Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Computing, Griffith College, Part-Time. Any good?

• 19-09-2007 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I am considering doing the MSc in Computing in Griffith College, part-time.

Have any of you done this course?

Is it good?
    Is it hard?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dublindude wrote:
    Have any of you done this course?

Yeah, I did it a few years back.
    dublindude wrote:
    Is it good?

Yes, I certainly enjoyed it.
    dublindude wrote:
    Is it hard?

That's all relative really, isn't it? I got a first-class honours out of it. I didn't find it difficult, but it was a lot of work.

I actually work in another college with a few of the lecturers who lectured me in Griffith and they are good people, know their stuff and are good at their job. As to the standard of staff there now, I don't really know, maybe some current students could update you on that.

Would I recommend it? Absolutely. I found the college great to deal with, nothing was a problem and most of the staff knew their stuff and were very supportive. The guy who runs the course, Tony, is **** hot and runs a good show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Brilliant thanks.

You did it part-time?

My worry is that as both the full-time and part-time courses are only 1 year, the part-time course must be pretty tough.

I am quite academic though (above average student, etc.) but I don't have a lot of free time, so I worry about managing work and study and my part-time business...

Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dublindude wrote:
    You did it part-time?

I did, yes.
    dublindude wrote:
    My worry is that as both the full-time and part-time courses are only 1 year, the part-time course must be pretty tough.

I am quite academic though (above average student, etc.) but I don't have a lot of free time, so I worry about managing work and study and my part-time business...

Well, it's three modules, plus a project that is equivalent to two more, markswise. I did two nights before Christmas and one night a week after Christmas. The project ran from around February to September (including over the Summer), so it's a full calendar year, as opposed to finishing in May.

So it is quite managable. Despite that, I did come close to packing it in on more than one occasion. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Hi Tom

Thanks for the good advice.

I went along to the course induction last night and it seems good. Assuming my work will pay for most of my fees, I'm going to do it.

The structure seems the same -

2 modules before Christmas and 1 + project after Christmas. Definitely seems manageable.

Cheers!

Advertisement