Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Body Kits

Options
  • 19-09-2007 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Been looking at body kits and ive a question, there seems to be 3 main types of materials used....
    GRP glass fibre reinforced plastic
    Fibre glass
    ABS Plastic
    Is the GRP basically the exact same as fibre glass?????
    The abs plastic is the best and most durable but is the GRP any use or will it crack in cold weather
    any help taken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

For front bumper, I'd only use ABS. GRP is plastic reinforced by fibres. not sure how it'd take small bumps or stone chips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭nastysimon

Been looking at body kits and ive a question, there seems to be 3 main types of materials used....
    GRP glass fibre reinforced plastic
    Fibre glass
    ABS Plastic
    Is the GRP basically the exact same as fibre glass?????
    The abs plastic is the best and most durable but is the GRP any use or will it crack in cold weather
    any help taken
    GRP=Fibreglass (glass re-enforced plastic)
    As for which is best, it all depends on what you want. If you're looking for lightweight, CFRP (carbon fibre re-enforced plastic) is best, then aluminium, then GRP, then other. If durability is all that matters, ABS is probably your best bet.
    BTW, why do you want a body kit? Very few actually help in any way at all (though some like the look, many think they are laughable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

cheers. theres a serious difference in price between abs and grp....is there any advantages in fixing the body kit,ive been told teh cheap ones are horrible to put on and might not fit properly. IS the cheap kit a GRP kit, its still not cheap.
    Just thinking of putting an r32 bodkit on my golf. they look class.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Try and get an original one of a damaged golf, the ABS is the only one id put on a car, especially in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

where would i go about getting that,good chance that they will be damaged!
    i was thinking of getting the front bumper of ABS and the rest GRP, would there be a noticable difference?????

• Advertisement
Advertisement