Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any advice on buying a car?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi, just wondering if anybody could give me advice on a car. I want something that will be able to do a return journey from Meath to Galway every weekend and for pottering around in on the weekdays. It'll be my first car, the lower in price the better. I was thinking something around a 1.3L. Looks are not a priority, just want something that isn't going to give me hassle. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Something like a Toyota Corolla sounds like your best bet. Might not be as cheap as other cars to buy, but will be reliable, economical, and bring you from Meath to Galway with some measure of comfort.
    The other option is japanese too - Mazda 323. Same as above, but a bit cheaper to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I would suggest a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - try even for a Ghia but make sure its the 1.25.

Should be reliable and would be a nicer car to sit in on your longer trips and has loads of pep about the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

RobAMerc wrote:
    I would suggest a Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - try even for a Ghia but make sure its the 1.25.

Should be reliable and would be a nicer car to sit in on your longer trips and has loads of pep about the town.

Second that - the missus has one of these - I borrow it fairly often, for the most minor of excuses:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 CapallDubh

Thanks very much. My friend has one of those cars. Not sure she'd appreciate me buying one the exact same as hers! How do I check a car's service history?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mazda 323 or old type Almera, The nissan will have more spec as 1.3 models of 323 are pretty basic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If you're on a buget, I always recommend buying a bigger car especially with a long trip every weekend.

Big cars depreciate way faster than smallies everywhere but particularly in Ireland which is fantastic news if you're after value.

A 1.6 mondeo will be bought for the same price as the fiesta and will have far more luxuries and comfort for th long drive. And despite all the old chestnuts- they're not much more expensive to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Woogie Boogie

i would say toyota too or if your looking for a comfortable car maybe a passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

How old are you - OR - How long are you driving for?
    NCB? Named driving experience?
    Any interests like biking/kayaking - Anything requiring a bit of space in a car? Apart from parking up that is :D
    Are you on a student budget or are you working?

All relevant if you want a sensible buy to be honest....

Gil

Advertisement