Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the criteria for eligibility for council housing in Galway city?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

I have been on the housing list of Galway city council for eight years and I will be coming up for consideration soon. The thing is I want to add my boyfriend and his two sons to my application. He owns a piece of land. Will this effect my eligibility? If so, how?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

logo_ci_phone.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

I tried them. They didn't know. I was told to ask Threshold who didn't know either. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by asking council

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

galwaybabe wrote:
    I tried them. They didn't know. I was told to ask Threshold who didn't know either. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by asking council

If by "shoot yourself in the foot" you mean you would like to break the rules if the rules don't suit you?

If you don't want to break the rules then ask the council.

In fact even if you do want to break the rules ask the council.

Ask as a "what if" scenario either way. They will tell you what you need to know, and you can then choose to add or not add your boyfriend and his kids to your application. Just because you are asking what if, does not mean you are automatically going to add him.

And also don't break the rules, they are there for a reason, to make sure that those who need help the most get it. You wouldn't appreciate someone less deserving than you cutting in front, so don't do it to someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well said, Pope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭galwaybabe

If by "shoot yourself in the foot" you mean you would like to break the rules if the rules don't suit you?

If you don't want to break the rules then ask the council.

In fact even if you do want to break the rules ask the council.

Ask as a "what if" scenario either way. They will tell you what you need to know, and you can then choose to add or not add your boyfriend and his kids to your application. Just because you are asking what if, does not mean you are automatically going to add him.

And also don't break the rules, they are there for a reason, to make sure that those who need help the most get it. You wouldn't appreciate someone less deserving than you cutting in front, so don't do it to someone else.

Thanks for the advice, Pope Buckfast.

• Advertisement

galwaybabe wrote:
    Thanks for the advice, Pope Buckfast.

No Problem, I hope it works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 veva style

if its u that filled out the application and its going to be your name on the house .....why should your boyfriend details come into it ? if it was u that had the land it would effect your chances of being on the list

veva style wrote:
    if its u that filled out the application and its going to be your name on the house .....why should your boyfriend details come into it ? if it was u that had the land it would effect your chances of being on the list

Because if her Boyfriend and his children move into the house, without being part of the application she might be committing fraud. It's worth knowing your rights and legal position in situations like this.

Advertisement