Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sheet metal, where?

Options
  • 19-09-2007 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Would anyone know where I could get a sheet of metal, either aluminium, copper or steel? DIY shops don't stock what I'm after.

Size would be about 18" x 36" or thereabouts. Ideally it would be copper as I'm making a solar panel water heater, but that's supposed to be expensive in any great quantity, so aluminium would be the next choice, with the heavier steel last.

I'm in North Dublin/Ashbourne.

Thanks for any help with this.

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

You could try scrap dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Thanks for that, I forgot all about scrapyards. And there's even one near me in Ashbourne...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Benster wrote:

Ideally it would be copper as I'm making a solar panel water heater,

Please tell us more !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Could you cut what you want out of an old copper cylinder. Watch out for leaks if that's an issue!!

I too am curious as to what you're doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I know of a metal fabrication workshop on the Malahide Road near Kinsealy, I got a splashback cut to size for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

Avns1s wrote:
    I too am curious as to what you're doing.

Heh, you and me both. I'm trying to build a proof-of-concept panel (using the cheapest materials) that I hope will convince the missus that they are not just a gimmick, nor an expensive eye-sore on people's houses.

Call it a personal project, if you will (more like a quest at this stage, I've been talking about it for so long). With aforementioned metal sheet, I'm going to solder copper tubing to it in a snake fashion to form the heating element (painted black), then encase this in an insulated plywood box and cover with glass. The water-pumping gubbins hasn't been quite worked out yet, but once I get the panel done, I could start with a thermosiphon test to show that it does indeed heat water.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Ah now I see. Sounds good. Hope it works out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Anthony_1980

place called amari in fonthill do aluminium etc sheets

i work in a structural steel company but dont do anything other than steel

we buy off them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Hi benster. best of luck with your project. I have a working prototype using scrap materials. You will almost certainly need to pump your circuit as I had a problem with airlocking when I tried thermosiphon. (As water heats in the coil it gives off absorbed oxygen.) A 12 watt solar panel from maplins runs my pump from a camping supplier. The sun is the switch that turns the pump on or off. Pipe stat used to control pump. Got my ideas from a guy in thurles.
    Copper sheet is expensive but is available from www.coppergutters.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,417 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get coper from a scrap yard, alot cheaper.
    Don't use aluminium, won't be as good.
    And don't soilder the pipe to the sheet, not near strong enough. The stress from thermal expansions will pop it off. Braze it on, or even weld it.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭liberty 2007

Hi Benster,
    Copper is by far the best but steel will do, I might even have something suitable in the shed, I'll look in the morn. I've seen it done with old radiators. I gave a guy a hand recently who had bought the basic flat plate panel, from Denmark I think? (no glass,box, or insulation) built his own system on a shoe string.
    DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

I think there is a post in Green issues to do with someone using panel rads, painted black, to heat water in a cylinder.

Advertisement