Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Supporters

• 19-09-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭

The soccer writers thread led me to dig up this article, I mean't to put it up at the time but forgot about it. Whether it deserves a thread of its own, maybe, but in light of the Slovakia/Czech matches it might offer something to debate.

Anyway, this is by Henry Winter an English Football Journalist writing in FourFourTwo;
    A fear gripped the more conscientious circles of England football supporters before the March rugby international at Croke Park. Having made great strides in improving their image, fans were alarmed to hear on the terrace grapevine that some of the ``No Surrender'' boys were considering travelling to a stadium irrevocably associated with Republicanism.

The police were alerted, and duly monitored the situation. Fortunately, no trouble-makers joined the egg-chasing fraternity and, on a wonderful sporting occasion, the Irish hosts also showed immense respect for the national anthem. Peace prevailed. Harmony and good humour were the order of the day.

To have caused offence in Dublin, through provocative chants or banners, would have been an affront to all who admire fans as welcoming as the Irish. Abusing Croke Park hospitality would have been akin to pouring diesel in the Trevi Fountain or spraying graffiti on the Sistine Chapel. A sacrilege.

Concerns were raised amongst principled England fans because their less savoury colleagues have previous in Dublin stadia. Memories of the abandoned international at Landsowne Road, Feb 15, 1995, will not disappear easily. Sitting in the press box, tip-tapping out a piece on the pre-planned riot, I was confronted by an England supporter who insisted he was not a hooligan, that the Irish had started it. As he ran off, he rather ruined his argument by kicking a police dog.

Afterwards, when the dust settled, broken bones re-set, and the inquests begun, the Irish kept saying: ``It's only a minority, these things happen, don't be worrying about it, have another whiskey.'' Such graciousness made the feeling of embarrassment even more acute.

As recent tournaments so encouragingly prove, England supporters have changed from the dark days of Landsdowne Road, Marseille and Charleroi, but a few nutters persist. The thought of some using a great event like Ireland-England in the Six Nations to make a political point would have been desperate. Irish people, whether flocking to football, rugby or Cheltenham, are the role models for sports fans. They empty cellars and fill the air with song.

Followers of Northern Ireland were recently voted the best fans in Europe by UEFA and the EU, who hailed the impressive way they have dealt with sectarianism and also their wit and singing. England's humiliation at Windsor Park was partly lessened by a feeling of admiration for Lawrie Sanchez's hugely positive side and supporters.

Everyone has a favourite story about Irish sports fans and mine came in a tiny Japanese bar at the 2002 World Cup. A group of Saudi Arabia followers were sitting in one corner when some Republic fans lurched in, looking for drinking and choral partners.

The Saudis, quietly chatting and sipping soft drinks, did not appear obvious collaboraters. Yet the Irish are to social gatherings what tonic waters are to gin: great mixers. Within minutes, there was one big jamboree of green shirts and white robes - with rounds of "10 Guinness, 10 Cokes''. Peter O'Toole, old Lawrence of Arabia himself, would have loved the merry scene. As I left, I'm sure I heard "The Oil-fields of Athenry''.

The Irish embody what sport should be about: respect for the opposition, sworn foe for 80 or 90 minutes and then race you to the bar. It's about the craic, the companionship, perhaps the brief escape from daily labours. Walk into any Irish Pub anywhere in the world and the atmosphere is the same. When explorers finally discover the Lost City of Atlantis, the first building will probably be an Irish Pub showing Setanta and RTE.

At the Lucky Leprechaun Irish Pub in Orlando, they are screening all the Republic's Euro 2008 qualifiers live. Early morning kick-off, don't be late. The Leprechaun promise they'll do the Guinness, but please BYOB - Bring Your Own Breakfast. The sing-song will be laid on. If either Irish team fail to qualify, the stadia and hostelries of Austria and Hungary will be quieter, poorer places.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Best football supporters in the world we are.

Alan Hunter is our leader.

Olé, Olé!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Best football supporters in the world we are.

Olé, Olé!

A bit harsh, he was trying his best not to be patronising.

The simple reality is Irish fans equate not causing any signicficant trouble with being the best fans ever.

In my experience a large swathe of the Green Army are profoundly lacking in any football knowledge and culture and see the games as something to drink around. Which is fine, if they didnt profess to the the best fans in the world by going to just 4 internationals a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

A bit harsh, he was trying his best not to be patronising.

The simple reality is Irish fans equate not causing any signicficant trouble with being the best fans ever.

In my experience a large swathe of the Green Army are profoundly lacking in any football knowledge and culture and see the games as something to drink around. Which is fine, if they didnt profess to the the best fans in the world by going to just 4 internationals a year.

A bit harsher! I go to as many internationals as I can afford (which is one a year if lucky) and the Irish are the best in the world! 35,000 in Paris in 2003 for the WC qualifier all jarred singing Les Marseilles, the French loved us and they will again, this weekend. OK there is an increasing amount of corporate gobdaws but they are in the minority, to say that large swathes of the Green Army are profoundly lacking in football knowledge means you either don't go to games or your travelling with the wrong crowd.
    There is an element of 'we support Eircom League clubs and are the only true football supporters', on this site which I find quite annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

patmac wrote:
    There is an element of 'we support Eircom League clubs and are the only true football supporters', on this site which I find quite annoying.

