Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Splits times in marathon

• 19-09-2007 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭

Hoping to compete in the Dublin marathon this in a time of sub 3:20. Never run the marathon before.
    Looking through recent various marathon results (Duiblin, NY,Berlin) the vast majority of runners complete the first half of the marthon quicker than the second i.e. positive / negative splits.
    My oroginal intention was to run approx even splits.
    Appreciate feedback from any previous competitors on your pre race plans to actual happenings on the race day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭billyhead

I will be running New York as my first marathon but I have been informed that you should run your first 5-6 miles about 15-20 seconds slower (be conservative) then your intended goal mile pace. You should leave enough energy in the tank for a strong second half run. The race I have been told many times only begins at mile 20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

you will probably be forced to run the first couple of miles slower than planned because some people will start too far forward and you'll spend ages getting past them!

My fastest marathons have been even splits (within 2 minutes) and many people recommend a negative split (2nd half faster) so that you hold a steady pace for first 20-22 miles and then let go with whatever you have left in the tank.

Most people run a positive split because they tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The elites all run -ive splits and it is considered by them to be the way to run fast times. In reality for us mortals it's usually a different matter. I ran a 3 min -ive split in Dublin last year for teh "perfect" race but I was 5 mins slower than my next outing in Cork this year where a huge hill and undertraining meant I finished running almost 90secs a mile slower than I started but still hit a PB.

Complex race strategies are all well and good but in reality (as HM hints) there are too many variables to attempt to stick rigidly to any one plan. Most of us are just concerned with putting one foot in fron of teh other rather than shifting our pace from 7:30 to 7:20 min miles as we cross teh half way mark! Try and run a consitent pace and you'll be fine.

(and welcome back HM!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

thanks amadeus. you would not believe how busy the last few weeks have been. It's hard work being a housewife!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Thanks folks. Yes I think I'll just concentrate on consistent pace - too many other things to worry about like falling over from exhaustion etc !

• Advertisement
Advertisement