Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Help Accessing the Internet on Linux Ubuntu

• 19-09-2007 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭

Hi
    Installed Linux Ubuntu on my computer yesterday, its a Pentium 4 Optiplex from Dell originally designed for Windows XP, and Id like to use the Internet on the computer. I have a USB Wireless Adaptor (D-Link GW122) and ive also got wireless connectivety in the house via a modem. Could anyone tell me either what programs I need to obtain or steps I need to take (or both) to solve this problem and access the Internet successfully.

Additionally, im finding that when I try to start a CD its telling me that it cant open .exe files and autorun the CDs. I am assuming this is because it has some kind of file wizard problem, in that it doesnt have a programme installed which would normally autorun CDs. Where can I obtain that, or am I wrong in this assumption?

Finally, and I apprichate any and all response, could you recommend some 'essential' Linux programmes you think I should have that I would manually have to seek out. The computer was literally empty so theres just Ubuntu Linux straight from the .iso disc on the computer. Anything you recommend I install to make life easier would be quite handy.

Please use simple language, im not a computer genius im afraid
    I apprichate your advice
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

All have to start somewhere with linux, and ubuntu is a good choice.

Usb wireless adapters can be tricky. Have a look at the dedicated ubuntu forum here. You should get all the help you need there, make sure to use the search function! It's likely this question has been asked and answered before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The CD you got with the wireless adapter won't do any good now unfortunately. If Ubuntu doesn't recognise the hardware by itself then try googling the model name + linux and try the manufacturer's website plus the official Ubuntu forums. Its possible that your model doesn't have linux drivers, which would be unfortunate as you'd need to get a new one.

The good news is that once your network hardware is up and running, connecting to the web is a breeze. Getting Ubuntu set up and running with everything you need can be a little tricky but its very rewarding. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

First and foremost, wrong forum. The Unix forum is over here. Linux is a form of Unix, so it is better suited to that forum.
    Could anyone tell me either what programs I need to obtain or steps I need to take (or both) to solve this problem and access the Internet successfully.

TBH, it really is a case of getting your hardware information and reading the documentation (try the Ubuntu forums). That is a common enough wireless card, so in theory it should work.
    Additionally, im finding that when I try to start a CD its telling me that it cant open .exe files and autorun the CDs. I am assuming this is because it has some kind of file wizard problem, in that it doesnt have a programme installed which would normally autorun CDs. Where can I obtain that, or am I wrong in this assumption?

Exe's are programs that run under Windows. They won't run under Linux, well at least not without a significant amount of work (google Wine - Wine Is Not an Emulator, not the drink :)). If you are a newbie, forget it.
    Finally, and I apprichate any and all response, could you recommend some 'essential' Linux programmes you think I should have that I would manually have to seek out. The computer was literally empty so theres just Ubuntu Linux straight from the .iso disc on the computer. Anything you recommend I install to make life easier would be quite handy

Define essential. What do you want to do? If you want to set up a webserver, then Apache could be considered essential. If you want to write a letter, then it wouldn't be considered essential.

There are actually a load of programs that come with Ubuntu, I'd say you just haven't found them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

one word: NDISWRAPPER

It takes windows drivers (it seems to be specifically aiming itself at wireless drivers lately) and gets them to work under windows. I got an SMC dongle thingamy to work a while ago with it.

I think it comes with the latest version of Ubuntu (not sure though)

Like has been suggested, check out the Ubuntu forums, they are a great place for information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Do you mean DW-G122?

Run lspci from the command prompt for more info about the card - paste the output into a post here for more help.