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!!

I really don't know what to make of that article. It all depends on your definition of good fan i guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

It's the scumbags, who don't have a clue, they think the world revolves around the Ireland team, hence why they would cry after loosing to a far superior team like Czech Republic. The middle class have the best football knowledge in this country, on a purely players and team scale.

The corporate assholes and pieballs are the false fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

It's the scumbags, who don't have a clue, they think the world revolves around the Ireland team, hence why they would cry after loosing to a far superior team like Czech Republic. The middle class have the best football knowledge in this country, on a purely players and team scale.

I would of thought it was corpprate assholes that would say something like

"The middle class have the best football knowledge in this country, on a purely players and team scale."

what has class got to do with knowledge of a game?

how do you define a "real" fan

and what the hell is a false fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL :D

Best fans in the world.....worst manager in the world, nice one :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

A touch paradoxical given that the "corporate assholes" you talk about would indeed form the backbone of the middle class you mentioned who "have the best knowledge". You'd really want to tighten that post up a bit, I mean who are the "scumbags" you refer to? People who support LOI clubs?!

Are we the best fans because we don't cause any trouble on our travels? Or is that just a myth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I've been on many trips abroad and at home supporting Ireland... World Cup '94, qualifiers for euro and world cups... The most memorable being the game against France in Paris in October 2004 for the world cup qualifier.

30 to 40 thousand Irish people in Stade de France. That's half the capacity! The metro, the streets bunged with Irish. All enjoying themselves. Not once did I see a bit of trouble. The police etc laughing and joking on occasions. You wouldn't want to mess with some of those gendarme anyway // some scary, massive coppers :eek:

When the national anthem was sung that night the hair on the back of my neck was standing up. The atmosphere was amazing... Everyone there that night was proud to be Irish and I really do think that we were that extra man on the pitch that night.. That's what it means to be an Irish supporter.

Anyway, my point being, no matter how you get your ticket, be it corporate or not, at the end of the game you all are going to be in the same pub talking the same sh1te to each other about the game...

I've been fortunate enough to get the odd freebie ticket to games (rugby and soccer) from corporate sources. I'm just glad to get a ticket. I don't think that would make me any less of a 'supporter'.

Sport is a great leveler of classes (soccer in particular). I hope it stays like that for Irish sports. I was watching England vs Israel football game at wembley a couple of weeks ago and it took the corporate level about 15 minutes into the second half to completely fill up after they got their 'hospitality'. That is bullsh1t.. I don't think you'd ever see that at (the new) lansdowne road.

Sometimes I do get the sense for EL supporters that they think they are 'hard core' just because they go to league games etc. Fair play to them for doing that... I've never lived in an area for long enough that have had an EL team to support. I like to see Derry and Dundalk do well as my family is from Derry and I was in college in Dundalk and went to see them a couple of times per year. I look out for their scores and go to the odd game if either are playing in Dublin... I don't 'support' these teams as I don't have a strong affiliation to them. I think that is the case for a lot of people in Ireland as well. My Irish 'club' team is the national team.. I'm passionate about them like I am about Everton who I have supported since I was five...

All this 'I'm a better supporter than you' stuff is no good to anyone. Go to the game and support the national team in your own way no matter if you go once or 10 times per year..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yet you have lived in Dublin long enough to get a strong affiliation to a team in Liverpool ;)

• Advertisement

Yet you have lived in Dublin long enough to get a strong affiliation to a team in Liverpool ;)

I've only lived in Dublin for 4 years.... Grew up in Belfast and Meath ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah that explains it so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

WE are a small country so there is less numbers for a hooligan element to arise. Look at similar sized countries (wales ,scotland,belgium, etc) and their international fans cause no trouble generally either. I dont think we are the best fans(in general sense) in the world but arent worst either.

DSB wrote:
    Ah that explains it so.
    My point being, I've never had a long enough affiliation to a town where there was an EL team to support. I can't just decide one day to support shels or pats as I now live in Dublin.

If I had lived here since childhood and I went to the games for years, then its more likely that I'd support one of those teams now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

Peanuts Pub in calgary is the place to be to watch soccer. The Celtic Suuporters are there every weekend, yet when Ireland play, there is a joy and atmosphere that exists beyond anything else.

Guinness is served at 5:30am, the coffee is free and the $5 breakfast is fabulous. Ther have been folks that have driven in to Calgary from 2 hours away to catch that 5:30am match.

Now if only we could qualify. :(

When Slovakia scored to tie the mood was sombre, then the Englishman felt it necessary to rub it in. The English can certainly be horses arses.

The Turkey - Greece game even went without a hitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

DON'T MENTION THE WAR!!

LOL - the Sundireland AFC corporate tent at the galway races this year, Irish supporters - the best English Premier League supporters in the world :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

patmac wrote:
    Or perhaps you find it inconvenient and uncomfortable.
    How can we congratulate ourselves for being the 'best fans in the world', and engage in mass loss of marbles when the national team flops, when most of us don't support the game where we live?
    Can you imagine making the equivalent of that statement in a parallel thread on a rugby forum?

Advertisement