Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounting H: drives on laptop

• 19-09-2007 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭

Just wondering is it possible to mount the student h: drive as a network drive on my laptop for use around campus, to save me having to bear that horrible interface? It'd be a lot handier

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

You should be able to install novell on you laptop, then when you login to novell it will mount your h drive.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Yes you can install novell client, but this will only work when plugged into the wired network. Also novell client seems to 'take over' your machine a lot and can get annoying!

There are a thousand ways computing services could allow this be done (likewise with printing and particularly 'fat client' email access) but they stubbornly do not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Aquitaine

you can access your h: thru connect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Aquitaine wrote:
    you can access your h: thru connect
    I like to read posts before I reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Sorry, should have mentioned it's a Macbook so I don't think Novell is an option

• Advertisement

It's an option alright even on the macs, but I'd steer clear of it even on windows. Better solution might be to join netsoc as you've probably more chance of setting that up using SSHFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭OTNiner

Red Alert wrote:
    There are a thousand ways computing services could allow this be done (likewise with printing and particularly 'fat client' email access) but they stubbornly do not.

See

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/desktopsecurity/generalsecurity/email/other.html

replace imap.ucd.ie with studentmail.ucd.ie

yes, but you can't even do that thru the wireless LAN!

Red Alert wrote:
    yes, but you can't even do that thru the wireless LAN!

Would that be the WLAN in Computer Science or the more generic WaveLAN Network one.

The generic wavelan has all ports blocked even to internal services. The only thing you can get to is the proxies and the web servers (like www.ucd.ie and elearning.ucd.ie).

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote:
    The generic wavelan has all ports blocked even to internal services. The only thing you can get to is the proxies and the web servers (like www.ucd.ie and elearning.ucd.ie).

I think if you took the trouble to try it you would find out that pop3, secure pop3, imap, secure imap and smtp are open to the UCD Mail Servers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I like to read posts before I reply
    And i like to not be an asshole:rolleyes:

Advertisement