From http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_c-f/
    #
    Card: D-Link DWL-G122 (USB2 Dongle; would be helpful to specify the revision of the device the comments apply to: e.g., rev. A2 (see next card item) is Prism-based and quite different from some other revisions)

Chipset: Ralink RT2500USB
    usbid: 2001:3C00
    Driver: http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/Support/Linux.html Native Linux-usb-driver as of 2005-08-19. RT2500 works OK for USB, tried in Fedora 4, worked like a charm. (Ivo van Doorn (aka IvD) should be working on the RT2500USB which is needed. http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Developers is the place to look)
    Driver: 03/11/2004 1.00.13.0 on the CD (also latest found on dlink’s ftp site) works with ndiswrapper-0.12. (No idea what revision the dongle is.)
    Other: Works with WEP. Linux 2.6.7 and 2.6.9 with ndiswrapper-0.11. Woks with WPA-PSK using wpasupplicant (see the WPA Wiki).
    Driver: 07/15/2004 1.02.00.0000 on the www.dlink.de website works with ndiswrapper-1.1. P/N EDWLG122..B1, FCC ID:KA2DWLG122B1
    Driver: 04/01/2004 1.00.00.0000 from the CD works with ndiswrapper-1.1 The older(?) driver from binbash.de made problems after insmodding ndiswrapper in the kernel (see below). I am running Gentoo Linux with kernel 2.6.11-r6. The driver works with WPA-PKS (TKIP)
    Other: Using kernel 2.6.10-1.770_14.rhfc3.at, can hang initial modprobe if the dongle is plugged in, unplug it to get past problem. This version of the dongle is rt2500 based and NOT prism based (USA dlink site has wrong drivers!)

#
    Card: D-Link DWL-G122 rev. A2 (USB)

Chipset: Conexant GW3887 (Prism)
    usbid: 2001:3704
    Label: P/N: BWLG122NA.A2, FCC ID:RRK2004030017-1
    Native linux driver: http://jbnote.free.fr/prism54usb/ “prism54usb” for 2.6 kernels (as of 2005-Jul-14). I have not tried it.
    Driver: 08/05/2004, 3.00.22.0 on the CD (Drivers/PRISMA02.INF; I used it with Drivers/WinXP/PRISMA02.sys, inside, you can find the following: 1-Jul-2004 2.5.12.0), works with ndiswrapper-1.1, kernel 2.4.26 from ALTLinux (std-up-2.4.26-alt12). 19 Jan. 2007: NDIS driver v3.00.21.0 on the CD and v3.00.22.0 from D-Link website, works with ndiswrapper-1.34, kernel 2.6.17 from Kubuntu 6.10.

#
    Card: D-Link DWL-G122 rev. B1 (USB)

Chipset: Ralink 2500
    usbid: 2001:3c00
    Label: P/N: EDWLG122..B1 FCC ID:KA2DWLG122B1
    Native linux driver: Download from http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm Ralink. Tested with Fedora Core 4, kernel 2.6.13-1.1526_FC4.
    Driver: Latest WinXP driver downloaded from http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2DG122%5FrevB#.

#
    Card: D-Link DWL-G122 rev. C1 (USB)

Chipset: Ralink RT73 (RT2571W)
    usbid: 07d1:3c03
    Label: P/N: EDWLG122..C1G FCC ID:KA2DWLG122C1
    Driver: DR71WU.INF and DR71WU.SYS from the CD
    Native linux driver: Download from http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm Ralink. Tested with Fedora Core 4, kernel 2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 but need to edit a header file http://61.222.76.235/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=8430&sid=0fa796e956a79c1cfb3f4a33769c0547#8430.

#
    Card: D-Link DWL-G122 rev. D1 (USB)

Driver: WinXP driver coming from the CD.
    Other: Working great on Debian. Using Aptitude to instaill the ndiswrapper and start working immediately with kenerl 2.6.15.3. But after later upgraded to kernel 2.6.17.2, everything was fine until modprobe ndiswrapper with an error message “Module ndiswrapper not found.”. Then download the tar file from sourceforge.net and follow the instructions here. The adaptor works again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

You need the rt2800 drive . What version on Ubuntu are using, fisety has it in there reposity as far as I know .

Advertisement