,
    Creative SB X-FI Xtreme Gamer
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Eng 32bit
    Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110,
    LG 22" LCD L226WTQ-SF, 1680x1050,
    JBL Creature II Speakers + Subwoofer
    D-Link DWL-G510 PCI 54Mbps

take out the amd cpu first, amd are being slaughtered by intel; performance wise right now.
    change to a high core2duo or the q6600 quad.
    motherboard: most of the p35 boards are good. might want to take a look at the asus p5k-e/wifiAP as it has a build in wireless card so you could forget about the d-link card. its apparently a decent overclocker too if you're into that - except that komplett wont fit an aftermarket cooler for you. you'd only get so far with the stock cooler
    i'd stay away from that ****ty PSU at all costs. personally i'd chose either one of the corsair PSUs, they'd both adequately power your pc and they're regarded as some of the quietest on the market
    i have no experience of that hitachi hdd but i do know the samsung hd501lj is quite fast and quiet

hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

I highly recommend that you go Intel C2D. AMD is old news atm.

If you really insist on going with AMD though, I think you should wait for their new CPU's coming out soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Robbie IRE

once again thx for the info.This really helps.It's a lot of money so I want to make the right choice .if I have to tell my girlfriend a year down the line that she can't get that new sofa because I need to upgrade.....man she'll be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

i've heard the multi core would benefit this game greatly, more so than the gtx apparently as it very processor intensive. ive heard it said on here before so check it out before deciding on a quad core or dual core. either way it has to be intel now.

Advertisement