Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing 3 BB modem to other devices

Options
  • 19-09-2007 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before ...but more often than not I am getting about 1.5meg d/load and crappy upload speeds from my 3 BB modem. My question is can I share this connection with my Ps3 or xbox360....I realise because the upload speed is soooo poor it would be a waste of time trying to play any games online with these consoles on this connection but I would still like to be able to download games/updates and other stuff. Is there any hardware available that might be able to make this happen?

I'm sure the answer will more than likley be "no" but just thought I would ask so I can put it out of my mind altogether....

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Do you have the USB modem or the datacard?

For the datacard Linksys do the following - http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1160093298732&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

DLink have http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=525

Not sure about any thing for the USB modem but you could set up Internet Connection Sharing on your PC and you'd need a wired or wireless router too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 De Bong

I have a USB modem ....I have a netopia wifi router(1 supplied with eircom BB)sitting around the place somewhere but I was not sure if I could share the 3 BB connection to the wifi router....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

You can connect your to Xbox Live using your 360 using Internet Connection Sharing.

AFAIK there is no routers that work with the 3 USB modem service.

thanks everyone...

I connected the 360 to xbox live and even managed to have a couple games of pro evo online using the 3 modem last night when my connection speed was less than perfect...

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

I use connection sharing from a Mac Mini. There's at least one (very expensive) router which offers out-of-box support for the E220 USB modem, and there are a few cheaper routers with replaceable operating systems and USB ports which can apparently be made use the modem; in theory, anything that runs any vaguely modern operating system and supports USB serial devices and PPP should work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you get a Dlink DIR-450 or DIR-451 and update it to 1.01 firmware (US site) if it is only 1.00 UK then:
    E220 and others on USB port
    OR
    various cards on PCMCIA slot.

11b, 54g, or 108Mbps super Turbo WiFi + 4 ethernet ports.

Lots of settings for port forwarding, DMZ, VPN. DynDNS, servers etc.

About €160 from www.expansys.ie

However I have not tested it.

the 450 and 451 are same hardware. DIR-450 firmware is for USA EVDO and DIR-451 firmware is for 3G/HSDPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭KStaford

watty

Will this work with o2 e220 USB ? If the answer is "yes" then how sure are you ?

Thanks if u can help

k

watty wrote:
    If you get a Dlink DIR-450 or DIR-451 and update it to 1.01 firmware (US site) if it is only 1.00 UK then:
    E220 and others on USB port
    OR
    various cards on PCMCIA slot.

11b, 54g, or 108Mbps super Turbo WiFi + 4 ethernet ports.

Lots of settings for port forwarding, DMZ, VPN. DynDNS, servers etc.

About €160 from www.expansys.ie

However I have not tested it.

the 450 and 451 are same hardware. DIR-450 firmware is for USA EVDO and DIR-451 firmware is for 3G/HSDPA

I can't see why it wouldn't if you understand how to set it up.

But I can't offer any warrenty. I did upgrade the Firmware which added the E220 and other USB devices. The shipped "1.00 UK" firmware had a small list of options. The USA 1.01 DIR-451 firmware adds many options ( www.dlink.com ) for 3G/UMTS/HSDPA modems including E220 vodaphone and O2 3GT something..
    In theory any E220 setting should work with the correct manual parameters as copied of laptop profile editor for O2 laptop version of software.

You are on your own though.

right watty

I bought one of these puppies today - the DLink DIR-451. I emailed o2 last night to ask them if the router would work with the e220(USB) but got no reply. So I am basically gonna chance it. Ordered it from exapnsys and should have it next week.

Would any of you be interested to know how I get on ?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Ya, I'd like to know does it work, I want to get my PS3 online in college, but asking the questions anywhere else just gets me a nice amount of sarcasm...

• Advertisement

Any setup that gets my ps3 online I would be very interested in...

AFAIK
    The router should be arriving tomorrow (27/9/07)

Ok folks

the router arrived today. I went about upgrading the firmware to 1.01 (USA) as per watty's advice, but I noticed that it was already loaded with version 1.02_EU

I d/l the USA 1.01 file anyways and ran the upgrade, it seemed to do nothing and upon reboot of the router it is still displaying 1.02_EU.

But - heres the good news. I went ahead and looked at the 3g setup page and improvised, it worked. There is a number of dropdown boxes with a limited number of options.

For my o2 broadband, I chose the following settings

ISP - Card : 3 (this gives the Huawei e22 USB as a device option)
    Device : Huawei e220 USB
    Pin code : whatever you chose yourself (can be blank)
    Dial number : *99#
    APN : open.internet
    A lot of these settings can be got from your e220 dial up software
    (see attached image)

If you then go to the status page, you can click on the connect button. It takes a few seconds to connect but it works. My connection speeds are as they were when I was plugging the modem into my pc etc.
    (see second attached image)

So, now, I can experiment with placing this router and the e220 modem in the attic to see if I can get better connection speeds. If frees me up to be able to use my laptop around the house without having to worry about the position of the e220 etc and of course I can now share my 3g broadband to across wifi (yoohoo)

Thanks watty dude

I wonder where that can be downloaded? The UK/Ireland Dlink site has nothing and mine had only 1.00-UK and no E220 modem.
    It probabily doesn't let you load an older version.

108Mbps WiFi too, not just 54G, My Atheros card I upgraded my 11Mbps builtin laptop Mini-PCI works with Dlink 108Mbps.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm testing it with something else :)

So this will work with PS2 network Adaptor, Nintendo DS, PS3 and Xbox360 assuming your operator isn't blocking anything.

We have our PS/2 in DMZ of our ethernet router.

As a matter of interest - I emailed Dlink support to ask why the router is not supported outside USA

Heres the reply
    Dear Kieran,

as far as I am aware, the DIR-451 has only been released to selected customers so far, which is why it is not yet on our website.

If you require any assistance or documentation, we can make what we have available through our website, although being a new product, there is not much material beyond what is on the CD.

Best Regards,
    D-Link Support

Advertisement